1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

58 F100 Flareside - Now what!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 08:37 PM
Vermont_Blue
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hest_c
Hey Vermont_Blue, hope the restoration is coming along! If you are looking at swapping in new distributor and cap you may want to consider the Pertronix.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N2U5PU...=I35Q1MICN5K45

Everyone that I've talked to that has used this loves it. I haven't bought it yet b/c of other projects around the house, but it's the first thing I'm buying next month to wrap up the ignition and wiring on my truck.

Hope to hear some good news soon that your's started with no issues!
Hest_c

I bought a distributor cap, new cables, the rotor and the coil. I picked those all up at my local auto parts store. Thanks for the recommendation, I bought too quickly. I do appreciate the suggestion though.

I'm wondering how I am going to get the truck to crank. I think I'm going to do what Hardleyrider suggests and use a small can of gas to see if the engine turns over. I've seen on YouTube videos that they use a screwdriver to spark the starter to crank the motor. The ignition in the cab of the truck appears to be shot. Do I need to fix that first before I test start? Is it possible to splice the wires and jump the truck as they do in the movies?

Vermont_Blue

Old 05-26-2017, 08:40 PM
Vermont_Blue
Freshman User
I am unable to pull out the gas tank. I removed the steal belts removed all the screws holding it in (I believe). It's slides side to side up-and-down but I cannot make it pop out. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've been under the truck I don't see what's holding it in place.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:48 PM
Vermont_Blue
Freshman User
Originally Posted by hardlyrider
More than the rotor and cap would be the points and condenser, unless you decide to go the PerTronix route. The rotor and cap could be okay, but they are cheap to replace and as well be done all at the same time. On the other hand, you mentioned earlier some "clicking" and/or "clanking" when the motor spins. Before you get too far with new parts, you might want to further investigate the condition of the internal engine parts. If it is spinning freely, then you can proceed with the ignition parts and necessary fuel parts (carb, fuel pump, etc) and a clean source of fuel (i.e. a small gas can the pump can draw from). I wouldn't worry with the condition of the gas tank until I knew the engine would run. At that point, you can remove and clean it if need be.
Hardlyrider, I hear you. It turns freely counterclockwise. I am determined to start this motor. My hope is to crank it over this long holiday weekend but I'm behind the curb it seems. I think I will get a new carburetor for it and a new fuel pump if I can confirm it's going to work. Although, it may need those parts to make it work. The family said it would start. We'll see.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:25 AM
GreenMtnMan
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
You have a nice pickup here. I like to keep my stuff as original as possible. Being from Vermont myself, I wondered how you chose your username.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:34 AM
Vermont_Blue
Freshman User
@GreenMtnMan

The name has a good ring to it.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:52 AM
GreenMtnMan
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Hmmmm, maybe I'll call myself Colorado red??? You're not missing much here, this state has ah...... changed since the days of my youth.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:07 PM
Vermont_Blue
Freshman User
Originally Posted by GreenMtnMan
Hmmmm, maybe I'll call myself Colorado red??? You're not missing much here, this state has ah...... changed since the days of my youth.
Colorado_Red has a good ring to it!

Old 06-07-2017, 02:29 PM
hest_c
Junior User
Glad you were able to get the new parts anyhow. Just an upgrade for the future then!

As for starting without the ignition switch, you got me on that one. I've not been around long enough to learn how to jump start cars like you see in the movies! I know you can buy a starter switch that you see guys use in car videos online, I just have no idea how to use them. I do know that the ignition switch isn't too expensive (worth having two around b/c they can take a crap at any point!) so maybe just get that and work from there? Using a gas can is a good way to do a quick check without adding anything to the tank too, that way when you have to remove the tank you won't have to worry about spills.

Good luck getting it fired up, nothing better than having that done and checking it off the list!

Old 06-07-2017, 02:30 PM
hest_c
Junior User
Great deal on KD Tools 124 at ToolTopia.com

This is an example of what I've seen on auto tv shows.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:43 AM
Vermont_Blue
Freshman User
Excellent feedback Hest_c. I'm back in town looking forward to working on it. I'll need to get an ignition like you said. That's what I'll order tomorrow.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:44 AM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Jump starting is easy . You will have to hot wire it, literally.

Run a wire from the battery + (this will be the hot wire hence the term hot wring) to the coil feed. This will energize the ignition system.

Jump the S terminal on the starter relay to the battery fed side of the starter relay this will turn the engine over.

Do not run the engine for an extended period of time hot wired as you will eventually burn the points and cook the coil.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:40 PM
Vermont_Blue
Freshman User
Originally Posted by matthewq4b
Jump starting is easy . You will have to hot wire it, literally.

Run a wire from the battery + (this will be the hot wire hence the term hot wring) to the coil feed. This will energize the ignition system.

Jump the S terminal on the starter relay to the battery fed side of the starter relay this will turn the engine over.

Do not run the engine for an extended period of time hot wired as you will eventually burn the points and cook the coil.
Thanks for the pointers Matthew. How do I shut the truck off; do I simply unplug the coil?

Old 06-14-2017, 10:18 AM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Vermont_Blue
Thanks for the pointers Matthew. How do I shut the truck off; do I simply unplug the coil?
Simply remove the hot wire from the battery. That de-energizes the ignition.