Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear spring hangars

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 07:24 PM
BeholdenZippy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bib
Here's a rusted rear hanger...
It's interesting that the rear few feet of frame rust first on these trucks.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:28 PM
BeholdenZippy
Senior User
I bought a ranger that was missing the shackles and brackets completely. The only part of the bracket left was the part held on by the rivets. Lucky the springs didn't go through the bed after driving it like that for about a month.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:15 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
If you plan on having the truck another 20 years, sandblast the OEM paint off. Then drill a drink hole in the bottom of the rear hanger and coat them with some POR15 or the like

Front hangers use 1/2" bolts, rears use 7/16"

Old 04-17-2017, 08:43 PM
thechief66
Laughing Gas
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Heres a better picture. Thats not flaking paint, its metal. At least half the steel is gone.
Totally unsafe IMO

Old 04-18-2017, 05:10 AM
Bib
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup, might as well remove and replace. Picked my rears up from Bronco Grave Yard. They have non-OEM for a whole lot less cash...

1980-1997 Ford Bronco and F-Series OEM Rear Spring Hanger-Broncograveyard.com

Old 04-18-2017, 06:10 AM
joegeds
Elder User
thechief66 - I agree with most everyone else here that those hangars are perfectly fine. The reason you haven't sold any in 15 years as a Ford parts guy is because they are still fine. I can tell you that all Ford trucks of this era look like that underneath - unless they have been sand blasted and repainted - and they are just fine.
Having said that, it is your truck, you're the one driving it, and if you feel they are unsafe, then that's the end of it - they are unsafe. Even if it's just for piece of mind, it's worth it to you to replace them. They are relatively easy to remove and replace, and as in most repairs, getting the old stuff off is the hardest part. a couple of the rivets are herd to get at, but with the right tools, shouldn't take you too long. BTW, the new ones come with a bolt kit, so you shouldn't have to buy bolts for it. good luck!

Old 04-18-2017, 06:12 AM
joegeds
Elder User
BTW, in case you need the service manual section, here it is:

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
04-02 Suspension, Rear.pdf (1.51 MB, 37 views)
Old 04-18-2017, 07:12 AM
thechief66
Laughing Gas
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by joegeds
BTW, in case you need the service manual section, here it is:
I have the FSM, but thanks for posting that anyway.
This truck has been my DD since 2001, and I also tow a travel trailer that weighs about 9000 lbs loaded, so just ignoring this is not an option.
To those of you that have actually done this job-is it best to remove the leaf spring entirely? I'm thinking that taking the extra few minutes to undo the u bolts and getting the spring out of the way would be time well spent...

Old 04-18-2017, 08:05 AM
BeholdenZippy
Senior User
Originally Posted by thechief66
This truck has been my DD since 2001, and I also tow a travel trailer that weighs about 9000 lbs loaded, so just ignoring this is not an option.
To those of you that have actually done this job-is it best to remove the leaf spring entirely? I'm thinking that taking the extra few minutes to undo the u bolts and getting the spring out of the way would be time well spent...
Due to the low rust, removing the leaf spring may make things easier. Especially if you are doing the front and rear brackets. If you remove the leaf springs, you might want to get new U bolts as some people don't reuse them. You might need a cutting torch to remove the bolt if it is stuck in the bushing (not unlikely).

Old 04-18-2017, 08:22 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you have access to a good air chisel, you won't have to grind the heads off(work hard at getting into those little areas). Cut them with the chisel(wear lots of hearing protection) and it will go quicker then grinding.

I still use the air chisel I bought from JC Whitney 30 sum years back. It just won't quit.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:25 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by thechief66

The HARDEST part about the whole job will be removing the bolt from the spring eye. they LOVE to seize in there. Maybe in CO it is not much of an issue but Out here, I typically just cut the spring hangers off the frame and throw the springs and hangers right in the scrap pile. God know that the 20 year old leaf sings are worn out just like the hangers are rusted

Old 04-18-2017, 08:43 AM
BeholdenZippy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
The HARDEST part about the whole job will be removing the bolt from the spring eye. they LOVE to seize in there. Maybe in CO it is not much of an issue but Out here, I typically just cut the spring hangers off the frame and throw the springs and hangers right in the scrap pile. God know that the 20 year old leaf sings are worn out just like the hangers are rusted
X2 that bolt is hell. If you save the springs just burn up the bushing.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:54 AM
Birdhunter1
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
When I replaced the rear hanger on my F 250 I took the bed off as I was also replacing a fuel tank and fuel lines. With the bed off it was about a 10 minute job, I lifted the rear end by the hitch with a front end loader till the tires were just off the ground, cut the rivet heads off with a grinder, popped the stubs of the rivets out through the frame, removed the bolt through the spring, replaced all the associated parts, put one bolt in place, used a drift pin on two others and the fourth one slipped right into place.

It literally took my longer to get tools out or put tools away than it did to changed the hanger.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:02 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Both of my 92 F150 reg cab rear spring hangers were completely rusted through. I replaced them with hangers from the local Ford dealer as I didn`t to wait for having ones shipped here.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:23 PM
richlars
Mountain Pass
[QUOTE=Diesel_Brad;17122184]If you plan on having the truck another 20 years, sandblast the OEM paint off. Then drill a drink hole in the bottom of the rear hanger and coat them with some POR15 or the like

Glad you said this Brad. Exactly what I have in mind for everything I can reach.

Quick Reply: Rear spring hangars