Random Questions, Help Appreciated - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Random Questions, Help Appreciated

Old 04-20-2017, 05:27 PM
Posting Guru

IHateCommieCars is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Random Questions, Help Appreciated

Working on a couple of SDs, an 06 F450 XL and 06 F250 Lariat CC 4x4.

I haven't gotten the 250 started yet. The car hauler dropped it in front of my house facing the wrong way. I wasn't concerned - just figured I'd strap on to it and turn it around. I've never had a non-running 4x4 - are they almost impossible to steer without PS? even while rolling, I can only get the wheels to turn a hair. Don't know how I'd make it around my cul de sac.

There is some damage under there. The two dampeners that attach to the tie rod adjusting sleeve were banged up, one bent pretty good, so I took those off. No difference. Also, the stabilizer bar brackets look bent. But strangely, they're both bent inwards. The truck had a little fender bender, but no major front end body damage that would explain anything. Could those have been bent inwards on purpose by whoever installed the lift kit? Here are some pics:

Old 04-20-2017, 05:31 PM
Posting Guru

IHateCommieCars is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Also wondering how that door comes on the underdash cubbyhole. Like most of them on the old trucks, mine doesn't latch on the 450 and I see a good one on a truck at the pick-your-part yard, but couldn't see how to get it off - there was a bunch of trash in the cab and I didn't want to dig through to see. If it's easy to come off, I may go back and get it.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:05 AM

redford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputation
It looks like someone played Duke of Hazzard with that truck and landed hard on the nose.

I've never seen sway bar links bent inward like that. Wow.

It should be stiff, but not impossible to steer the rig without PS. With that kind of damage it is hard to say what is binding, but I think I would start by removing the drag link. At any rate, I think it's all going to have to come off and get inspected.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:56 AM
Posting Guru

Chuck's First Ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Chuck's First Ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Duke of Hazard Landing is correct.

you could also have steering box damage..

that thing HIT HARD.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:55 AM
Senior User

auburngrad is starting off with a positive reputation.
I agree with the rest. That looks like someone jumped it on some farm road or out in the field. The way the bumper is crumpled up, front of the Nerf bar and behind the rear wheel. All that looks like it dropped, not just a normal wreck on the street.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:46 PM
Elder User

Sam I Am is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Sam I Am is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well it does say "bad lander" on the door...
Old 04-21-2017, 02:42 PM
Senior User

Wingit929 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tire pressure looks low. That can make it hard to turn. Try airing up the tires even to the point of overinflating. The tires will ride more on the center leaving less tread trying to grip the road.