1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

warning gong disable attempt/incident

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 11:25 AM
fjlee
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 F250 SD gas V8 with 5 speed and 4x4.

Since new, I've wanted to disable all the warning gongs. So far, I've only managed to disable seatbelt warning gong.

I've been to several Newsgroups and other places of Ford knowledge on the Internet. I've asked questions and talked to people. Kept many notes.

The concensus on how to disable the gongs seems to be as follows:

Under the dash, just above brake or accellerator, will be a small black or grey box, measuring about 1x1x2 inches. There will be a male plug with 7-8 wires on it. Pull this plug from the box.

OK.......I found the box, just as described, and pulled the plug. All gongs stopped immediately. But there are several negative side effects. Interior light no longer works. Gauges became totally inoperative. A loud clicking sound comes from under dash when passenger door is opened. Engine idle speed dropped so much that engine wants to quit running.

This is not a good trade-off.

Did I pull the plug from the wrong box? My fuse panel is located to the FAR left of underdash area. The gong sound seems to come from.......like......directly in back of the fuse panel. It certainly does not seem to be coming from the box I unplugged, or from that general area. Reaching up and around, in back of the fuse panel, as best I can, I cannot feel any "boxes", or wire bundle.

Has anyone in the group experienced this? Can anyone help me silence the gongs? I want _ALL_ of them silenced.

Thank you Lee Carkenord Denver Colorado

Old 09-02-2003, 12:03 PM
linehandler
New User

Although I don't have my 250 yet, I will want to accomplish "nearly" the same thing very soon after delivery.

In my current vehicle I didn't want them gone. (just much quieter)
and I just used black elec. tape wraped around each relay type noisemaker/gong.

With different numbers of wraps you can "tune" them to a much less annoying sound and still be warned that your headlights etc.. are still on.

Old 09-02-2003, 03:22 PM
garymake
Senior User

You want to disconnect the black wire with the pink stripe found in this bundle you are referring to... This wire goes to the sensor that detects the key in the ignition. See the following post for complete instructions on how to do this and for information on how to disable some of the other items....

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...2B%25252BTired

Last edited by garymake; 09-02-2003 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:30 PM
garymake
Senior User

duplicate post