Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

excessive idling

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 12:30 PM
baronmic1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
excessive idling

Came home yesterday after a short ride. Thought I turned off 4he truck. I went into the house and 5 hours later came out to get something out of the truck and found the engine was still running. What kind of fool would do that. The truck runs so quiet and smooth I didnt notice. What kind of possible damage could I have done. Went to fill the gas tank and it sure didnt use much gas just idling.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:36 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
No damage, police cars do that all the time. If I discovered that I'd done that on my truck, I probably would have taken it and ran it hard for a couple of miles to blow the condensation out of the exhaust. I would still run it hard next time you use it, after it warms up.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:37 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You didn't do any damage. The general consensus seems to be these engines are not the best if you idle them often for long periods, but I wouldn't worry about 5 hours. Mine sees at least that much during the week (abet, not all at once) and I'm around 22% idle on the hour meter. No isssus yet.

But a little "Italian tune-up" wouldn't hurt either. Put it into Sport mode and go play to heat things up.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:07 PM
Delta Echo
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by onug
You didn't do any damage. The general consensus seems to be these engines are not the best if you idle them often for long periods, but I wouldn't worry about 5 hours. Mine sees at least that much during the week (abet, not all at once) and I'm around 22% idle on the hour meter. No isssus yet.

But a little "Italian tune-up" wouldn't hurt either. Put it into Sport mode and go play to heat things up.
22%? Holy crap, you must do a lot of city driving.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:54 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JKBrad
No damage, police cars do that all the time. If I discovered that I'd done that on my truck, I probably would have taken it and ran it hard for a couple of miles to blow the condensation out of the exhaust. I would still run it hard next time you use it, after it warms up.

When the Crown Victs idled a long time at an accident scene, the exhaust would dump what looked like a gallon of water from each pipe as the Officer drove away.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:46 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
Originally Posted by msgtord
When the Crown Victs idled a long time at an accident scene, the exhaust would dump what looked like a gallon of water from each pipe as the Officer drove away.
Oh yeah, even the new Expolrers do it.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:09 AM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my line of work (oilfield) mine idles a good bit when I'm on a land location.....No issues as of yet.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:09 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Construction site trucks idle all day long and these trucks last for hundreds of thousands of miles.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:24 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Idling in general isn't good for the engine, but you didn't hurt it. I don't see your location, but one of the big is the engine cooling off in cold climates when the climate control is pumping out heat, but this late in the year this isn't usyally an issue.

The couple gallons of gas and a few extra hours on the engine clock would be the only damage.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:13 AM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Vehicles that do a lot of idling, like police cars, are susceptible to rod and main bearing fatigue. This is due to the fact that their fluids run hotter because of the lack of airflow helping to keep things cool. But those vehicles idle all the time so you can rest assured you did no damage.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:15 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by alloro
Vehicles that do a lot of idling, like police cars, are susceptible to rod and main bearing fatigue. This is due to the fact that their fluids run hotter because of the lack of airflow helping to keep things cool. But those vehicles idle all the time so you can rest assured you did no damage.
There are a lot of police crown vics out there with 150,000 miles or more with no engine failures. The cooling system is beefed up enough to stay at normal operating temp while extended idling with the a/c on and all emergency lights on. This done with the temperature at 115 degrees.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:40 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by baronmic1
Came home yesterday after a short ride. Thought I turned off 4he truck. I went into the house and 5 hours later came out to get something out of the truck and found the engine was still running. What kind of fool would do that. The truck runs so quiet and smooth I didnt notice. What kind of possible damage could I have done. Went to fill the gas tank and it sure didnt use much gas just idling.

Wouldn't cause a problem but when you opened the door with the engine running the truck didn't make a bunch of annoying binging and bonging sounds?

Old 04-16-2017, 02:53 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
I have to chuckle at this, as I deal with trucks that idle 24/7 (fuel truck comes around every 24 hours) for months on end in Arctic conditions and depending on the engine typically no real issues come about (although the 3V V10s need a high idle to help with oiling).

During the winter my trucks and car can idle as much as 1.5-2.5 hours a day depending on temps and whats going on that day, never an issue other then fuel use.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:02 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
I have to chuckle at this, as I deal with trucks that idle 24/7 (fuel truck comes around every 24 hours) for months on end in Arctic conditions and depending on the engine typically no real issues come about (although the 3V V10s need a high idle to help with oiling).

During the winter my trucks and car can idle as much as 1.5-2.5 hours a day depending on temps and whats going on that day, never an issue other then fuel use.
Completely forgot about my experience when I lived in Minnesota. There was a couple of times when the temps were hovering around -55F, and I had to have the car outdoors. I'd carry two sets of keys, and lock the car up idling for fear that it wouldn't start at he end of the day. That would be ~~ 8+ hours of idle time. This was back in the 1970-71 days.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:14 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The company I used to work for that worked on the slope, those trucks were never shut off, the contractor would have refueling trucks come around every so often and refuel the vehicles.

Quick Reply: excessive idling