1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Running hot, recent loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 01:47 AM
RickW2007
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running hot, recent loss of power

So I got everything fixed on my 94 ranger so I thought. Now it runs right on the "L" on the idiot gauge on 90 degree plus days running the AC. Also it seems to lose power at times and not even want to do 70. I think new coils, new plugs and wires may help. I also have an intermittent check engine light that pops up on occasion, but clears when you kill the motor and start it back up. I was really starting to like this truck despite it not being my style(I like square body rangers) and it being a 4 cylinder. I like the MPG but am starting to think the 200k engine may be fading

Old 05-31-2017, 10:05 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Don't throw parts at it & hope for joy. Perform a proper trouble shoot & replace bad parts as you find them.

With the mileage & unknown maintenance/repair history, a lot is on the suspect list. So, maybe begin by scanning the computer for trouble code clues & post up All code Numbers to help focus your trouble shoot.

Also since acquiring the vehicle, where is it on All past & present specified scheduled maintenance replacement items, like filters, fluids, PCV valve, O2 sensors, radiator cap, thermostat, coolant flush, along with the plugs & wires you mentioned?

If it's been cared for as specified by Ford, maybe all it needs is a little scheduled maintenance along with a code scan to help focus things that need attention.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:19 PM
RickW2007
Senior User
I would imagine based on the condition of the vehicle when I got it that it wasn't very well cared for.

Full list of things I've had to replace: harmonic balancer, rotors and pads, shoes and drums, power steering return line, power steering pump, A/C hoses, belt, A/C accumulater upper radiator hose (emptied and filled entire system with 50/50 mix), idler pulley, fuel air and oil filter with fresh oil. Lastly I ran some Lucas injector cleaner through Forest three tanks of fuel.

I was told the truck only sat for a year, and had A/C and power steering leaks when I bought it for $500. I've only had the truck for about 3-4 months. It ran normal temperature or below until the temperatures got above 90. There isn't a check engine light on all the time it just randomly comes on when driving and clears by cycling the key. Not very often even, and not directly related to loss of power because it doesn't come on when it's struggling to do 75 on the highway. If a 94 is OBDii (i hadn't even looked for a port too used to my 1990 being old style. I can scan it when I get home to check for stored codes

Old 05-31-2017, 01:13 PM
pawpaw
Ok so it's a 94 4banger, so it's OBD-1, with it's DLC under hood, but the good news is that you can pull pending, or set trouble code clues using a jumper wire & watching the dash CEL blink the code/s, if you don't have a scan tool, or code reader that'll hook up to the OBD-1 DLC to read the codes, or monitor things like fuel trim, engine coolant temp, ect that a good scan tool like a Actron CP9145, or the like, can do.

With about 200K on it, the above cooling system items I mentioned + a engine timing belt, idler pulley, water pump, the above mentioned thermostat & O2 sensor have all lived Two lifetimes, if not replaced some time in the past.
Maybe also consider a radiator cleaning out, seeing as how you suspect lack of prior good maintenance & are seeing the coolant temp peak in hot weather, which smacks of lack of proper coolant circulation, or excessive engine or radiator deposits that don't allow good heat conduction removal by the coolant, or maybe clogged radiator fins with bugs, paper, plastic, mud, or maybe the fan clutch or fluid is worn out & it's not pulling enough air through the radiator?

What kind of condition did you find the old coolant to be in when you replaced it?

With the unknown history & mileage on this puppy, all things belong on your suspect list.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:24 AM
pawpaw
I forgot the intermittent loss of power, since this puppy has unknown maintenance history, sat for a year or so & has the loss of power at speed, also perform a fuel pressure & volume test. Maybe also consider changing the fuel filter, even if the fuel pressure & flow test check out, if not previously changed, it's lived about 6.6 lifetimes, so could be clogged with debris & limiting flow during high demand at throttle up.

If after checking the fuel pressure & flow volume, changing the fuel filter, if you still have power problems after driving say 20 min, or so, or at highway speed, or on hard acceleration, pull over & loosen the gas cap & see if power returns, if it does, replace the gas cap with a Ford OEM type gas cap. If you have problems with folks stealing gas, opt for Fords Locking gas cap, that'll at least slow em down. If they're really determined, they'll just drop down & cut the fill hose to steal it though.

A bunch more thoughts for consideration, keep us posted on how the resurrection goes.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:21 PM
RickW2007
Senior User
Well I fixed the power issue. The new fuel filter I put on when I changed the oil and filters was already plugged. Must be trash in the tank. The running hot is still ongoing, but It never actually overheats so I'm thinking just a new thermostat will probably fix it.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:52 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
If not sure on how clean the coolant system is, I recommend you get one of the flush kits from orielly autozone etc. Its the one that is spliced into the heater hose. Flush the whole system even with the engine running and water till runs plain clean out of rad filler. When done undo lower rad hose to drain all. refill after R&R of tstat. I got a direct reading water temp setup from glow shift for mine as the stock system works intermittently even with new sender. Is spliced into upper hose and has 1 electrical hookup and a ground. Works fine, there is also a similar item avail for oil pressure just need to check with them. Fits between the filter and the filter mount. I have 2 pilar gauges for them.

One thing not mentioned in post is if timing belt if it uses one recently R&R'd Dont want to go to all the trouble to tear front apart again to get to it!

Old 06-09-2017, 10:14 PM
pawpaw
Ok, good find & feedback on the low engine power being caused by the new fuel filter already being clogged. Was it by chance sitting for that year without a gas cap?

Old 06-09-2017, 10:15 PM
RickW2007
Senior User
I'm not sure what condition the timing belt is in. I guess when I do the thermostat I'll check it and proceed accordingly. I haven't replaced it, and I have no idea of the maintenance before I got it. I know it started it's life as a telephone company vehicle(removed logo visible on doors), then in it's private life one brother drove it till he had problem sold it to the other, he let it sit. Now I own it. A couple of days ago it started making noise and now has a vibration over 45, Center support bearing has 1/2" of play. So new U-Joints and bearing this weekend, along with a new coat of blue paint.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:17 PM
RickW2007
Senior User
no it had the gas cap on it. I'll probably take the tank and clean it out this weekend since I'll already have the bed off for paint this weekend. My to do list seems to be getting longer and longer lol

Old 06-09-2017, 10:31 PM
RickW2007
Senior User
just going to put up this before picture, this is the condition it was sitting in when I bought it, with a busted windshield. It's actually a god awefull green(mix of rattle can and factory that don't exactly match) IDK why it shows up bluish on pictures taken on my phone.

This is my tailgate after I painted it last weekend, and what the whole truck is getting this weekend.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:36 PM
RickW2007
Senior User
actually looks way better in the before picture than it did in person. The interior being in great shape other than sagging headliner, and the fact I could drive it onto a trailer to get it home was the only reason I was willing to give $500

Old 06-10-2017, 10:26 PM
RickW2007
Senior User
Old 06-11-2017, 09:43 AM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
doesn't take much to make these look nice does it? Anyhow hope you dont get discouraged with it. But there are many who are looking for parts so if you deicde as what you have invested will not be realizable when the time comes. Kinda worked yourself into a corner. My 94 has 300000+ miles on it and runs like a top, just went thru emissions testing WITHOUT any preprep and it had no issues again. Yes I have put some $$ into keeping it up, but thats part of ownership of anything.

A set of wheels, mirrors from a 97 will do wonders for the apprearance. I have all the upgrade seats and electric windows and mirrors out of a wrecked on all bolt in. So once you figure out current problems there are things to do that can make it look newer and they are not expensive. My next project is installing a chrome front bumper which I picked up a couple of weeks ago!

Old 06-11-2017, 09:20 PM
RickW2007
Senior User
I'm still in pretty cheap even with all the work I've had to do. I think if i decided to get rid of it I could still break even, but I think I'm going to dig in a little deeper and keep it. The motor has been reliable other than the recent heat issues. I'm currently looking into a v8 swap though. A motor and tranny with all front accessories just popped up on local facebook buy and sell sites for $350.

Quick Reply: Running hot, recent loss of power