Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Spare Tire Carrier Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 12:30 PM
Suprawill1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spare Tire Carrier Shaft

'05 Escape Limited

Hi All,
I am getting ready to remove my spare tire carrier to replace or repair the cranking shaft. I can see the shaft is connected to the wench by a carter pin. Is the other end that is inserted into the bumper easy to remove or is there a special procedure?
Thanks in advance.

Will

Old 04-06-2017, 04:12 PM
Suprawill1
Senior User
Ok, so I guess no one's done this before. I'm also having a problem removing the shaft from the wench end.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:50 PM
got2bjoester
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
You bring up a good point and a soon as the weather breaks here in the Northeast, I'm dropping my spare for at least an inspection and whatever maintenance is required.

...but to date, I've only seen that there is indeed a spare mounted.....

Old 04-07-2017, 12:56 PM
Suprawill1
Senior User
Monday and Tues look like good days. I'm currently revamping the whole carrier system. All electric, no cranking.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:20 PM
ferretface
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Suprawill1
I'm currently revamping the whole carrier system. All electric, no cranking.
I'd be interested in seeing a write-up with pics on that. My last SUV was an Xterra with the spare lower-er actuated by the lug wrench but the actuating slot was way under the truck and needed a flashlight at night. I carried it inside instead.

Now my new-used 2008 Escape has the slot on the bumper but it is very rusty and doesn't want to move. As soon as the rain stops I'll PB-Blast every part I can see from underneath, but lowering a spare with 'good clothes' on isn't something I'm looking forward to...

Old 06-07-2017, 02:44 PM
Suprawill1
Senior User
Hi ferretface,
Here's what I did. After researching parts, it was pretty simple. My Escape is an '05 so yours may be slightly different as I believe '08s started the 2nd gen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hguu...ature=youtu.be

Attached Images   
Old 06-07-2017, 03:58 PM
ferretface
Freshman User
Hi ferretface,
Here's what I did. After researching parts, it was pretty simple. My Escape is an '05 so yours may be slightly different as I believe '08s started the 2nd gen.
Very nice conversion! The bracket seems easy enough. Where did you source the motor/gearbox from? Electric window lift?

And where did you tap into the 12v power? I'm guessing you put the up/down switch inside the cargo area...

Did you fabricate a cover to keep water/snow off the motor/gearbox???

I freed up my carrier cable today and lowered the spare and PB-Blaster sprayed the cable box. It's pretty obvious that the spare was never used...or ever cleaned off...

Edit: I just watched the video...IT'S MAGIC!!!

Old 06-08-2017, 12:08 AM
Suprawill1
Senior User
Thanks. I purchased the gear motor from a company called Makermotor.
If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you the info.

I tapped off of the subwoofer amp which is a mere 12" away from where I put the switch. It is a 15A supply but only about 10A is needed.

Thought about a shield but when I contacted the company and asked should I cover it with plastic, he said no need as far as splashing is concerned. He was more concerned about rocks and other hard contact but when the tire is in the hoisted position, it pretty much covers and protects it.

I have yet to incorporate an end travel switch so the motor doesn't lock up when it's fully hoisted.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:37 AM
ferretface
Freshman User
Thanks. I purchased the gear motor from a company called Makermotor.
If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you the info.
I am interested but I don't have enough posts yet to send PMs. I'll get back to you whenever I get enough. Thanks!

Old 06-08-2017, 05:48 PM
Suprawill1
Senior User
Originally Posted by ferretface
I am interested but I don't have enough posts yet to send PMs. I'll get back to you whenever I get enough. Thanks!

Either that or email.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:56 PM
ferretface
Freshman User
Either that or email.
Yup. Nothing shows up in your profile yet; I'll have to post in a couple more threads.

Oh, I see what it is - I haven't been a member for 10 days yet. Well, I'm retired - I have the time!

Old 07-03-2017, 10:26 AM
ferretface
Freshman User
I pulled my space-saver spare off today. After soaking the bumper socket with PB Blaster for a week, and ratcheting it back & forth, it finally came down fairly easily. Getting the end through the center hole of the wheel took some persuasion. I decided to store the spare in the cargo space in the rear rather than underneath. The three bolts came out easily, and the cotter pin did too. The biggest problem was trimming the hole in the rubber rear 'step' bigger to get the lowering cable/conduit out.

But the whole process was not one I want to do on the road. Sitting on blocks in front of my garage with beaucoup tools sitting 10 feet away was one thing; on a rainy road at night is another. I'd rather pull it out of my 'trunk' than have to crawl underneath. So the power option is out.

But your conversion was interesting. I'm trying to think of something else I could use it on...

Old 07-04-2017, 02:33 AM
Suprawill1
Senior User
Pulling the spare out of the trunk is all one was ever expected to do. Clean, safe and to the point. If you've got that option, go for it! The only plus having it mounted underneath the vehicle is that you don't ever have to unload cargo to get to it. You and I will have the best of both worlds.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:12 PM
simonsi
Senior User
Pulling the spare out of the trunk is all one was ever expected to do.
Yeah whoever decided that getting the driver soaking wet (from crawling underneath in the rain), was better than getting your luggage wet (from being unloaded to get the spare out of the trunk)???

Old 07-09-2017, 10:32 PM
Suprawill1
Senior User
What was the slogan, Ford has a better idea?

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Carrier Shaft