Boyfriend & Rat killed my 93 e350 shuttle bus 7.3 idi

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 11:31 AM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by TravelingTiny
the master cylinder starts smoking ....an-
Figure out wtf is up with master cylinder. I disconnected at the cylinder when it was smoking..
I don't know if it was an issue on the vans, but the trucks had a recall where the brake light switch would start a fire. The switch is always how (so the brake lights can always work I guess, even if ignition is off). Brake fluid would leak into the switch and short out the connection causing a fire. In some cases people lost their garages/homes when the fire started while they were home.

Sooo Thats a possible reason why the master cylinder could have been smoking. Whatever you unplugged, leave that off until you find out if your bus has the recalled switch. Unfortunately this means the brake lights will NOT work. However, the switch is cheap, and it should be covered by a dealer under the recall if thats the real problem.
I wish I could say more, but I don't know much about the vans, and leaving for vacation in a few hours. Someone else here can continue to help you more.

I really hope you can get it all straightened out though, these are pretty simple engines to work on. Wiring might be a mess, sounds like you are making some great strides on your own though, so take a deep breath, smile, and carry on!

Old 04-15-2017, 11:35 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
actually the switch that starts the fire is the cruise control interrupter switch. the brake light switch is inside the cab attached to the brake pedal.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:24 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
actually the switch that starts the fire is the cruise control interrupter switch. the brake light switch is inside the cab attached to the brake pedal.
I was going to say the same thing.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:50 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
TravelingTiny is having trouble posting to FTE, so she asked me to post these pictures to the forum. Anyone know what this is?

Old 04-15-2017, 07:03 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
not a clue. maybe something from the bus body manufacturer?

Old 04-15-2017, 07:11 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
The bus does have a hydraulic lift. Could this be something that facilitates the lift?

Old 04-16-2017, 01:18 AM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That unit is an electronic cruise control module - My 93 truck has one, my 92 has the old-style vacuum servo with electronics under the dash.

The electronic unit is an "all in one" that takes inputs from the VSS, steering wheel buttons, brake light sensor etc. and actuates the throttle with a motor inside the unit.

Un plug it and don't worry about it for now.

(Note: These are also used on newer gasser trucks - I found a very similar unit on a '97 F-150, similar enough that with slight modification of the cable and some custom wiring, I was able to rig it up on my '88, so I could do away with the mechanical vacuum pump after converting to hydroboost)

Old 04-16-2017, 07:16 AM
TravelingTiny
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not traveling yet

Originally Posted by Macrobb
That unit is an electronic cruise control module - My 93 truck has one, my 92 has the old-style vacuum servo with electronics under the dash.
Thank you for your detailed information that's how I learn!!!!!!!

You guys are awesome! And you will all be famous when I publish my book I tried to get a selfie of me in my girlie clothes all covered in grease but couldn't hold the phone!

Old 04-16-2017, 07:20 AM
TravelingTiny
Freshman User
Traveling Tiny needs..

Originally Posted by Macrobb

The electronic unit is an "all in one" that takes inputs from the VSS, steering wheel buttons, brake light sensor etc. and actuates the throttle with a motor inside the unit.

Un plug it and don't worry about it for now.

(Note: These are also used on newer gasser trucks - I found a very similar unit on a '97 F-150, similar enough that with slight modification of the cable and some custom wiring, I was able to rig it up on my '88, so I could do away with the mechanical vacuum pump after converting to hydroboost)
Originally Posted by genscripter
TravelingTiny is having trouble posting
I need a name change. 🤓

Old 04-16-2017, 08:17 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Originally Posted by TravelingTiny
Thank you for your detailed information that's how I learn!!!!!!!

You guys are awesome! And you will all be famous when I publish my book I tried to get a selfie of me in my girlie clothes all covered in grease but couldn't hold the phone!
It hard to hold the phone with greasy hands

Old 04-16-2017, 12:44 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by hturner12
It hard to hold the phone with greasy hands
That is one of the reasons why I started wearing rubber gloves when wrenching. The chemicals are hard on the skin and organs, plus when the phone rings, you can rip off a glove quick to answer it without dirtying up your smartphone.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:03 PM
TravelingTiny
Freshman User
Originally Posted by genscripter
That is one of the reasons why I started wearing rubber gloves when wrenching. The chemicals are hard on the skin and organs, plus when the phone rings, you can rip off a glove quick to answer it without dirtying up your smartphone.
the manager of where I am parked made the ex work on the bus and fix his sabotage. I'm watching trying to keep my mouth shut. He's not getting much accomplished but not doing anymore damages other than removing wires again.

I'm gonna let him destroy the bus I front of his friends and at least get some vindication. I am hoping for a tow tonight after dark to the free parking lot at the harbor. Wait for my check next Sunday and have it towed away from Oceanside. Then I will ask for help again. Keep me in your thoughts. Call me if you know of anyone to rescue me. I am willing to go just about anywhere and do anything to get out of this situation.

If I can't get towed away tonight then idk what to do.....

Kymberley
Not traveling in my tiny bus

Old 04-17-2017, 08:14 PM
TravelingTiny
Freshman User
new issues after fuel system test

Hey guys, I started a couple new threads so I can quickly find the answers again....There are new issues after getting a new battery and testing the fuel system per instructions above..

Here's one on parts identification
://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1486394-fuel-system-component-identification.html

I see I messed up on this. Not new post

Fuel system tested...Still fuel issues
Starting power issues solved still won't run.
​​​​​​Got new batteries today plus a jump ..Cranked great. And With a blast of ether it fired once but didn't start.

I ran direct power to the FSS I can hear it open/shut I am assuming it's allowing fuel through because:

i pulled the low pressure return while cranking and it pours fuel and builds pressure if thumb closed.
and
I am getting fuel all over the top of the engine below the IP connections to hard line's, in front of the CDR valve, runs down passenger side of the engine above the starter. Can't seem to identify leak source.
Not getting fuel through the injector #1 after 1-2 min of crank.

Found a missing glow plug in the 3rd cylinder back on passenger side from inside the bus. There is a gold but with an open center . No wire to it and no plug inside that nut like all others.

​​​​​​​What's my next step in diagnosing the obstacle to starting now?

Old 04-17-2017, 08:33 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Sounds like the lines at the IP or loose. You need to get a glow plug to put in that hole. It will make some noise with it open. When you get it running put beru/Motorcraft 's in it for now just get a cheap one

Old 04-17-2017, 11:02 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
i hope to Zenu that your B-F didn't cross thread your injector lines at the IP. That's pretty easy to do if you are not careful. My friend was putting my lines on, and he cross threaded two at the injectors. I'm still a little pissed at him.

Most autoparts stores should have a Beru/Motorcraft GP for you to buy. Odd that it was missing. I doubt you were able to run it without that GP, cuz you would have zero compression on that cylinder. Must have been something your B-F did after you broke down.

The leak is leaking as design. If you get a diesel leak, it's designed to flow down the valley pan (under the intake manifold), then go into a small hole that allows it to leak down the passenger side of the engine, near the starter. That's the proper thing. But, obviously, it shouldn't be leaking, so you need to narrow the search. My guess is with hturner's, and you have a loose injector line at the IP, or one of the seals is leaking from the injector lines.

It's good to see you are getting fuel to the IP. That narrows the problem down to your IP, Injector lines, or injector lines seals.

Quick Reply: Boyfriend & Rat killed my 93 e350 shuttle bus 7.3 idi