2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
View Poll Results: Does, or has your 2017+ Super Duty Panoramic Sunroof had leaking problems?
No
90.72%
Yes
9.28%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Does your Sunroof leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 11:17 AM
reseehc_99
Tuned
Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Can we add a third option to the poll? Something like, "I don't have a truck yet or my truck doesn't have a sunroof but I still want to see the results of the poll"? So us lurkers can see numbers without affecting the poll outcome.

Edit: I just found the "show results" link. I'm going to blame the mobile app for my oversight. Carry on.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:35 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Picked up last Halloween and go through tunnel car wash a couple times a week. Lots of high pressure sprayers in there. It's also been out in a few big downpours. No leaks. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:47 AM
TrikeDawg
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My moonroof didn't leak until after using a tunnel type car wash multiple times deteriorating the seal around the sliding and fixed portions of the glass. Both glass panels were replaced under warranty.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:08 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by TrikeDawg
My moonroof didn't leak until after using a tunnel type car wash multiple times deteriorating the seal around the sliding and fixed portions of the glass. Both glass panels were replaced under warranty.
It was your photos that made me look closely at mine. A-OK in my case. Clearly "high pressure" is not equal in all locations.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:01 PM
2017SD
New User
Had mine for a month now and taken through several car washes. Haven't found any leaks.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:05 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 535 Likes on 259 Posts
It appears that the overwhelming majority (very early at this point) have no issues.

I do recall a magazine reviewing the then-new Lexus SC430 sports car with a retractable hard top...which has similar seams to our panoramic moonroofs...and they employed the services of a local fire department to blast the seams with standard 2.5" fire hose line...no leaks.

The point about the auto car washes and the tall trucks is well taken...but Ford is also aware of this. If it really is a problem, they should include an excerpt in the manual warning not to take trucks through these car washes...

Old 05-18-2017, 06:36 PM
TrikeDawg
Tuned
The car wash I'm using now turns the high pressure jets off for high profile trucks with moon roofs to keep it from damaging others.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:51 PM
tpalmer007
Senior User
I've had mine for a week and there's a pretty substantial leak on the passenger side where the fixed panel meets the sliding panel. You can see it draining into the gutter so I haven't experienced any water in the cab. I'll make an appointment at the dealer in the next week or two.

Old 05-20-2017, 02:50 PM
Mike Mihlfried
Junior User
interesting poll that I am watching closely since I ordered a lariat ultimate package. I think for true results we would need more respondents. What would also be interesting is to find out at what rate other components fail on a "new" truck whatever that parameter is. Do the led headlights fail at a 6% rate, what about transmissions etc. If every component had a 6% fail rate there would be a massive back log for service work I am assuming. So I guess what I am saying is I think the 6% rate is High and with my luck I am worried.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:58 PM
The Big Tow
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure it's fair to blame a Car Wash for your sunroof leaking. At least, not in modern times...... Unless it's one of those nasty ones that just beats the living crap out of your vehicle.

We need to avoid those no matter what we drive. Unless it's a chevrolet. Then, who cares anyway??

You get out on the road, driving 80 MPH in a rain, light rain or whatever, and I don't believe a Car Wash can match that kind of force hitting your roof. Plus, most Car Wash nozzles that clean your roof spray straight down which, it seems to me, would be the least likely way to get water in your vehicle or to damage any seals. Or walruses.

I think what happens is, people leave their Truck out at night after it gets rained on and the water pools in little nicks, crevices and crannies and then --

Freezes. A hard freeze.

Ever seen what freezing rain and snow does to your roads up there? It ain't pretty.

The reason I won't have a moon/sunroof is because, when I'm up North, I won't have a garage to keep it in.

But even if I did have a garage to keep my Truck in, I'd be wary of water pooling in the wrong area and freezing.

I'd like to have one, but I'm askeert.

And it rains just a tad in South Florida.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:00 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 535 Likes on 259 Posts
Bad analogy. Stick your hand out your window when driving 80mph in the rain. Yeah, you feel it...but not that bad. Now stick you hand in front of a pressure washer...watch your skin come off...and tell me it's the same.

I live in central NH and my truck stays outside...including all winter...and it doesn't leak.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:37 PM
jackfordsd350
Laughing Gas
Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Mihlfried
interesting poll that I am watching closely since I ordered a lariat ultimate package. I think for true results we would need more respondents. What would also be interesting is to find out at what rate other components fail on a "new" truck whatever that parameter is. Do the led headlights fail at a 6% rate, what about transmissions etc. If every component had a 6% fail rate there would be a massive back log for service work I am assuming. So I guess what I am saying is I think the 6% rate is High and with my luck I am worried.
After six months I do not have any leaks and I cannot find any problem items on the truck. It is a fully loaded lariat ultimate package and it is perfect. You have ordered a fantastic truck and you are going to really enjoy it.Do not worry.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:49 PM
Mike Mihlfried
Junior User
Originally Posted by jackfordsd350
After six months I do not have any leaks and I cannot find any problem items on the truck. It is a fully loaded lariat ultimate package and it is perfect. You have ordered a fantastic truck and you are going to really enjoy it.Do not worry.

Thanks for the pep talk, looks like we are going to be driving the same truck lol from your pic looks like white gold over caribou. I have a white gold over caribou ultimate lariat, led headlight, 350ccsb coming in a couple of months. blis, ultimate tow camera package, adaptive cruise, power boards. Can't wait!

Old 05-21-2017, 07:37 AM
Cabindweller
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine only leaks in the carwash. I guess I'm done taking my truck through.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:34 AM
kylant
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts
mine dips from the junction of the the 2 panels into the channel. never drips past the headliner, nor has it been wet. I am assuming the drains are doing their job

we had a very big snows and very big heavy rains this winter

Quick Reply: Poll: Does your Sunroof leak?