2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Upfitter

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 07:50 AM
jeremy123
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upfitter

I ordered my F250 back in March. After I ordered it I realized I forgot to add the upfitter switches and called the dealer and asked them to update my order. I didn't have a VIN yet (it had been less than a week), the dealer said no problem.

After a month, I finally get a VIN and it shows up on COTUS. When I looked on COTUS, I noticed there were no Upfitters listed as an option.

I called the dealer, they said oh we can just add those here at the dealership, we didn't bother changing the order.

I was under the impression the switches could not be added after the fact. Is my dealer full of it?

Old 05-01-2017, 07:51 AM
44Dan44
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So full of it

Old 05-01-2017, 07:53 AM
44Dan44
More Turbo
It will be very interesting however as you hold the dealerships feet to the fire to fulfill their promise.

Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2017, 08:18 AM
jeremy123
Junior User
That's what I thought. There is no way I'm going to order another truck and wait another 3 months, so when it comes in wrong I guess I'll just throw up my arms and throw a fit and see what else I can milk out of them. Get the best deal I can get and be happy with the truck.

I'm not a big mod guy anyhow, honestly the only thing I was going to put on them were DVD players for the kids, it's no big deal to run that to the battery, but the dealer doesn't need to know that.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:47 AM
44Dan44
More Turbo
Exactly how I'd handle it

Old 05-01-2017, 09:41 AM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd email the dealer and have them email you back that they will install the upfitters when the truck arrives. Then bend them over when they can't.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:42 AM
ToUtahNow
Senior User
I had a salesman at a dealership tell me when people order a truck from him he adds the upfitter switches whether they ask for them or not. He said for the cost, it would be silly not to add them.

Mark

Old 05-01-2017, 05:04 PM
duckduke
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ToUtahNow
I had a salesman at a dealership tell me when people order a truck from him he adds the upfitter switches whether they ask for them or not. He said for the cost, it would be silly not to add them.

Mark
That is brilliant!! Specifically for a simple low cost item, but a great value add-on, that can't be added post-production. He should get an award or something.

The problem ...... most auto salesmen don't have a clue. We usually assume they know more than we do simply because they work for the dealer representing the manufacturer of a $25,000 - $80,000 + product. Truth is, the average person here knows more than the average salesman about their own product.

I try to be nice ............ but one day after I had been dickering with a salesman for a while he said "if you can buy one for that price get 2 of 'em cause I can't get one for that price".

That ended the dickering for me ..... I knew my facts and knew he was full of it. I bought his truck the same day from another dealer 30 miles away for the price he said couldn't be done. Sadly ...... I didn't buy a second one for him .

Old 05-01-2017, 11:03 PM
Toledo
Senior User
I would get it in writing so it can be honored

Old 05-01-2017, 11:49 PM
MagicMtnDan
Laughing Gas
Received 140 Likes on 86 Posts

Mark
It should be standard instead of an option but, every company is following the airline business model of charging extra FOR EVERYTHING!

Old 05-02-2017, 12:29 AM
ToUtahNow
Senior User
Originally Posted by duckduke
That is brilliant!! Specifically for a simple low cost item, but a great value add-on, that can't be added post-production. He should get an award or something.

The problem ...... most auto salesmen don't have a clue. We usually assume they know more than we do simply because they work for the dealer representing the manufacturer of a $25,000 - $80,000 + product. Truth is, the average person here knows more than the average salesman about their own product.

I try to be nice ............ but one day after I had been dickering with a salesman for a while he said "if you can buy one for that price get 2 of 'em cause I can't get one for that price".

That ended the dickering for me ..... I knew my facts and knew he was full of it. I bought his truck the same day from another dealer 30 miles away for the price he said couldn't be done. Sadly ...... I didn't buy a second one for him .
I've bought too many vehicles to play those games. If I can't do it with emails and phone calls I am not interested. I do the deal ahead of time so my time in the dealership is 20 minutes to 1/2 an hour. The minute they say "let me talk to my manager" the deal is over because I wasted time talking to the wrong guy. Tomorrow my son is borrowing the truck in the morning. On his way home he is ordering some parts at one of those dealerships which would not deal with me, just to say hi to the manager and show him the sale he lost.

Mark

Old 05-02-2017, 09:11 AM
17f250ford
Junior User
Originally Posted by duckduke

This is 100% on the spot
When i test drove my truck the sales man told me that he wasnt sure if it was a 10speed or a 6 speed transmission
And according to him he had 10years on the business with FORD
But yea upfitter swithces arent as easy as the previous superduties

Old 05-02-2017, 10:39 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
I've bought too many vehicles to play those games. If I can't do it with emails and phone calls I am not interested. I do the deal ahead of time so my time in the dealership is 20 minutes to 1/2 an hour. The minute they say "let me talk to my manager" the deal is over because I wasted time talking to the wrong guy. Tomorrow my son is borrowing the truck in the morning. On his way home he is ordering some parts at one of those dealerships which would not deal with me, just to say hi to the manager and show him the sale he lost.

Mark
I have not found that to work very well and while its only occurred twice, that is 2x too many.

1) Stopped by bank, picked up sight draft and drove over to the dealer that eve. Got there and heard: Sorry, we did not know but the vehicle you wanted was sold this afternoon. But we have others...after looking at them found one but the deal was a walk away...so I walked.

2) Found what I was looking for, FLEW to the dealer and was met at the airport by Joe D Ragman. Where is Ziggy Belcher? Ohh, he got fired we heard, sold a vehicle below our cost. Get to the dealer and meet with a new sales guy and no one know anything about the deal I had made.

It POURING rain, cold front coming thru, I am outskirts of town and do not have a flight booked back home, in a bind so I took the car, toid them to stick make ready where the sun don't shine, just give me the keys and I am OUTTA here. And that is what I did.

BUT I won in the end: They collected sales tax on the vehicle, but I was from out of state and they should not have collected it at all. Later, about 4 mo or so I get a check from the Tax folks refunding my money due to out of state purchase.

Then its better. Chrysler cut some of its dealerships that were not up to Chrysler standards in $ and customer satisfaction. Was not a whole lot, but the dealer where I bought the car was...stripped of the franchise!.