2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Truck WIFI

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 07:41 AM
Moondog4224
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck WIFI

i was wondering if the wifi the truck uses to update itself is also a wifi that can be used for for phones and laptops while traveling?

if so how do you connect/ utilize it?
thx

Old 04-07-2017, 08:05 AM
bikerman5345
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its not a hotspot. It uses an outside wifi such as from your house or your mobile device hotspot. You just select it and enter any security codes and it should connect.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:18 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,667 Likes on 2,740 Posts
^^^ What he said. The WiFi in the truck is a client, not a server.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:16 PM
Moondog4224
New User
Thx....
kinda sad in a truck this expensive

Old 04-07-2017, 08:20 PM
Arkfblayer52
New User
Originally Posted by Moondog4224
Thx....
I think its kinda funny you think the truck would just come with its own wifi...

Old 04-07-2017, 08:27 PM
TX03RUBI
Senior User
Originally Posted by Arkfblayer52
I think its kinda funny you think the truck would just come with its own wifi...
Both of my 2015 Silverados do, and they're only LT packages. You'd think a $30k more expensive truck could have it.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:28 PM
bronc71
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Arkfblayer52
Why? My wife's Cadillac xt-5 comes with it you do have to pay for it but it's nice I wish my 450 had it

Old 04-07-2017, 09:07 PM
screwy
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
It's coming I believe, not for us but on future models as part of the Sync connect system. I don't see the point though, just about any smart phone can be a hot spot, why would I want to pay for yet another plan when I already have the phone?

Old 04-07-2017, 09:26 PM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
So you want the expense of another service to feed the hotspot? Yes, you have to give the hotspot a data plan or add on to an existing plan. What I do... instead of that extra fee for just your truck, have your phone do the hotspot, see your cell provider for this add-on costs. Makes more sense, then you could have a hot spot even when away from your truck.

We use ours then in hotels, camping etc. Don't rely on their usually slow wifi. Speedtest.net tests are usually over 10meg down and sometimes that much up, I use Verizon and their 4G is very fast in most areas, Samsung galaxy s7.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:36 PM
bronc71
Posting Guru
I hear in the states you have unlimited data plans in Canada we do not have that so adding a plan to my wife's Cadillac is actually cheaper then more data on a cell phone plan I know it doesn't make sense but it's Canada hey!

Old 04-07-2017, 09:40 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,667 Likes on 2,740 Posts
I do not have an unlimited data plan on my cell phone. I have 6GB shared between four phones. Two of those are used by my 21 and 23 year old sons. We're pretty careful to not exceed 6GB as it gets expensive.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:43 PM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
I'm grandfathered in w unlimited. Bad part is, I have to buy outright my phones now.

We stream 1080p movies with a buffer that kills any commercially offered wifi. Can also keep ahead of 4K movies, however that library is very limited. Love my hotspot, but would not want to have the service locked into one of my vehicles.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:45 PM
AZFordLover
Tuned
Received 73 Likes on 39 Posts
As the contrarian, I do *NOT* want WiFi in my truck - those data connections spy on you.

See the TOS (terms of service) from my LD Ram:

Privacy Statement

"Sprint may collect information from you or your vehicle (with Information You Give, all called “Collected Data”) which may include but not limited to:

Vehicle Data: information related to your vehicle, such as vehicle sensor data, diagnostic data, odometer readings, collision information, location information, information about when your ignition is turned on or off, speed, tire pressure data, performance data, information about accidents, driving history, etc.;

Location Information: GPS location information about your vehicle in the following circumstances: to respond to a request from inside the vehicle (e.g., when you request directions or conduct a point of interest search); to notify emergency service providers; to assist law enforcement as part of a request for stolen vehicle assistance; to protect your safety or the safety of others in our sole discretion (e.g., to locate a missing person); as part of the Vehicle Data for quality or research and development purposes; to provide the Uconnect Services; to send you Uconnect Services related messages or as may be required by law or regulations. Some of this data may be transmitted even after your ignition is off; and

User Experience Data: information about the way you use the Uconnect Services that helps FCA US and Sprint improve, customize or communicate about services which are offered to you.

Your information and your Vehicle Data (including Location Information) may be collected, used, disclosed, and shared in accordance with this Policy and U.S. laws, rules, and regulations. You consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of this data, including by FCA US. Your vehicle, as manufactured, may include certain features that may collect Vehicle Data (including Location Information) even before you buy your vehicle, and before and after your use of the Uconnect Services. We may use this data for diagnostics, troubleshooting, and to provide vehicle health and other information to you. If we collect Location Information after you buy or lease your vehicle but before you register for the Uconnect Services, we will obtain your consent. If you do not want this information to be collected, used, or shared, you may opt-out by performing the Remove Uconnect Account procedure or contacting us as described in the “Privacy Choices” section below.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:51 PM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Back to the OP

I had wifi on my last GM truck as well. Problem is... it's not free!. So many peeps now hear wifi and they associate that free way of thinking. Problem is, you are being the transmitter of the wifi, this costs money. I feel a big number buying these trucks won't want this expense and have it only locked into transmitting within that vehicle.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:59 PM
FmaxTurboSi
Senior User
Originally Posted by Moondog4224
Thx....
My 2014 ram that costed 15k less had wifi.....

Quick Reply: Truck WIFI