Slide-in topper

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 08:35 AM
rbtom
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slide-in topper

I've been looking for a small slide in cab height 8' topper for short weekend fishing trips. Something I can keep some fishing and camping gear in and hit remote lakes. Does anyone know of anything out there that would come close to this? I would like to keep my tailgate on and use it as a step and a place to cook a small meal with a camp stove. I could make something but I don't really want to look like Jedd Clampit either. Just enough room for one guy and still pull my boat. The more I look for something that would suit me, it seems like I'm the only one in the world that's looking for it.

Tom

Old 04-21-2017, 05:56 PM
stufarmer
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't know of any that are made that way anymore. Back in the 60's we had one on my dads 66' F100. If you can't find one, you could consider a Bed Rug and install a fold down Cot along the Bed Rails.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:48 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 04-25-2017, 11:23 AM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think you're talking about a slide in truck camper are you? It sounds like your talking about a bed cap ... like a Leer etc. ?

Old 04-25-2017, 11:42 AM
rbtom
Mountain Pass
More like a topper shell but a slide-in type. My dad had one when I was a kid but it was built like a camper, it was perfect for fishing trips. It had a tall door and He could keep the tailgate on and close it too. It even had slide out drawers to keep the campstove and other gear. It was crazy heavy, and had to have camper jacks to get it on and off. A lighter weight uninsulated aluminum shell that are made now would be great, but to keep the tailgate on you have to crawl over it to get some sleep.

Tom

Old 04-25-2017, 11:56 AM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only thing I can think of is a pop up truck camper. But they sit about 8" above the roof of your truck and you have to remove the tailgate. My B-I-L has a OEM truck bed tent setup for his PU truck that he uses when he camps. It's basically a tent fitted over his truck bed. The tailgate stays on and everything collapses when he breaks camp and moves. Google "truck bed tent" and select "Images" ... maybe there is something there that catches your eye and might work for you.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:54 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Sounds like your dad had a vintage truck camper, something like this but shorter...

There were a lot of different variants of truck campers back in the day.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:01 AM
rbtom
Mountain Pass
That's what it was! I actually found a place that would build one like that for me, but I was really wanting something lighter, and this was all 2x2 construction like a camper and it clamped on the bed rails, not a slide-in.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:04 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Old 04-26-2017, 10:05 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
A.R.E. makes these. I always thought if I could have a cap, it would be one of these. You have a man-door and the entire rear of the cap is a hatch so you have full rear access to the bed.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:00 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm touring the Capri manufacturing shop next weekend as we are rather close to them. We have a 23' bumper pull and don't use most of the room and want something much smaller and simpler. The newer ones are designed to not let the tailgate be close for safety reasons but don't hang over the bed by much, so leave the tailgate on for using it as you describe or remove it so you can have full toy towing capability.

Retreat | Capri Camper

They pop up used on a rare occasion, but we want one for our 6.5' short bed and all I find are for 8' beds. Yes, it will fit in my truck, but I don't want the camper hanging off the backend. Lance type campers are indeed nice...but more than we need.

Not mine...

Old 04-28-2017, 12:14 AM
rbtom
Mountain Pass
Do I dare ask what the safety issues are?

Old 04-28-2017, 06:02 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by rbtom
Do I dare ask what the safety issues are?

I would imagine having someone close the tailgate with you in the slide-in would be considered a safety issue as you wouldn't be able to open the slide-in's rear door to get out or drop the tailgate.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:05 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Exactly...to keep the tailgate from being accidentally or intentionally closed and trapping someone in. I should have been clearer in my comment.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:49 AM
rbtom
Mountain Pass
Something I've never thought of or considered, but easy enough to prevent.

Quick Reply: Slide-in topper