Sponsored by:

The Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 10:39 PM
alatexan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Search

Like several before me, I've been lurking on this forum and researching Excursions for quite some time. Been strongly considering getting one seriously for a few months now, but I'm having a hard time sorting through what's available out there and making a decision. This seems to be a very friendly and helpful community so I thought I'd seek out some advice.

First, I currently have a (relatively) low-mileage 2003 Suburban. I don't hate it, but only got it as a (potentially long-term) stop-gap until I could figure out something more permanent since I had to unexpectedly get rid of my prior vehicle. While I'm sure it could service me well for a few years, I'm looking for a truck that could be a 5-10 year type vehicle. I want it to not only comfortably hold my family of 7, but also hold enough of our stuff to handle our frequent vacations and camping trips (4wd would be nice but not necessarily a deal-breaker). It will also be my daily driver (~20 mile commute).

Ultimately, I believe the Suburban can handle these tasks, but I'm really interested in the longevity/durability of the diesel Excursions. I've seen many here who swear by the 7.3 and others who have encouraged folks not shy away from the 6.0 (even some folks partial to the V10 although I would assume those probably won't have the longevity you can get from the diesels).

That's a long wind-up but what are your thoughts about getting an Excursion to meet these goals? Am I really going to get a substantially longer life out of the Ex than a Suburban? The price differential is such that I would think the diesel Excursions will give me many more years/miles, but want to know how much more. If so, should I specifically target a 7.3 vs. a 6.0?

Anything I should specifically be looking for and/or ask about when evaluating potential trucks? I'm a relative novice and unfortunately, there just aren't enough of them close enough that you can go down the block and take a look at several of them, so this is a very internet-intensive search.

I've been generally looking at both 7.3s and 6.0s with mileage as close to 150k as possible. Again, prefer 4x4, but not an absolute must. Budget-wise, I'd like to get close to $15k or under but have a little flexibility for the right truck.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:10 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
What part of Texas you in?

Old 05-09-2017, 06:51 AM
alatexan
New User
Originally Posted by Nicmike
What part of Texas you in?
Dallas area.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:30 AM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Your budget is your budget.... but beyond dollars here's my thoughts, I'll try to keep it simple.

If your not towing... stick with a Suburban. No advantage with an Excursion unless you "want" one, then advise is unnecessary.

Assuming you're not towing and you do want one, the gasser is less complex and quieter.... better choice as a daily driver if gas mileage is a non issue. If it is go back to the Suburban.

Longevity vs performance is basically the difference between the 7.3 and the 6.0. Since you did not mention performance.... the 7.3 would be the better choice.

If the 6.0 is what's available then the latest year (05) with studs and deletes is what I would look for.

In general the Excursion platform (all years) performs and serves the driver best with some suspension mods, however stay away from lifts over 4" .

For me and my application.... I tow a lot, often heavy, so I went with the 7.3 and 4WD due to slippery boat ramps and going off the beaten trail. I have moderate suspension, intake, exhaust modifications and a tuner. I get excellent fuel mileage (20+ highway unloaded) and the performance is just fine for me. Completely reliable and totally trustworthy.

My biggest "expense" for repair is the front end rebuild... essentially everything from steering box to unit bearings.

... just sayn'

Old 05-09-2017, 08:35 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Go test drive an Excursion. I mean really test drive one. Spend 30 mins in that thing.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:08 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
I believe you'll have to up go around $2000 If you really want a 2005 4x4 6.0. Remember that you're buying a 15yr old vehicle and you will have miscellaneous parts and repairs that will need to be done. Repairs can be very costly to have a 6.0 compared to the 7.3. For whatever route you decide to take, be ready to dump at least a grand. Good luck

Old 05-09-2017, 05:37 PM
alatexan
New User
Originally Posted by DavenTn
Your budget is your budget.... but beyond dollars here's my thoughts, I'll try to keep it simple.

If your not towing... stick with a Suburban. No advantage with an Excursion unless you "want" one, then advise is unnecessary.

Assuming you're not towing and you do want one, the gasser is less complex and quieter.... better choice as a daily driver if gas mileage is a non issue. If it is go back to the Suburban.

Longevity vs performance is basically the difference between the 7.3 and the 6.0. Since you did not mention performance.... the 7.3 would be the better choice.

If the 6.0 is what's available then the latest year (05) with studs and deletes is what I would look for.

In general the Excursion platform (all years) performs and serves the driver best with some suspension mods, however stay away from lifts over 4" .

For me and my application.... I tow a lot, often heavy, so I went with the 7.3 and 4WD due to slippery boat ramps and going off the beaten trail. I have moderate suspension, intake, exhaust modifications and a tuner. I get excellent fuel mileage (20+ highway unloaded) and the performance is just fine for me. Completely reliable and totally trustworthy.

My biggest "expense" for repair is the front end rebuild... essentially everything from steering box to unit bearings.

... just sayn'
Thanks for the feedback. I plan to tow on occasion but relatively rarely. Like I said, my primary interest is the longevity/reliability. In that regard, is the 7.3 (or "bulletproofed" 6.0) going to deliver that much more effectively than a similar vintage Suburban? Based on what you said, I assume the answer is yes with respect to the 7.3. Market values would also indicate that is true, but wondering how much extra longevity/reliability you get for that extra $.

Originally Posted by Nicmike
Go test drive an Excursion. I mean really test drive one. Spend 30 mins in that thing.
Probably the best advice I've read on this board in months of lurking. Plan to do so this week. There are a handful available within ~50 miles of my location and would probably serve me well to get the hands-on experience. Like I said, it is more difficult than shopping for a more readily available vehicle since they are so relatively rare.

Anything I should specifically evaluate/note?

Originally Posted by hwybee22
I believe you'll have to up go around $2000 If you really want a 2005 4x4 6.0. Remember that you're buying a 15yr old vehicle and you will have miscellaneous parts and repairs that will need to be done. Repairs can be very costly to have a 6.0 compared to the 7.3. For whatever route you decide to take, be ready to dump at least a grand. Good luck
Have read that the '03 6.0 was problematic. Any reason to steer clear of the '04?

Thanks again for all the help.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:04 AM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by alatexan
Thanks for the feedback. I plan to tow on occasion but relatively rarely. Like I said, my primary interest is the longevity/reliability. In that regard, is the 7.3 (or "bulletproofed" 6.0) going to deliver that much more effectively than a similar vintage Suburban? Based on what you said, I assume the answer is yes with respect to the 7.3. Market values would also indicate that is true, but wondering how much extra longevity/reliability you get for that extra $.

Probably the best advice I've read on this board in months of lurking. Plan to do so this week. There are a handful available within ~50 miles of my location and would probably serve me well to get the hands-on experience. Like I said, it is more difficult than shopping for a more readily available vehicle since they are so relatively rare.

Have read that the '03 6.0 was problematic. Any reason to steer clear of the '04?

Thanks again for all the help.
A late model Suburban with a 6.0 gasser will give you what you ask for as far as reliability and longevity. In fact if you replaced the engine you'd still be ahead. What sets the Excursion apart from all other SUV's is it's ability to tow heavy, carry 8 ppl and have room to haul a bunch of stuff. The Burb does all that but can't tow heavy unless you get the 3/4 ton version. The 8.1 is great towing but the 6.0 works too hard IMO. The mileage sucks big time compared to my truck.

I love my truck for what it does or can do.... but if I didn't tow heavy, then it becomes a "battleship" of sorts, very cool but outdated. I drive the Ex for very objective reasons and that's why it's a perfect fit for me. My daily driver is a Highlander, well it's the wife's car and her choice but she still makes me drive. She likes the Ex too for the same reasons as me, but not as a daily driver.

When I drove my first Ex.... I thought cool, big, good visibility but drives like crap. Suburban owners won't make eye contact, so that's fun ... but parking it? and turning? driving down the road? what a pain. However after fixing the front end , now it drives on rails, straight and true but that doesn't change the parking and turning.

I still think .... it's cool and big.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:54 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Originally Posted by alatexan
Turning radius, acceleration, braking, steering at highway speeds, how bumpy (or not bumpy) the ride is. We already know the room is there. We know the towing capacity is there with any of the big 3 engines (don't get a 5.4L gasser). The question is whether you like the above mentioned items well enough (or not dislike them enough) to want/buy one.

As Dave mentioned, if the suspension has not already been addressed, it will be all over the road at highway speeds (needs constant feedback from you through the steering wheel to go straight). We have found the solutions to that problem, but they are not free. You will need to put the right springs on and get the caster set right. Rear anti-sway bar if it doesn't have one.

Many of us here modify our Excursions because we want to. You don't have to do all the things we do, but it sure is fun wrenching on these things and "making them a little better" (even if it is all in our heads sometimes).

Old 05-10-2017, 12:39 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I daily drive mine and had a 1995 Suburban 4x4 before that. The suburban was very comfortable and pretty easy to work on but I still prefer the "truckness" of the Excursion on a daily basis (plus it needs worked on less :-) I also believe that the V10, given a good maintenance schedule and care, has every chance to do as many miles as the oil burners, and probably cost less doing it. Plenty of 200K mile+ examples out there. It wont pull heavy loads up a hill as fast as the turbo diesels, but it also isn't as expensive to maintain, repair or replace. Ultimately, get the one you want, but do post many photos of it here so we can help you negotiate and avoid some potential issues.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:29 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
I own the 6.0 and I refuse to tow with it, granted, I'm not "Bulletproofed". Just because it bulletproofed, doesn't mean you still can't have head gasket problems. A lot of guys tow without issue, but the key is maintenance for these hot rods. The 6.0 doesn't like to be babied and mine is driven like I stole it. Don't let the 6.0 scare you, but be prepared that it can happen to anyone.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:36 PM
alatexan
New User
A late model Suburban with a 6.0 gasser will give you what you ask for as far as reliability and longevity. In fact if you replaced the engine you'd still be ahead. What sets the Excursion apart from all other SUV's is it's ability to tow heavy, carry 8 ppl and have room to haul a bunch of stuff. The Burb does all that but can't tow heavy unless you get the 3/4 ton version. The 8.1 is great towing but the 6.0 works too hard IMO. The mileage sucks big time compared to my truck.

I love my truck for what it does or can do.... but if I didn't tow heavy, then it becomes a "battleship" of sorts, very cool but outdated. I drive the Ex for very objective reasons and that's why it's a perfect fit for me. My daily driver is a Highlander, well it's the wife's car and her choice but she still makes me drive. She likes the Ex too for the same reasons as me, but not as a daily driver.

When I drove my first Ex.... I thought cool, big, good visibility but drives like crap. Suburban owners won't make eye contact, so that's fun ... but parking it? and turning? driving down the road? what a pain. However after fixing the front end , now it drives on rails, straight and true but that doesn't change the parking and turning.

I still think .... it's cool and big.
My Suburban is the 5.3 so I'm assuming all I'm missing out on vs. the Excursions is the heavy tow and the potential reliability/durability. It does have surprisingly good turning radius which comes in handy when I'm in a tight Dallas-area parking lot.

Originally Posted by 05MilMachine
I daily drive mine and had a 1995 Suburban 4x4 before that. The suburban was very comfortable and pretty easy to work on but I still prefer the "truckness" of the Excursion on a daily basis (plus it needs worked on less :-) I also believe that the V10, given a good maintenance schedule and care, has every chance to do as many miles as the oil burners, and probably cost less doing it. Plenty of 200K mile+ examples out there. It wont pull heavy loads up a hill as fast as the turbo diesels, but it also isn't as expensive to maintain, repair or replace. Ultimately, get the one you want, but do post many photos of it here so we can help you negotiate and avoid some potential issues.
Will definitely be coming back for feedback as I look for "the one."

Originally Posted by hwybee22
I own the 6.0 and I refuse to tow with it, granted, I'm not "Bulletproofed". Just because it bulletproofed, doesn't mean you still can't have head gasket problems. A lot of guys tow without issue, but the key is maintenance for these hot rods. The 6.0 doesn't like to be babied and mine is driven like I stole it. Don't let the 6.0 scare you, but be prepared that it can happen to anyone.
Exactly the advice I've read countless times now....Don't be scared off by the 6.0, but also don't be surprised when you get burned. I assume there is truth in the advice to avoid the '03 6.0?

Old 05-12-2017, 06:55 AM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
The 6.0 was constantly improved until 07, then it went out of production.

Just to be clear... objective reasons to buy a vehicle is the best idea, but we all know if your looking at an Ex.... there is a lot of subjectivity involved when anyone is looking to buy a 12-17 year old SUV design. You too can become an "enthusiast".

Old 05-12-2017, 11:52 PM
Sounnder
Freshman User
The search

I may have the Excursion you are looking for. Feel free to email me if you are seriously interested in buying and I will send you the details.

sounnder@comcast.net

Old 05-13-2017, 11:05 AM
alatexan
New User
The 6.0 was constantly improved until 07, then it went out of production.

Just to be clear... objective reasons to buy a vehicle is the best idea, but we all know if your looking at an Ex.... there is a lot of subjectivity involved when anyone is looking to buy a 12-17 year old SUV design. You too can become an "enthusiast".
Seen several '03 6.0's with good mileage but been more nervous with those based on what I've heard about the '03s.

You're definitely right that there is subjectivity in these sorts of decisions. Nobody usually looks at 12-17 year old vehicles as the best decision objectively. The trick in that analysis is that the excursion was only made for that short period and while things like the suburban and expedition el are close, they aren't quite the same (as has been elaborated on in many of the posts I've read on this forum). That being said, you have to be warm to the idea of being an "enthusiast" to even consider an Ex at this point.

Originally Posted by Sounnder
I may have the Excursion you are looking for. Feel free to email me if you are seriously interested in buying and I will send you the details.

sounnder@comcast.net
Sending email now. Always interested to hear what's out there.

Quick Reply: The Search