6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Error Messages: Service AdvanceTrack/ Hill Descent Control Fault

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 07:29 PM
Mrmeza
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hill descent control fault, service AdvanceTrac warning

2016 F250 Diesel 6.7 I have been getting that message.
in the forum it mentions a plug under dash above parking break mechanism. Found it one side of the plug is great the other half of plug is black. I squeezed the plug together...not taking it apart at anytime. Looked at dash messages gone, stored errors messages gone, car with squiggly tire lines light gone. Fixed for me or has identified to me were were problem is coming from. I think if you use parking break alot causes vibration on plug connection to loose contact connectivity....I never turned truck off while doing this FYI

Last edited by Mrmeza; 09-06-2018 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Adding pictures
Old 09-07-2018, 05:33 AM
throwdown
Senior User
I am still having the problem. I have taken the inner fender well out and cleaned and reseated and lubed all plugs coming from the large grey connector under the dash including that one. All wheel speed sensors check out. Wheel bearings seem fine.
At this point I am following the wire trail from the fluid level sensor downstream to look for a chaffed wire or something like that.
Fluid level sensor checks out. Brake booster checks out.
I am convinced it is a chaffed wire somewhere in the loom as the lights in the dash will come on and go away and flicker by them selves.
Also it will sometimes show no codes after. Ford says replace entire master cylinder ($700).
I can find nothing wrong with the MC.
I will continue the quest and relay my findings.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:22 AM
allcool
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by throwdown
I am still having the problem. I have taken the inner fender well out and cleaned and reseated and lubed all plugs coming from the large grey connector under the dash including that one. All wheel speed sensors check out. Wheel bearings seem fine.
At this point I am following the wire trail from the fluid level sensor downstream to look for a chaffed wire or something like that.
Fluid level sensor checks out. Brake booster checks out.
I am convinced it is a chaffed wire somewhere in the loom as the lights in the dash will come on and go away and flicker by them selves.
Also it will sometimes show no codes after. Ford says replace entire master cylinder ($700).
I can find nothing wrong with the MC.
I will continue the quest and relay my findings.
Have you fully removed that plug from the e-brake bracket and tied it up out of the way after checking all its pins for full contact and re-seating it fully..?

Old 09-07-2018, 09:13 AM
throwdown
Senior User
Yes, on both ends. Cleaned, lubed, and fully seated the pins as well.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:34 AM
LariatRick
Freshman User
Mine required a new RCM and ABS module, thankfully under warranty (36k). It was throwing 9 codes and only had "Service Advancetrac" on the dash display. And on the apps screen nothing worked, no change when turning the wheel. And the disable traction control button didn't work. So far so good but it's only been about 200 miles.
Sounds like different symptoms but good luck and I hope you get it solved!
2015 F350 PSD SRW CC

Old 09-09-2018, 02:15 PM
throwdown
Senior User
Thanks for the input. The only code thrown is C0049, which is more or less the umbrella code for many things. Each wheel speed sensor is operational, but due to the irratic and sporadic nature of the warning lights and bells, I am convinced there is an exposed wire somewhere. Finding it is another matter.
As to your last comment, thank you and I hope I find it soon as the alarm bells come every six to eight seconds apart when it takes a notion.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:59 PM
txjones7
5th Gear
I cant get that plug to release for nothing is there some kinda secret to that clip?????
got clip off cleaned and reset same codes......didn't work
checked all my wheel sensors all look good guess I will change out that brake sensor see if that does anything its only 8.99 part

Old 11-02-2019, 04:31 PM
Ashley K. Lambert
New User
This just happened

I have been driving for about a week with the Hill Descent Light and my traction lights going off and on. I drove through some flooded streets and thought maybe I got a sensor wet or something. Today, just now, I’m driving just fine all of the sudden the lights come back on as I’m braking and the right front wheel bites down hard and almost makes go into on coming traffic, but it released and I pressed ok on my steering wheel to make the warnings go away on my dash and it drives just fine. I went into the store came back home and it drove fine without the lights coming back on and no weird tire business.. can someone help me??

Old 02-12-2020, 10:25 AM
Richman745
New User
Hi all, I have been driving around for about 2 weeks now with the ABS and Hill Decent lights on.. It started the morning after I drove down a unmaintained road with about a foot of snow. I thought the ABS sensor was frozen up because other vehicles I have owned have done that before but I let it thaw out but the lights are still on the dash. I have ABS code C0034 with description right front wheel speed sensor circuit open. I have replaced the sensor but that still hasn't fixed the issue. I have also tried unplugging and plugging the big connector under the dash by the parking brake but that still hasn't fixed the issue. Does anyone have the ABS wiring diagram so I can check the wiring? Thanks

Old 02-13-2020, 05:13 AM
Superdave71
Tuned
Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Does the glow plug indicator still come on before you start the truck? I don’t have the drawing anymore, but I replaced RF sensor on my truck, and circuit was still open. The RF sensor actually goes through a connector on the pass side frame rail under the back seat. I had moisture and corrosion that was the source of my issue.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:05 AM
Richman745
New User
Yes the glow plug light still lights up when I start it. I will check that connector when I get home from work and report back. Last night I tried spreading a small amount of dielectric grease in the connector by the parking brake but issue is still present.

Old 02-13-2020, 07:32 PM
Richman745
New User
Superdave I can't thank you enough. I checked the connector on the passenger side frame rail and sure enough right after the connector was a corroded wire and when I started to move it it broke apart. Spliced it back together and now no more lights. Thanks!

Old 02-13-2020, 08:07 PM
Superdave71
Tuned
Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Fantastic!!

Old 05-22-2020, 11:03 PM
Jimmy Rank
Freshman User
Anybody's doing this? Kills the radio and AC as well.

Old 06-11-2020, 12:53 PM
Jimmy Rank
Freshman User
I got word from the dealership and the culprit is in fact one of the wires, the red one to be specific, that runs from the alternator to the PCM. The wire was corroded and it blew the fuseable link that is in that wire harness. Common issue reported by many people on this forum and on the Facebook 6.7 powerstroke page. The cost to pull the wire, repair the wire, and replace the fuseable link was $850.00. Not cheap, but I've heard of others spending much more in just trying to solve the problem and still having the problem (replacing batteries, alternators, etc). When deciding where to take your vehicle, search the Ford website for a dealer that has someone certified in Ford electronics. It took the guessing out of it, because they commonly see this issue.

Quick Reply: Error Messages: Service AdvanceTrack/ Hill Descent Control Fault