6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Warranty Gamble

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 12:11 PM
DAmbrosini5481
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warranty Gamble

Good afternoon ford-trucks folks,

I have a 2005 Excursion with the 6.0 PSD. I really love this vehicle and would like to keep it a very long time. Here are the few things I have done so far:
  1. Upgraded Sinister EGR cooler
    • stock egr failed and had to be replaced. Concerned about warranty impact I upgraded the egr instead of deleting it.
  2. Upgraded oil cooler to new OEM oil cooler as part of the sinister egr upgrade.
  3. Blue spring fuel pressure regulator upgrade.
Here is the gamble I am facing. I have spent close to $2k in repairs without my warranty kicking in a single penny. The warranty is up in about a year and I am considering cancelling it. If I cancel I will get a refund that would cover the cost of adding ARP head studs and new head gaskets give or take a few bucks. With the head studs, blue spring, upgraded egr, and upgraded oil cooler I would have the majority of bulletproofing done.

What would you do? Keep the warranty in case something happens in the next year and hope its covered or cancel it and put the money into some more bulletproofing now?

I appreciate all feedback.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:32 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,467 Likes on 1,709 Posts
Personally I never cared for extended warranties, but I realize some people have benefited from them.

Be sure to add replacing the STC fitting on the HPOP to the list. I also think switching the ELC coolant is a good idea, so block drain valves are nice.

You may want to replace glow plugs and harnesses and the heater hoses as well, since access to them is as easy as it will ever be.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:43 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 409 Likes on 271 Posts
There is so much you haven't told us... How long have you owned the Ex and details on the warranty, is it from Ford is it aftermarket? Crap, we have spent time just talking about what is in or out of a warranty, so depending on how comprehensive it is, would be my decision on the cash out. Based on all you have done on your own dime, I'm guessing this is a warranty that is worth squat.

So, so many more variables about what your truck is and has been done to it, by you and before you, and more importantly what some of the live data from it shows, along with pictures of the underhood (surprising what these guys will tell or ask you about with a few picts)....

By the way, welcome to FTE! it is one of the better forums around and actually has some really knowledgeable peeps on here....

Old 05-03-2017, 03:37 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Subscribing, what's your build date?

Check your door jam

Old 05-03-2017, 09:47 AM
DAmbrosini5481
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
There is so much you haven't told us... How long have you owned the Ex and details on the warranty, is it from Ford is it aftermarket? Crap, we have spent time just talking about what is in or out of a warranty, so depending on how comprehensive it is, would be my decision on the cash out. Based on all you have done on your own dime, I'm guessing this is a warranty that is worth squat.

So, so many more variables about what your truck is and has been done to it, by you and before you, and more importantly what some of the live data from it shows, along with pictures of the underhood (surprising what these guys will tell or ask you about with a few picts)....

By the way, welcome to FTE! it is one of the better forums around and actually has some really knowledgeable peeps on here....
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I bought the Ex about 2 years ago. The only mod I could see was the air intake. Other than that it appeared to be bone stock. Based on the fact that the glow plugs, oil cooler, egr cooler, and all suspension are not covered I think this warranty may be squat. The warranty is aftermarket from Rt 66. The details of coverage are below. I have the "Main Street." So, everything in "First Street" plus "Main Street."

The catch is that I am covered for 2 more years, but I put very little mileage on the Ex. I tow a medium sized travel trailer a few times a year and drive it a little locally on the weekends. Do I take my, almost, $2k and put it into more parts, or keep the warranty and hope for the best?

I will probably delete the egr and cat, add ARP head studs, OEM head gaskets, and install new intercooler pipes either way. If nothing goes wrong and I wait then that money is gone, but if I do it now and there is a major issue in the next 2 years (approx 8k-10k miles) it will be out of pocket. This is the gamble I need advice on.

Thank you all for the input.

Attached Images  
Old 05-03-2017, 01:06 PM
Amicus
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Have a copy of your warranty and know exactly what it will cover. My warranty is parts specific it has to mentioned the part on the policy or it's not covered. If u know what it will cover and mainly what it won't u will be able to make a good judgment on keeping it or not. I'm keeping mine because it does cover some expensive parts and labor that I feel I will need.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:00 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
Will your warranty only cover if it is a failure and if a failure occurs what does it not cover? Hoses and wear items will definitely not be covered.

A Ford ESP is the only extended warranty that is worth anything.