2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Fox Shocks vs OEM. Are they worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 05:45 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
You've been saying they're easy and I'm definitely interested. I've rebuilt motorcycle forks a hundred times but when I looked quickly at these, I can't see how to get into them. Dude, you need to to a video of how to rebuild Fox shocks. That would be epic.
Here's a complete shock rebuild on a 2.0 Reservoir Shock. If you are just valving, its seriously just the first couple steps. Either way, once you do one, it makes perfect sense how its all put together and you can knock em out in an afternoon.

Edit: Here's the rebuild kit for $9. Do this every 50k miles and they'll last longer than the truck. http://www.polyperformance.com/fox-2...k-rebuild-kits

Old 05-22-2017, 05:45 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,200 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by Dock/Rocker
Could someone put up some part numbers as well as the prt numbers for the conversion from poly performance? That would make life a little easier for those of us who are about to make a dontation to the Fox Gods.
Rears 980-24-647

Fronts 980-24-677

Bushing- 2 each
014-11-002-A

Sleeve- 2 each
213-28-007-B

Old 05-22-2017, 06:05 PM
Johnpsz
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice video and information as usual, great job...

Old 05-22-2017, 06:12 PM
Joneser5000
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great job on the video. I can confidently say your videos keep getting better and better. Pretty soon you can quit your day job and be a full time YouTuber hahaha

Old 05-22-2017, 06:21 PM
Rutcutter
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Great job Epic.. Now I need to get me a set on order.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:04 PM
das_16
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great video I have a set on mine well worth the money. Also Epic I have used a floor jack as well to install shocks the same way lol

Old 05-22-2017, 07:15 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I use a ratchet strap on mine, just loop it over the top and bottom of the shock, ratchet till the holes meet and put the bolt in.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:56 PM
BGMSPD
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Great video. The dealer is installing my Fox shocks before I even take possession. And he didn't even question my decision to trash the OEM shocks.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:08 PM
skanj0
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricon
I use a ratchet strap on mine, just loop it over the top and bottom of the shock, ratchet till the holes meet and put the bolt in.
This is how I did it on my 2016. Mount the upper portion of the shock and let the lower portion dangle. Then put a floor jack and a couple of blocks of wood under the rear box hitch. Lift the rear of the truck until the lower shock bolts line up. In the front jack under the front frame rail behind the bumper. Use a chunk of 4x6 on the jack plate and lift exactly where you want.

Easy Peasy. Use at your own risk. No warranty implied or expressed.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:47 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,779 Likes on 2,765 Posts
Sweet video Epic. It's good to see a test with some numbers to back it up. I have no doubt that the Fox shocks are better than the crappy OEM shocks.

I've use the floor jack like you did but lately I've been putting a jackstand under the frame and then raising or lowering the axle to meet the shock. It's a little more controlled and I don't have to worry about the shock being under tension. But your method is faster. The older I get the more I look for the safer way to do things.

As far as rebuilding shocks goes, I have Sway-a-way shocks on my 1/2 ton truck that have been rebuilt three times. The rear shocks cost $400 to be rebuilt by a professional the last time. At that cost I can buy a full set of four Bilsteins. Could I rebuild the shocks myself? Probably, but I don't really want to learn to do that nor do I want to spend my time on it. Revalving? Like I want to go through that effort? Nope. I like to DIY as much as the next guy but I have more important things to do. I provided this commentary to let people know that a "rebuildable" shock isn't all that great of a selling point. (This paragraph was not directed in any way at EpicCowlick)

Old 05-22-2017, 10:34 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I love hearing the different methods to mount the shocks. I find it endlessly fascination how different people find such different methods to accomplish the same need. In my case, I've always gone with what my dad taught me.

As to the rebuilding, that's dependent upon any given person's convergence of willingness and ability. I suspect most people can do it but are unwilling and vice versa. It's probably a very small minority who will actually rebuild their own. Then there's the folks like myself who will mentally obsess over it until I do it and can say I've been there and done that and got the t-shirt. Just something else to learn.

One thing that was revealing to me through this test was how important the bump stops are. I really didn't know that they are used as much as they are. I guess I've always known that the Super Duty suspension travel has been nothing to write home about but it's eye opening to see how little there is. And to see how much they compress when engaged was also surprising. They're pretty stiff to the hand but sure flex on the truck.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:38 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 443 Likes on 140 Posts
I just wanted to say thank you for abusing your truck in ways that I never would, just for our enjoyment/learning.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:49 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
I just wanted to say thank you for abusing your truck in ways that I never would, just for our enjoyment/learning.
Just making sure the Ford Engineers accounted for my type. They did.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:37 AM
matrix311
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great video and thanks for posting it. Today I just installed the BDS 2" level kit with the BDS tuned Fox 2.0 shocks all around. My Lariat did not have the FX4 package so it didnt come with the Rancho shocks like most everyone else has. So going from super basic shocks to the Fox 2.0's I noticed an improvement right away especially over the washboard type bumps. I'm happy with the upgrade so far, I feel its worth it for me.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:04 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,200 Likes on 574 Posts
Neither Epic or I have the FX4 and we can confirm that the standard black shocks are no better than the fake Rancho's in the FX4. (One of his already blew and was replaced by the dealer before he did the FOX upgrade.) The improvement of the FOX 2.0's is across the board...

Quick Reply: Fox Shocks vs OEM. Are they worth it?