1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Need help on 1996 f350

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 10:42 AM
vinnie scavo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help on 1996 f350

Hey there everyone thanks for reading and helping me out so my 1996 f350 I've had for a year with little to no issues but 2 days ago I was driving home from work and it died it sounded like it ran out of fuel but I had a full tank so I had a buddy stop down and he turned the key a bunch to get the pumps going thinking I had air in the line and it started up and was fine then the next day I was driving to my hunting property and it did the same thing so I thought maybe it's the rear tank so I switched to the front one which I had filled up before we left and 2 min later same thing it's like it's not getting enough fuel at random times and cuts out so then I drove it back home...it did it 4 more times and now it's sitting and I can't figure it out I also have my battery light on right now it's been on for like 2 weeks but everything runs fine so I haven't worried could it be what's causing all this ? Or does anyone have a clue ? Thanks for the help !

Old 05-07-2017, 11:02 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
A failing alternator can cause this also take your battery's to get load tested if one is bad replace both as the other one will soon take out the new one out.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:13 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
Do you have a check engine light on? Unless you have converted to electric fuel, repeatedly turning the ignition switch on and off does nothing but energize the glow plugs, as the OBS trucks have a mechanical fuel pump. Grab a helper, and with a cheap pencil type tire gauge check the fuel pressure at the Schrader valve on the fuel bowl, while cranking the engine. You should have a minimum of 20lbs, while cranking, around 50lbs while the engine is running. The CPS can do funny things. At around 25 bucks it can be changed out fairly cheaply. If it doesn't fix the problem, you have a spare for the glove box. Use a Motorcraft or IH CPS only. My 96 C&C truck would die randomly, sometimes it would fire right back up, and other time it had to sit for 5 min. It had a check engine light, and pulling the codes showed a bad IPR. What does the voltage gauge read? Both high and low voltage can trigger the battery light. Some places to start.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:54 AM
vinnie scavo
Freshman User
The check engine light is on and the battery level is low is why the lights on it used to go from normal to low but now it's just stuck on low but everything is running normal except for the cutting our randomly

Old 05-07-2017, 12:06 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The charging system failure warning light comes on when the key is in RUN and the engine is not running. That's normal, since the alternator is not charging the batteries. There is nothing on board that tests the charge level of the batteries; you need to do that with a battery tester.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:12 PM
vinnie scavo
Freshman User
I just realized I said the check engine light is on I meant to say it isn't on and when the truck is running the battery light is on at all times now I'm have both my batteries and alternator tested in about 20 min

Old 05-07-2017, 12:37 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
If they test good,check all engine grounds and the PCM ground.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:06 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
If they test good, try wiggling the single wire connector on the alternator. Sometimes the connection will get worn and make the light come on

Old 05-07-2017, 02:34 PM
vinnie scavo
Freshman User
OK would all this explain why the engine gets cut off from fuel randomly ? Because when it happens it slow starts out and with in a minute it's dead because it isn't getting any fuel

Old 05-07-2017, 02:53 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by farmert
Do you have a check engine light on? Unless you have converted to electric fuel, repeatedly turning the ignition switch on and off does nothing but energize the glow plugs, as the OBS trucks have a mechanical fuel pump. Grab a helper, and with a cheap pencil type tire gauge check the fuel pressure at the Schrader valve on the fuel bowl, while cranking the engine. You should have a minimum of 20lbs, while cranking, around 50lbs while the engine is running. The CPS can do funny things. At around 25 bucks it can be changed out fairly cheaply. If it doesn't fix the problem, you have a spare for the glove box. Use a Motorcraft or IH CPS only. My 96 C&C truck would die randomly, sometimes it would fire right back up, and other time it had to sit for 5 min. It had a check engine light, and pulling the codes showed a bad IPR. What does the voltage gauge read? Both high and low voltage can trigger the battery light. Some places to start.
Would be helpful if you answered Tom's questions above ^^^. He is right on track. If you think you are running out of fuel, measure the pressure when cranking. Battery light on for two weeks, ya that's an issue, get it fixed.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:59 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
How do you know it isn't getting any fuel?
Tom gave some info on how to check fuel pressure but I didn't see any feed back where you had checked it. As was mentioned, turning the key on a stock truck will not do anything for the fuel pump. It is mechanically driven, so the motor has to be turning for it to work.

have you checked the condition of the fuel filter?

Old 05-07-2017, 03:27 PM
vinnie scavo
Freshman User
Well the reason I think it's not getting fuel is because when driving and it dies it sounds just like it ran out of fuel I'm going to check it here in a bit after I get the alternator and batteries checked Im taking the alternator off as we speak to go get tested

Old 05-07-2017, 04:26 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnie scavo
Well the reason I think it's not getting fuel is because when driving and it dies it sounds just like it ran out of fuel
An electronic problem will sound exactly the same.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:32 PM
vinnie scavo
Freshman User
I got the alternator tested and it was shot going to replace it and hope everything is good thanks for everyone's help!

Old 05-07-2017, 05:31 PM
vinnie scavo
Freshman User
Alternator is replaced batter light is off and everything seems back to normal Thanks for everyone's help going for a drive and I'll let you all know how it goes

Quick Reply: Need help on 1996 f350