Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First Truck!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 07:17 PM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have one in my truck yet . I need to figure out where I'm going to put 2 amps in my little regular cab so that I can run all 8 speakers Plus the price seems a little steep

But here is a pic of someone else's truck with one. Now I'm not 100% sure, but I think there is a little storage space above the visors as well.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:55 PM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
That's looking pretty good, actually.

I wonder about adaptation in a crew cab though... It doesn't say one way or another.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:21 PM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Man, I forgot you had a crew cab. It looks like they only make them for a regular cab.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:39 PM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
How can you possibly forget such a handsome blue truck?!

Lol, I could always fabricate something in the future.

I am going to be re-tinting my windows soon to help keep the heat out and darken up the cab a bit.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:52 PM
offwhitefueler
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
You two are silly. That thing is so cool and sooooo expensive! I'd love to see a custom version. I love the idea of more storage up top- I lose so much stuff back behind my glove box and I keep having to pull it from the brackets.
Do you guys have pictures of your truck's interiors? Don't remember seeing either but maybe I missed it.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:54 PM
lio45
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to make sure, have you driven an equivalent truck with a manual?

Most of my vehicles have been manual; my F250 with the 7.3 had the same ZF 5-speed you want, and honestly, after a while (especially when stuck in traffic), you kinda get tired of having to change gears. 4.10 rear gears didn't really help - the first speed was really a low one, and it seems you're only barely moving when it's already time to press the clutch and lose a fraction of a second there when you've got other people's front bumpers impatiently tailgating you.

My turbodiesel V8 Silverado 4x4 has the slushbox, and it's quite a bit more pleasant to drive than my diesel F250HD was.

And please don't get me wrong - I really don't want to curb your fantastic enthusiasm, I just want to offer my two cents for your consideration, in your interest

If you haven't driven one already, I'd have been glad to let you drive mine, if I still had it, I had several suppliers in TX and I'd sometimes do the road trip to pick up stuff myself rather than having the stuff trucked from their plants to our depot. But that's not on the table anymore, unfortunately.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:54 PM
offwhitefueler
Mountain Pass
Josh, have you done your own tinting? I need to have mine done as well, debating how dark to go or if I should stagger it between the back and front seat windows.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:00 PM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Azryael
How can you possibly forget such a handsome blue truck?!

Lol, I could always fabricate something in the future.

I am going to be re-tinting my windows soon to help keep the heat out and darken up the cab a bit.
I thought about doing my own tint, but It bugs the out of me if the screen protector on my phone has a bubble in it. No way I could handle that on my windows.

Originally Posted by offwhitefueler
You two are silly. That thing is so cool and sooooo expensive! I'd love to see a custom version. I love the idea of more storage up top- I lose so much stuff back behind my glove box and I keep having to pull it from the brackets.
Do you guys have pictures of your truck's interiors? Don't remember seeing either but maybe I missed it.
Actually I don't think I have any interior pics of my truck at all. If I think of it I'll take a couple for ya tomorrow

Old 05-19-2017, 10:01 PM
lio45
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever seen a bullnose with front fender bodywork done to match the fender style to 87-97?

If the paint wasn't already extremely nice on your truck, it would certainly be easier to also take the bed from the same donor longbed bullnose as the entire front end (with hood and fenders).

Actually, come to think of it... you're going to already have to repaint the entire front end if you do this, so why not add the bed?

Old 05-19-2017, 10:02 PM
offwhitefueler
Mountain Pass
Me too! I asked a few friends about the tint and they all give me crap for not doing it myself. I just couldn't handle a mistake. Same as painting it. No wayyy I'd do it.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:06 PM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
I had some in another thread. I'll take some better photos tomorrow.

Originally Posted by lio45
Just to make sure, have you driven an equivalent truck with a manual?

Most of my vehicles have been manual; my F250 with the 7.3 had the same ZF 5-speed you want, and honestly, after a while (especially when stuck in traffic), you kinda get tired of having to change gears. 4.10 rear gears didn't really help - the first speed was really a low one, and it seems you're only barely moving when it's already time to press the clutch and lose a fraction of a second there when you've got other people's front bumpers impatiently tailgating you.

My turbodiesel V8 Silverado 4x4 has the slushbox, and it's quite a bit more pleasant to drive than my diesel F250HD was.

And please don't get me wrong - I really don't want to curb your fantastic enthusiasm, I just want to offer my two cents for your consideration, in your interest

If you haven't driven one already, I'd have been glad to let you drive mine, if I still had it, I had several suppliers in TX and I'd sometimes do the road trip to pick up stuff myself rather than having the stuff trucked from their plants to our depot. But that's not on the table anymore, unfortunately.
I drove a buddy's 2012 2500 CCLB Ram with the 6-speed G56 and I was totally okay with it.

I daily drive my Wrangler and my 190E which are also both 5-speeds; believe it or not, it keeps me from falling asleep when I do get stuck in the bumper-to-bumper traffic we have here in SA.

The occasional pain is well worth the overall comfort of being able to pick and choose my gears at will. The auto has begun to spoil me, but not enough to ever get the thought of a manual out of my head.

Josh, have you done your own tinting? I need to have mine done as well, debating how dark to go or if I should stagger it between the back and front seat windows.
I have not; this would be a first for me. I'm a quick study and don't mind doing things over to perfect it if I have to.

Originally Posted by lio45
Out of curiosity, has anyone ever seen a bullnose with front fender bodywork done to match the fender style to 87-97?

If the paint wasn't already extremely nice on your truck, it would certainly be easier to also take the bed from the same donor longbed bullnose as the entire front end (with hood and fenders).

Actually, come to think of it... you're going to already have to repaint the entire front end if you do this, so why not add the bed?
Someone has talked about doing it, but I've never seen it done. What I have seen is later bed get the bullnose style fenders welded in place after cutting out the round.

Assuming I can find a nice donor truck, I would take the bed as well; for now that's a small cosmetic difference I could easily live with! I've seen a few swaps in person and it didn't look that bad.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:12 PM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
Well, looks like I've got a case of fuel from the rear tank going into the front tank, so I'll need to check that out and resolve it.

Another thing that's always kinda bugged me is that my bed is slightly off center, and I don't mean up and down; the bed sits slightly farther to the right, and it's easy to see it in the mirrors and when just looking at the truck from behind. Ideally I'd like to adjust this to make it as even as possible.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:21 PM
offwhitefueler
Mountain Pass
Hey Josh-
This happened to me twice, but somehow temporarily. I know I'm asking for trouble but it COMPLETELY went away. Both times, it was after both tanks were filled, and topped off (once someone else was pumping gas for me and another time I was distracted by someone talking to me, otherwise I don't do it). Once the front was half empty the rear acted normal. There are tons of threads on here about bad diverters, not to mention sunken floats and obviously pumps. I'm interested to see how yours ends up. I've heard of people replacing the whole entire thing and it was only a small part needed.
Good luck!

Old 05-26-2017, 03:49 PM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
Hey Josh-
This happened to me twice, but somehow temporarily. I know I'm asking for trouble but it COMPLETELY went away. Both times, it was after both tanks were filled, and topped off (once someone else was pumping gas for me and another time I was distracted by someone talking to me, otherwise I don't do it). Once the front was half empty the rear acted normal. There are tons of threads on here about bad diverters, not to mention sunken floats and obviously pumps. I'm interested to see how yours ends up. I've heard of people replacing the whole entire thing and it was only a small part needed.
Good luck!
Well, I'm gonna use the opportunity to get the larger 38-gallon tank for the rear anyway, so I'll inspect and replace the rest of the components as I need to.

Then further down the road I'll swap out the front tank with one from a super duty too to have that increased range; there will be a lot of road trips coming up, and the less time spent at the pump, the better!

Old 05-26-2017, 04:21 PM
rock15t
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since your truck is a diesel, it doesn't have fuel delivery modules in the tanks like the gas trucks. Your problem is probably with the selector valve on the frame rail.

Quick Reply: My First Truck!