6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Boost question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 07:42 PM
VictorwithaC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost question

So I just ordered the spd tune from tsd. In the comments I made mention that my truck with the performance tune from sct, makes 35+psi of boost at wot. I am pretty well stock. I would make 28psi at wot stock tune. Now they said I could have an issue with my turbo as I shouldn't see those numbers. I thought 28 was good for stock? I know 35 is too high or at least I feel it is. My question is, I have no issues out of the turbo. It goes through the sweep fine, I can even actuate it full range of motion with my snap on scanner no issues. I see no turbo lag or anything to indicate an issue. Could my truck just not like that particular tune? Or could there be a bigger problem? All i have read says 28 is normal stock but i have yet to read anyone hitting the numbers i do with that tune. Just looking for some insight. Thanks again as always!

also I'm reading this with a mechanical gauge plumbed into the intake elbow.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:00 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Could be the gauge, 32 sounds more reasonable.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:08 PM
VictorwithaC
Senior User
Its possible. It does match up with torque pro exactly though usually. Is the overboosts a problem though? Like a broken part or something not functioning correctly? It will hit 30 at like 5/8 throttle. Just don't want to hurt something if it is an issue.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:21 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
If the numbers are correct, you are over boosting if the tune is not written for that. Is this a Custom file or canned tune from SCT?

Old 05-24-2017, 05:30 AM
VictorwithaC
Senior User
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
If the numbers are correct, you are over boosting if the tune is not written for that. Is this a Custom file or canned tune from SCT?
this its the canned tune from sct. I don't have the custom tune yet. Also what do i do for overboosting? I can't tell anything is wrong except that.

also if there was a hardware issue wouldn't it overboost no matter the tune? It only does on that one tune so I just don't understand.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:52 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Where is that reading coming from? Remember that the truck is designed to run 28psi and if over boosting, it will set a code for more than 4psi and for more than 5 seconds... so you have to meet both to get it to pop. But, if your turbo is that high... and your not ready to receive that high boost, reality.. it could pop something else, like heads.

With my stage 2 turbo, I see 34-35psi consistently, but only for a few seconds and then it comes down to around 30, then 28.7.

If your stock, I'd say you may have an issue but the tunes are written to fool certain parameters. If that's one of them, I'm not sure, to test that theory, load a stock tune.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:26 AM
VictorwithaC
Senior User
Originally Posted by WatsonR
Where is that reading coming from? Remember that the truck is designed to run 28psi and if over boosting, it will set a code for more than 4psi and for more than 5 seconds... so you have to meet both to get it to pop. But, if your turbo is that high... and your not ready to receive that high boost, reality.. it could pop something else, like heads.

With my stage 2 turbo, I see 34-35psi consistently, but only for a few seconds and then it comes down to around 30, then 28.7.

If your stock, I'd say you may have an issue but the tunes are written to fool certain parameters. If that's one of them, I'm not sure, to test that theory, load a stock tune.
I read from the intake elbow with a mechanical gauge. I tried to get it to do it coming into work but I couldn't get a free onramp to try. I will post back once I can. Highest I saw was 25 but that was just flooring it on the freeway. Maybe it was a fluke I stopped driving her hard once I saw it a few times cause I didn't wanna cause an issue.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:40 AM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
With a canned tow tune I will hit 30 or just a tick higher under the right circumstances. And won't break 28 with stock tunes. Just for comparison sake. That's with a new turbo, uppipes, EBS sensor and new map sensor. 35psi is a little scary.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:33 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
If only the one tune, sounds like the program.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:24 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
I would believe a mechanical gauge to show a higher number because the tune is fooling the PCM to prevent the wrench or a code P0299 to pop. What's the scan gauge showing for boost?

Didn't you just do head studs? EGR deleted? Bigger down pipe or opened exhaust? What does the stock tune show for boost numbers?

Old 05-24-2017, 09:50 AM
VictorwithaC
Senior User
I would believe a mechanical gauge to show a higher number because the tune is fooling the PCM to prevent the wrench or a code P0299 to pop. What's the scan gauge showing for boost?

Didn't you just do head studs? EGR deleted? Bigger down pipe or opened exhaust? What does the stock tune show for boost numbers?
35 was scary that's why I didn't do it again. Yes I just did studs, egr delete is about a year old, and no the up pipe is the same then 4in from the cat coupling to a 45 in front of the rear tire. I will report back from my ride home with what torque says for boost numbers but the issue is only with that tune, I've tried the other 3 with the sct with no issue. Stock I would see 28 wot on an on ramp with the mechanical gauge and torque pro.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:35 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Don't forget... it's the "PERFORMANCE" tune and may actually say in the hidden text that it shouldn't be used by non-studded trucks. And I know you've read and heard, those tunes can/do have risks involved with them... if your scared, unload the tune. Get Matt to make you a safe tune. I dumped those tunes long ago in favor of custom tuning, canned tunes are made for one size fits all...

I'm running the SLR extreme race tune with Atlas 40 and a stage 2 Barder turbo with everything the injectors can give.... no issues. Build the truck with modifications to support reliability and take advantage of the performance those give. Some tunes in the upper levels will need fuel mods.

An Atlas 40 would be very safe without stressing the truck or you. Something to consider if your not confident of the mechanical condition or prepared to spend the time and/or money to correct a weakness exposed by increase performance.

I really don't want to see increased boost numbers after a modification, I want lower numbers. It says I added a restriction if numbers are up! You want flow, increased flow means more air and bigger numbers for torque, lower EGTs!

Old 05-24-2017, 12:04 PM
VictorwithaC
Senior User
Don't forget... it's the "PERFORMANCE" tune and may actually say in the hidden text that it shouldn't be used by non-studded trucks. And I know you've read and heard, those tunes can/do have risks involved with them... if your scared, unload the tune. Get Matt to make you a safe tune. I dumped those tunes long ago in favor of custom tuning, canned tunes are made for one size fits all...

I'm running the SLR extreme race tune with Atlas 40 and a stage 2 Barder turbo with everything the injectors can give.... no issues. Build the truck with modifications to support reliability and take advantage of the performance those give. Some tunes in the upper levels will need fuel mods.

An Atlas 40 would be very safe without stressing the truck or you. Something to consider if your not confident of the mechanical condition or prepared to spend the time and/or money to correct a weakness exposed by increase performance.

I really don't want to see increased boost numbers after a modification, I want lower numbers. It says I added a restriction if numbers are up! You want flow, increased flow means more air and bigger numbers for torque, lower EGTs!
makes complete sense. I am studded but yea I did just order the spd tune from tsd so I think I'll be a lot happier with that. I drive carefully on this tune due to the issues I've had with it but it does yield the best fuel economy. I should have my custom tune in a few days so I can report back with that one loaded. I expect to find that all my issues are gone. I feel like if it were an actual mechanical problem it would be all the time. Ive been wanting to get some ficm tuning too but since I already have the sct I wanted to try a custom tune first and go from there.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:26 AM
VictorwithaC
Senior User
Alright boys looks like there isn't anything actually wrong. I have tried to get it to overboosts and it wont. I guess it was possible the first time I loaded it something was wrong as it definitely overboosted before. Either way seems like it doesn't do anything bad anymore. Weird I guess but I'm happy nothing's broken. My custom tune came today so I'm gonna try and get it loaded. Excited to try it out. Thanks to everyone who helped me out I'll remember the information for future problems.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:25 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Don't load the program and hammer it the first time out.

Quick Reply: Boost question