2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Long Haulers

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 01:14 PM
Johnpsz
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by prof nomad
i'll be camped there Memorial Day weekend. It is a great state park. My three month summer trip pulling my TT goes from Philly to Ky to Al to WI to IA to SD to Seattle to ID to Glacier National Park to the UP of Mi and back to Philly. About 7k miles
Our 7,300 mile trip this summer is from Portland (well the burbs) to Idaho, to Yellowstone, to Mt. Rushmore, to Chicago (burbs), to Ohio, to Delaware (stay there for a week for my nieces wedding). Then south to Charleston for a week, then to Florida for a week to do theme parks with the kiddos. From FLorida, head NW stopping in St. Louis and Denver as the big points, the trek home to Portland.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:53 PM
Capt. Ted
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnpsz
If your OK paying $10, the Allstays Camping and RV app, has height warnings on interchanges and so forth, there may be others, but this is what I use, but I mainly do RV/5th wheel towing.
I sent an inquiry to Allstays. They referred me to Low Clearance POI - GPS Data.

Allstays could still be a very useful tool.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:47 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With a height of 13' 10", you need to be extremely careful. Id recommend investing in a Motor Carrier's Atlas. Far more reliable than a GPS. You will have to plan your route very carefully as many overpasses clear 13' 6" and not much else. Oh, and watch your damn mirrors when you turn.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:37 AM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bowler304
We do yearly maintenance on our TT and this is part of the checklist, so we should be good.

Joe Wheeler Lake, my father in law has a boat out there so it should be a neat trip for the family.
im up here now for the weekend and it is gorgeous if you get a chance to get out might want to check out the Coon dog cemetery, Dismal Canyon, and the rattlesnake salon foe a great burger

Old 04-30-2017, 06:34 PM
Mr. Mcbeevee
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bushpilot

These days I don't know why anyone would bother w/ a (dedicated) GPS (too narrow in purpose and redundant compared to a smart phone).
No cell service, no navigation with a smart phone. As long as you never travel out in the boonies i agree with you though.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:29 PM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
cell phone still has GPS (even when there is no cell signal).....we often have a loss of cell coverage on our (frequent) runs from Houston to Winchester (va)....the GPS (and maps) continue to function (cached).

Old 05-24-2017, 01:53 PM
bowler304
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So another question I was asked was to check wheel bearings, which I have my trailer service yearly and that is part of the check. I want to do a visual inspection of it on this pages recommendation, but not sure what to look at on the wheels?

These are aluminum wheels and drum brakes so where should I look for 'leaking' bearing?

Thanks for the help and sorry for my stupidity!

Old 05-24-2017, 02:13 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
outside front of the hub to start with.

Backing plate can be another indicator.

Only other option is to take the drum off and have a look to see if any grease made it onto your brake shoes.

Short of any issues I would not take the drums off if you had it serviced just recently.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:19 PM
bowler304
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
outside front of the hub to start with.

Backing plate can be another indicator.

Only other option is to take the drum off and have a look to see if any grease made it onto your brake shoes.

Short of any issues I would not take the drums off if you had it serviced just recently.
Thanks we service it yearly, and the trailer is fairly new, only 3 years old and we have about 3200 miles on it. I just wanted to do a visual before we head out and we have road side assistance and towing assistance.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:33 PM
bluewaveaudio
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt. Ted
My boat, on the trailer has a height of 13'10". I'll be towing it from Lake Erie to the Gulf of Mexico. Has anyone used the apps giving bridge height?

I'll also have a 63' oal, and 10'4" wide. I plan on getting oversize permits. We could use any tips on these long hauls.
depending on where you go, texas is 14' legal state for height. its getting to be rare for bridges to be lower then that.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:47 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
10 hours wheel time on Google means about 11 hours wheel time towing a camper, which means about 14 hours travel time counting quick refuel stops and short rest/meal breaks. Unless you have someone else in the truck that is willing to take turns driving, I'd find a truck stop about 2/3 of the way and plan on overnighting there.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:58 PM
k7lvo
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I try to stick with name brand stations, and start looking for fuel earlier enough that I can pass up a station or two, until I find one that's laid out so as to have room to maneuver. I find that, especially with the help of Gas Buddy, that I can usually save 15-25 cents/gal over the truck stops. I also find that many of the truck stops do not have RV pump blocks and leave you to fight with the cars or the big rigs.

The key is to make EARLY stops so your not desperate for fuel.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:29 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I average 50 mph towing time. I travel when towing at 65 mph.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:43 PM
bowler304
Senior User
Originally Posted by thomabb
10 hours wheel time on Google means about 11 hours wheel time towing a camper, which means about 14 hours travel time counting quick refuel stops and short rest/meal breaks. Unless you have someone else in the truck that is willing to take turns driving, I'd find a truck stop about 2/3 of the way and plan on overnighting there.
Yep we are staying overnight in Little Rock, so we should be good.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:23 PM
bowler304
Senior User
Just wanted to bring this back around and say thanks! You guys really helped a lot and this trip was a success and we had a great time.

628 miles each way.

Out I averaged 8.9 MPG
Home I averaged 10.2 MPG

Using google maps I decided to make my stops around half a tank or at 150 miles so I had plenty of gas if I needed to skip. Mostly used Loves truck stops and besides the food had great luck. Some guy even told me at the pump, "WOW looks like you have done that a few times!"

I did have to take one of your advise and ignore stupid people, this one guy with a boat was blocking the pumps so when I pulled in I was slightly blocking him, he could pull out but had to go right instead of left. Worked out fine but he went out cussing.

Anyway, thank you so much guys! You are much appreciated, you help to make a trip much less stressful for a newbie!

Quick Reply: Long Haulers