Modular V10 (6.8l)  

rust

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 09:29 AM
Brian Biel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rust

in addition to my rumble noise, like those rumble warning things on the edge, of the road, at low noise or more prominent when stopping, I should have payed more attention underneath when I bought it as there is rust all over everything. eating away light metal and pitting harder steel. i power washed the under side of it and applied an aersol that is suppose to stop the rust process and I bought many cans of that rubberized under coating to the entire bottom but see it is coming off. thought i would kill 2 birds with one stone stone, stop the rust and insulate it as it's suppose to make it the inside of your cab quiter. any suggestions welcome. seems that scorio rock we have in our area just chews it away. it's a 2002 f250 crew cab and put extra stuff on it and now that my son is at that age 14, he wants to start driving of course. biggest thing is my health and not sure how much time i have left to get this running for hunting up in the mountains. I'm new here and not sure if i'm posting this stuff right. can a person post pictures in these replies ? thank you much
brian

Old 04-26-2017, 09:56 AM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I suggest trying harder to assemble sentences, that was hard to read. If there were questions in there about your truck's issues they weren't clear at all.

As far as the rumble noise, check your wheel bearings starting with the fronts as they're a somewhat common failure. If that's where the noise is coming from you're probably on borrowed time before catastrophic failure.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:23 PM
hodge5
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
rubberized undercoating is a poor choice- it is for sound deadening, not protection from the elements. Clean it and paint it with POR-15, for instance, or coat it with Fluid Film- that's what I use.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:13 PM
Brian Biel
New User
Originally Posted by '88 E-350
I suggest trying harder to assemble sentences, that was hard to read. If there were questions in there about your truck's issues they weren't clear at all.

As far as the rumble noise, check your wheel bearings starting with the fronts as they're a somewhat common failure. If that's where the noise is coming from you're probably on borrowed time before catastrophic failure.
I sure hope not. I took my Ford to the only reliable auto shop to have the bearings packed. I took the truck to the tire shop I go to for the past 30 yrs and they took the front wheels off and they checked everything and was tight. Next was gonna check the center drive shaft carrier bearing. Thank you for your time sir

Old 04-26-2017, 09:29 PM
Brian Biel
New User

Originally Posted by hodge5
rubberized undercoating is a poor choice- it is for sound deadening, not protection from the elements. Clean it and paint it with POR-15, for instance, or coat it with Fluid Film- that's what I use.
Sorry about not getting the questions out right away. The illness I have , I have trouble getting to the point or asking the question correctly.. Thank you to those who responded. I'm new here and for some reason having problem returning a response back to the responder. Thank you to you all
Brian

Old 04-27-2017, 04:18 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Your questions seemed fine to me

Old 04-27-2017, 10:58 AM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Brian Biel
I sure hope not. I took my Ford to the only reliable auto shop to have the bearings packed. I took the truck to the tire shop I go to for the past 30 yrs and they took the front wheels off and they checked everything and was tight. Next was gonna check the center drive shaft carrier bearing. Thank you for your time sir
Are these two separate vehicles or is the "Ford" and the "truck" both talking about the truck? If the truck is 4x4 the bearings are sealed and can't be serviced. 2wd are normal old style bearings which can be re-packed.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:33 AM
Brian Biel
New User
hi, sorry for the confusion. it's a 2002 F250 super duty V10 crew cab, Lariat, automatic transmission. Manual hubs. 147,000 miles. just replaced the dampner, the entire tie rod ends and connector that connect to the pitman arm as the tire shop said the problem was that. yeah right, $300 later I still have the problem. I;m disabled so i don't have a lot of money to keep trying this, try that and it still doesn't work. I hate it when people at those part places take advantage of people. anyways I had the front wheel bearings repacked by a mechanic shop that I thought was reliable, wrong,. after 6 months later the inside dust covers came out and they wouldn't cover it, only have a 30 day warranty. was wondering if it could be the carrier bearing at the center rear drive shaft? any suggestions be greatly appreciated.
brian

Old 04-28-2017, 01:31 AM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
So it's 4x4, that means the front bearings are sealed hub assemblies which aren't serviceable. Either the mechanic completely lied about repacking them or you confused it. Either way, at that age & mileage it wouldn't be surprising if original hub assemblies were toast. If you have a means to jack the front tires off the ground do that and spin each tire, if there's any rumbling noise the bearings are bad. You only need to do one side at a time so any decent jack should do. If you can't do it go to a shop and ask them specifically to do that rather than asking them to "check the front end for a noise". Being a mechanic for decades I've heard everything you can imagine, and then some, about a shop checking something and missing the totally obvious cause.

Curious, what is your medical condition? No pressure if you rather not share.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:55 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Actually, there is a way to put grease in the front bearings. Remove the ABS sensor and use a grease gun to push grease into the bearing. I've done it.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:15 AM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Krewat
Actually, there is a way to put grease in the front bearings. Remove the ABS sensor and use a grease gun to push grease into the bearing. I've done it.
Never thunk of that, I've only worked on one that had no ABS and didn't know the ring was internal. I've got one that's starting to make a little noise, can only tell with the truck raised and spinning the tire. I might try greasing to see if I can extend its life a bit 'till I'm ready to do the whole front rebuild, ball joints & brakes are due as well.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:57 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
The seal might get pushed out, which is OK, just push it back in

Old 04-28-2017, 04:28 PM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
I had a bad hub assembly I pulled off an '02 a while back so I decided to see what's inside to hopefully get new bearings instead of buying assemblies. Unfortunately the outer races are machined into the hub housing, WTF was Ford thinking using a casting as a bearing race?!? The inner races are pressed onto the hub. The rollers and inner race are in decent shape considering how bad the outer race/housing is.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:34 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
It's a unitized bearing, what's the big deal?

Old 04-28-2017, 08:15 PM
Brian Biel
New User
So it's 4x4, that means the front bearings are sealed hub assemblies which aren't serviceable. Either the mechanic completely lied about repacking them or you confused it. Either way, at that age & mileage it wouldn't be surprising if original hub assemblies were toast. If you have a means to jack the front tires off the ground do that and spin each tire, if there's any rumbling noise the bearings are bad. You only need to do one side at a time so any decent jack should do. If you can't do it go to a shop and ask them specifically to do that rather than asking them to "check the front end for a noise". Being a mechanic for decades I've heard everything you can imagine, and then some, about a shop checking something and missing the totally obvious cause.

Curious, what is your medical condition? No pressure if you rather not share.
Hello. Thank you for responding. They never told me the bearings were sealed. I was used the older models where you repacked the front bearings. I'll have to see if I still have the invoice. Since i bought it when it had high mileage 125,000 thought i should do preventive maintenance. So this mechanic shop was the only one that i know of the mechanics personally. I told them to pack front bearings. Just found the invoice and will type what it says. Inspect both axle shaft ujoints,, found both bad , remove both front axle shafts, replace both ujoints and reassemble installing new seals. NOTE: BOTH FRONT SWAY BAR LINKS ARE NOISY. APPROX. COST TO REPLACE $380 PLUS TAX
Hub oring seal. 2@9.92=19.94
Axle seal 2@75.80=151.60
Seal. 2@27.64=55.28
Axle ujoint. 2@88.70=177.40
Parts. 404.12
Labor. 332.50
Job Total. $789.21
mileage was at 130,000 when this was done. I usually work on my own vehicles but was injured at work that left me disabled and other medical problems like only able to lift up to 15 lbs. , no flexibility, short term memory loss and some other things. By looking at this invoice I got screwed royally and I didn't get to enjoy it. And if they replaced the ujoints they didnt put the greseable ones in. There are no geease zerks. Dont they make front ujoints where u can put zirks in them so you grease them.
tjank you
Brian

Quick Reply: rust