1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Am I Going Overboard Replacing the Cups While I Have The Injectors Out???

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 11:54 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Am I Going Overboard Replacing the Cups While I Have The Injectors Out???

Going to pull the injectors next week to replace the failing O-rings. I'm burning 1 quart of oil every 100 miles and everything points to the injector o-rings (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-band-aid.html).

The truck has 306K miles and I've never touched the injectors until now (I've owned it for 160K miles). I am considering replacing the injector cups since they've been in there for 15 years. I don't have any indications of cup problems but with everything apart I am leaning towards doing them as a preventive measure. Am I overthinking things? Am I paranoid? Am I the smartest person alive?

Also, what brushes do you guys recommend for cleaning out the bore for cups and/or injectors? I see that Riffraff has a couple of Alliant brushes (for injectors I think) and they are over $50. While I'm sure they are a perfect fit is there a kit that will cover things with more brushes for a better price. I remember seeing a couple of kit names/numbers in all the cup/injector threads I've been reading over the last week but don't know where I wrote them down at.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:09 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,481 Likes on 2,863 Posts
When I replace my injectors I do not plan to replace the cups, unless something indicates that I should when I get in there.

Just my .02

Old 05-28-2017, 01:23 PM
Bill Kay
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm with Sous on this one. I personally know a truck with 679K miles with the original cups and 2nd set of injectors.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:30 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X-3 on this. I am a big fan of "If it ain't broke don't fix it". I have never done cups but I do know that you can be opening a big can of worms for no reason.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:38 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
I'm a big fan of preventative maintenance, however, when it comes to cups..if it ain't broke, don't fix it

Old 05-28-2017, 07:02 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I changed my injectors around 300k just because I had the time, the weather was nice, and everyone said they should have already failed by then. Turns out I got no benefit from the new injectors other than a lighter wallet (and the part about them not failing at some point in the future).

I left the original cups alone when I put new injectors in. 560,000 miles on the truck now and the son in law is driving it with no issues or signs of leaking cups.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:41 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
If you do some searches on here about cup replacements (not the silicone kind ), you might find it is a whole 'nother level of work.

My notes: Only if you MUST. Buy beer. Call buddies. Update will

I wouldn't mess with them unless something indicates a need on a particular cylinder.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:55 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
I appreciate the feedback. I plan on keeping the truck until it dies so every time I go into something I try to do as much preventive work as my time (and wallet allows). It's easy to get caught up in the car salesman's "for just a few dollars more a month..." pitch. Once I park the truck to work on it everything seems to be interconnected and my mind starts to make a long list of things to do, then my wife let's me know what our wallet can do, then everybody here lets me know what I should do.

Thanks for the replies. Cups are off the list.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:06 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by brian42
I appreciate the feedback. I plan on keeping the truck until it dies so every time I go into something I try to do as much preventive work as my time (and wallet allows).
I have the same philosophy. But some things are more prone to be the proverbial can of worms that can toast your truck

I try to avoid those, too. I think you made a smart choice

Old 06-12-2017, 12:21 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
I removed the injectors this weekend. I haven't started the cleaning process yet but the passenger's side is a t-i-g-h-t fit. Cups are definitely going on the list to be done AFTER the engine is out for rebuild.

Thanks for all the inputs.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:11 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts
Good to hear, brian42. I was squiggling with the same "back of my mind" question as I still look forward to shimming and ringing my existing injectors. My gut was telling me pretty much what everyone else advised, and all of the collective experience and advice has confirmed that I also will NOT consider cups unless I see evidence of a true need when I pull the injectors.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:25 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
I removed the injectors this weekend. I haven't started the cleaning process yet but the passenger's side is a t-i-g-h-t fit. Cups are definitely going on the list to be done AFTER the engine is out for rebuild.

Thanks for all the inputs.
I should have gone with my gut.

306K miles (my gut) was telling me just get some cups and get it done while they are sitting there, exposed and lonely (I had to wait for injectors anyway). My wallet and my watch were telling me you've already spent enough moolah and time on this thing (parked for 2 months and counting) so why do something that doesn't need done?

This is why: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tor-cup-s.html

Too bad I don't like Snickers...I'm not going anywhere for awhile.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:36 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,481 Likes on 2,863 Posts

306K miles (my gut) was telling me just get some cups and get it done while they are sitting there, exposed and lonely (I had to wait for injectors anyway). My wallet and my watch were telling me you've already spent enough moolah and time on this thing (parked for 2 months and counting) so why do something that doesn't need done?

You will get it done brother. I made a reference to you having the only 2017 model year 7.3 in your driveline thread... Maybe you will get a bit of a chuckle from it.

Don't forget to take a lot of pictures and notes about your experiences with the tools and cleaning the old loctite out and what not. I will be reading your thoughts many, many times as I am staring at these same maintenance tasks.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:22 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend

Sorry about this bad luck

I was one of the ones who said don't open a can of worms if you don't have to...sorry for that, too

Hopefully they will be much easier than it appears and others have reported!

Old 07-07-2017, 09:47 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,192 Likes on 818 Posts
I've notice that there's been alot of injector cups failures lately since everybody has been converting to ELC? Maybe it's not only the e99 or older 7.3's that get affected by ELC eating the injector cup sealant maybe it's due more to the age of the sealant itself and not the ELC eating away??? I don't know but since I changed to ELC on my work truck I've noticed that the Degas bottle has darken a bit since the switch, with a very small hint of diesel smell......

Forgot to add mines an 01 with 406k

Quick Reply: Am I Going Overboard Replacing the Cups While I Have The Injectors Out???