1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

warning do not use champion cooling

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 11:17 AM
F1 coyote
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
Nah I didn't get pictures of the first one it was worse, the second one not as bad but certainly off, the be cool one wouldn't work why should I have to pay to weld a flange on it to accomadate the shroud and rework my core support so I can get my ac condenser to fit to get around them not welding the flanges on equally causing it to be cocked in the core support. I'm not sorry for rejecting these radiators I.m not sorry for the post. I'LL BUILD THIS TRUCK TO THE BEST STANDARD i CAN AND THAT'S IT.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:31 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 261 Likes on 164 Posts
I purchased a Champion, configured to install a SBC in my 1949 F4. The mounting flange holes were punched wrong as to position the radiator too low where it hit the truck mounting brackets. I called Champion and they offered to ship a new radiator, that they had had this problem surface before. They said I could redrill the holes and the radiator would still be warranted in their system. Since I was readying the truck for A TS event, I drilled the mounting holes and installed it. The radiator worked fine till I found a brass replacement, original looking at a bargain price at a Ford National meet. The Champion looked to be well made, I just did not like the looks of an aluminum radiator in an F4. A dusting of semi gloss black paint would not mask the fact it was an aluminum radiator.
This radiator is available at extremely low cost plus shipping in the original packing if anyone is interested.
BTW, it is the same as an F1
Edit: The radiator is no longer available.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:47 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 70 Likes on 69 Posts
Ya get what ya pay for, if you're lucky. For the price point the Champion radiators are a good value, I suppose. What did you expect, exactly, for a couple bills delivered to your door?

Old 06-06-2017, 07:21 PM
JohnCoruna
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 49f3dls
I don't think anyone was really trying to personally give you a hard time. With all of the good reports that company has had with a lot of the builds done with their product your comment to "not use them" for the reason you were rejecting the product was silly. The "defect" can hardly be seen unless you put the ruler there. It most likely doesn't effect the cooling function. Unless you pointed it out once installed even an "ACCA" judge probably wounldn't notice it. It is almost hard to believe you rejected 3 versions of this from one company and didn't like one from another company. This is suppose to be a fun hobby and most members on here want things done right and to look good but not to the point of being detriminal to the hobby.
We all enjoy seeing and hearing about projects and builds. Ask questions, give advice, post pictures, make mistakes but don't get upset when someone disagrees with you. Hell the differences of opinions are what makes this a great forum.
Hope to see more of your build soon.
Dave S
Well put. I also think that this is for fun and not to be so personal... otherwise, if I want to have a miserable life I would buy a Ferrari...

Old 06-07-2017, 03:48 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
I purchased a Champion, configured to install a SBC in my 1949 F4. The mounting flange holes were punched wrong as to position the radiator too low where it hit the truck mounting brackets. I called Champion and they offered to ship a new radiator, that they had had this problem surface before. They said I could redrill the holes and the radiator would still be warranted in their system. Since I was readying the truck for A TS event, I drilled the mounting holes and installed it. The radiator worked fine till I found a brass replacement, original looking at a bargain price at a Ford National meet. The Champion looked to be well made, I just did not like the looks of an aluminum radiator in an F4. A dusting of semi gloss black paint would not mask the fact it was an aluminum radiator.
This radiator is available at extremely low cost plus shipping in the original packing if anyone is interested.
BTW, it is the same as an F1
Raytasch, Wish you were closer to Arizona as I could use the radiator here.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:10 PM
F1 coyote
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
You are right, I apologize for the half butt comment. This is all about the fun of it and I do enjoy it. It was my first experience with this company and as we all know it wasn't a good one, so I just thought I would work out my frustration and put out a warning, no harm meant to anyone who has had a good experience with the company and the best of luck to those who intend to use them in the future.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:52 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you enjoy it. I think we will all enjoy your build. I think everyone of us that have tried to restore one of these old rigs has gone thru a time or two of total frustration. So don't sweat it just try to fix it and get back to enjoying the hobby. We need everyone that is willing to save one of these old trucks to enjoy it so they get others to join the madness. Get back to work on it soon and post pics. Have fun

Old 06-07-2017, 06:18 PM
Silver54
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now, that everyone is in good terms again, let's see more pictures of your truck F1 coyote! Always enjoy seeing truck pictures and I know it brightens anyone's day, no matter what condition the trucks are in