Error Messages: Service AdvanceTrack/ Hill Descent Control Fault - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Error Messages: Service AdvanceTrack/ Hill Descent Control Fault

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Error Messages: Service AdvanceTrack/ Hill Descent Control Fault

Old 04-24-2017, 05:10 PM
pkbgators
New User
pkbgators is starting off with a positive reputation.
Angry Error Messages: Service AdvanceTrack/ Hill Descent Control Fault

New Guy here,

Just purchased a 2013 F-250 Regular Cab 4x4 XLT, with 56,000 miles. The truck came already deleted and straight piped with a 4 inch exhaust, mini maxx race tuner, and egr delete. Everything was running fine initially, however, a week later I am suddenly having weird issues. All at once, the ABS light and traction control light went on, with the displace saying "Service Advance Track" and "Hill descent Control fault". Also, occasionally when I applied the break, it seemed almost as if the truck was slipping as if it were on ice, even though I'm located in Florida. Lastly, since I got the truck, when the wheel is turned either direction all the way, there is what seems like the tires are rubbing, although I doubt that is possible running 325/60/R20 (just threw this information in in case it was relation to the problem).

This is my first diesel truck, and only having it for a week this is obviously concerning me. I am going to take it to my mechanic tomorrow, however, I want to go in with a general idea to avoid getting jerked around.

If anyone has any insight that could give me some piece of mind that would be fantastic.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:02 PM
Trash Hauler
Senior User
Trash Hauler is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Trash Hauler is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sorry to hear you are having problems with your new truck.

I have experienced similar issues (two occasions) in my mostly stock truck. When I pulled the DTCs, they were related to a communication failure between the computers. After a shutdown and restart, the problems went away (the codes remained until I cleared them).

For troubleshooting and to give us more info on your problem,
1) please pull and post the DTCs you have. To do this, you will need a code reader (most auto parts stores will loan you one) or go into Engineering Test Mode--see this thread for instructions https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...test-mode.html
2) do the problems clear when you restart the truck?
3) if they clear, is there a reliable way to make them fail again or is it purely random?
4) check the connectors at the computers and where mods have been done to ensure they are properly seated

Bob

Old 04-24-2017, 06:20 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I'll bet the tires are rubbing at full lock. Look inside your fender well/inside of the tires for rubbing.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:22 PM
pkbgators
New User
Trash Hauler,

I tried to pull the DTCs the way that post suggested, no luck. The problems do not clear when I restart the truck, the two signs are lit on the dash, and the two warning flash on my display. However, when I try and run diagnostics on the Mini maxx, it comes back saying there is nothing wrong for both the engine and transmission tests it runs. I will check the connectors in the morning when I have some light and hopefully its a simple fix like that.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:23 PM
pkbgators
New User
Originally Posted by senix View Post
I'll bet the tires are rubbing at full lock. Look inside your fender well/inside of the tires for rubbing.
I also think the tire rub is completely unrelated, just thought I would throw it in there in case someone with more knowledge than me knew it had something to do with it.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:46 PM
Trash Hauler
Senior User
Trash Hauler is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Trash Hauler is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by pkbgators View Post
Trash Hauler,

I tried to pull the DTCs the way that post suggested, no luck. The problems do not clear when I restart the truck, the two signs are lit on the dash, and the two warning flash on my display. However, when I try and run diagnostics on the Mini maxx, it comes back saying there is nothing wrong for both the engine and transmission tests it runs. I will check the connectors in the morning when I have some light and hopefully its a simple fix like that.
By "no luck", do you mean there were no codes present or that you could not get into engineering test mode? Either way it's probably a good idea to get a code reader and see if you (or your mechanic) can pull anything. Another possibility is a bad ABS sensor but that goes back to finding a code.

Bob

Old 04-25-2017, 10:18 AM
allcool
Senior User
allcool has a good reputation on FTE.allcool has a good reputation on FTE.
'Hill Decent Control Fault and Service AdvanceTrac' messages,
this is a common problem.
With a very simple fix.

A large wire harness plug located on the emergency brake bracket is lose/not making good contact. This large plug/connection feeds the ign switch, etc...

The fix is too Unplug and re-plug firmly. Some have relocated the plug off the e brake bracket and wire tied it away from the bracket.

I was having this same problem almost daily. For me it started with a little chime while driving then the error message pops up.

My fix was to just unplug that big connector on the e brake bracket, checked all pins to make sure they were not bent or backing out and re plugged in firmly.
Never had the problem again and its been over a year now since my last
'Hill Decent Control Fault and Service AdvanceTrac' message. If you do a search there are many threads on this problem, on many SD forums.

Some get even more error messages along with the above. Some can't start up if the connection is intermittently totally open on certain pins. Problem is all in that connector/plug.

Hope this helps...

Old 04-25-2017, 05:14 PM
pkbgators
New User
Originally Posted by Trash Hauler View Post
By "no luck", do you mean there were no codes present or that you could not get into engineering test mode? Either way it's probably a good idea to get a code reader and see if you (or your mechanic) can pull anything. Another possibility is a bad ABS sensor but that goes back to finding a code.

Bob
By no luck I mean I could not get it into engineering mode. Shops around my house will not run codes when it is dark out so I will go tomorrow and share what, if any, codes they're able to pull.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:16 PM
pkbgators
New User
Originally Posted by allcool View Post
With a very simple fix.

A large wire harness plug located on the emergency brake bracket is lose/not making good contact. This large plug/connection feeds the ign switch, etc...

The fix is too Unplug and re-plug firmly. Some have relocated the plug off the e brake bracket and wire tied it away from the bracket.

I was having this same problem almost daily. For me it started with a little chime while driving then the error message pops up.

My fix was to just unplug that big connector on the e brake bracket, checked all pins to make sure they were not bent or backing out and re plugged in firmly.
'Hill Decent Control Fault and Service AdvanceTrac' message. If you do a search there are many threads on this problem, on many SD forums.

Some get even more error messages along with the above. Some can't start up if the connection is intermittently totally open on certain pins. Problem is all in that connector/plug.

Hope this helps...
I glanced quickly down there while at a rest stop, could not locate it but checked some of the other connections. I will check it better tomorrow when their is more light.

After leaving the stop, maybe 15 miles down the road, I got a new warning along with the prior two saying "Check brake system" along with the parking brake light lit up on the dash. Not sure if this was related to checking the connections but I will look more in depth at it.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:55 PM
cangim
Postmaster
cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.
Curious on outcome of this, sure seems you at least disturbed the right connector

Old 04-27-2017, 09:32 PM
Fert
Senior User
Fert is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by allcool View Post
With a very simple fix.

Hope this helps...

I have the same issue from time to time, I looked in there and there is a cubic metric load of wires stashed in there. I pushed plugs together, and put the side back on. a small foot tap on the side will get the error messages to go away if done correctly. can you or someone post a pic of this plug?

thanks Fert

Old 05-03-2017, 10:16 AM
pkbgators
New User
Just thought I would give an update on the situation:

I ran the truck by advance autoparts to try and run the codes as suggested above. Obviously, the time I crank the truck on to take it in, is the first time I throw zero codes and the truck drives like its brand new off the lot, figures right? I have since drove maybe 150 miles this week around town with no issues whatsoever. Taking a trip to Talladega this weekend for the race which is about 300 miles each way, if I don't throw an codes, I figure I'm in the clear. Thanks to everyone for the inputs and advice, I'll check back if anything goes wrong.

Pkbgators

Old 05-04-2017, 01:55 PM
noel04z06
New User
noel04z06 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I went through the same thing about two weeks ago on a fishing trip about 350 miles away. I was hearing an unusual rhythmic squeak coming from the front driver side wheel. Figured it was a wheel bearing, the truck has 110k on it. I was going to take a look once i got home. On the way home got all the warnings you did. Same issue with the brakes, there was obviously a loss of connection with the sensor. About 60 miles from home front left wheel hub completely seizes. Had to flat bed it to the closest dealership. New wheel hub and upper and lower control arms since they were shot and it's back on the road. Long story short, check your wheel hubs.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:00 AM
FordDriver1
New User
FordDriver1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
F250-Diesel 2015

F250 Diesel 2015
Hill Descent fault comes on - brakes automatically - heat comes on full blast
Done this for about 6 months....been to three different Ford dealerships - cannot find problem. latest is at beach stranded - dealership put on diag - said bad batteries $600 later - that did not fix the issue - they have no idea what is wrong. Driving and trailer brakes come on - heat full blast - down hill descent fault error messages - anybody have this issue? Cannot even drive the truck safely. Thanks for any input!

Old 06-07-2017, 10:30 AM
FordDriver1
New User
FordDriver1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
F250 Diesel 2015
Hill Descent fault comes on - brakes automatically - heat comes on full blast
Done this for about 6 months....been to three different Ford dealerships - cannot find problem. latest is at beach stranded - dealership put on diag - said bad batteries $600 later - that did not fix the issue - they have no idea what is wrong. Driving and trailer brakes come on - heat full blast - down hill descent fault error messages - anybody have this issue? Cannot even drive the truck safely. Thanks for any input!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Error Messages: Service AdvanceTrack/ Hill Descent Control Fault

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: