1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Buying a used 2003 Ford F-150, any concerns?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 07:08 PM
nsimi
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a used 2003 Ford F-150, any concerns?

Hey everyone,

Im new to the forum and im sure I might get a few pro-biased opinions on here , but I was planning on buying a truck in the next few weeks and found a nice F150 that I might pick up over the weekend. Just hoping I could get your guys opinion on the deal and how that year truck performs overall.

The main reason im buying this car is for a secondary weekend car mainly usedfor light-medium offroading, hauling a boat that I might buy in the next couple of months, and for those longer road trips in the mountains to go snowboarding. Im not too hung up on looks and not looking to take a loan out so I found one locally that I thought was a very good deal.
I was hoping I could get maybe some of your guys advice on the model and if you think its a good deal or if I should look around some more.

The truck itself is a 2003 Ford F-150 SXT 4x4 with a 5.4L V8 engine. It has 140k miles, 2 owners, no accidents and in the last year he got alot of stuff done to it (and claims to have paperwork that I havent seen yet) - new spark plugs, spark plug wires, tires, shocks, alternator, battery and a new tranny put in the last 2 years. The outside is pretty decent shape, the bed is a prettty used up but I could always get that redone, the interior is pretty decent too although you can definitely tell the car is 10+ years old. I talked the guy down to $5000 cash and it seems like a good deal so far. With everything mentioned, hows it sounding/looking and is there anything I should look out for?

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Old 03-30-2017, 07:33 PM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nsimi
Hey everyone,

Im new to the forum and im sure I might get a few pro-biased opinions on here , but I was planning on buying a truck in the next few weeks and found a nice F150 that I might pick up over the weekend. Just hoping I could get your guys opinion on the deal and how that year truck performs overall.

The main reason im buying this car is for a secondary weekend car mainly usedfor light-medium offroading, hauling a boat that I might buy in the next couple of months, and for those longer road trips in the mountains to go snowboarding. Im not too hung up on looks and not looking to take a loan out so I found one locally that I thought was a very good deal.
I was hoping I could get maybe some of your guys advice on the model and if you think its a good deal or if I should look around some more.

The truck itself is a 2003 Ford F-150 SXT 4x4 with a 5.4L V8 engine. It has 140k miles, 2 owners, no accidents and in the last year he got alot of stuff done to it (and claims to have paperwork that I havent seen yet) - new spark plugs, spark plug wires, tires, shocks, alternator, battery and a new tranny put in the last 2 years. The outside is pretty decent shape, the bed is a prettty used up but I could always get that redone, the interior is pretty decent too although you can definitely tell the car is 10+ years old. I talked the guy down to $5000 cash and it seems like a good deal so far. With everything mentioned, hows it sounding/looking and is there anything I should look out for?

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Welcome to FTE

Well your right the seller, has done a fair amount of work. If they can present the paper work to confirm the work done is a real plus...especially for the transmission. I take it that the photo in the link is the truck? or reasonable representation? If it is a crew cab then you have a pretty good price.

The things to look for will require you to crawl under it and nose around.
Look for extreme rust on the frame...focus on the areas that the rear springs attach to the frame and the mounts for the radiator. Don't be afraid to shake things and see if the rattle. Open the doors and look at the lower door seems....& see if they are clean or blistering with rust.

I bought mine a few years back now with similar mileage as your prospective purchase....& it is still going strong with over 193k only within the last 6 months have I had to change the Alt & starter and water pump...no going to say that you'll go that long before you need any more repairs. Just that with reasonable maintenance like it appears that it has gotten it & should serve you well for some time to come

Old 03-30-2017, 09:35 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 116 Likes on 103 Posts
I bought my 2002 with 98K miles for $8000. 3 years ago. Now has 158K so similar to yours. Engine and trans work great. I also have changed the alternator and starter out recently. Had a rear spring shackle rust out and fail. Replace both of them, needle gun everything behind the rear axle and rust converter/ undercoat............ looks like your in Nevada so rust might not be a concern... Spark plugs were due at 100K so sounds like your in good shape.......... $5K not bad for a CREW.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:03 PM
Austin J.
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the 5.4 2vs. I just installed a reman 2v in a 1999. They have been reliable for me and my previous truck has performed well despite poor treatment. The biggest thing to look for is rust in the cab. The rocker panels are bad for rust and can lead to some serious issues. Rust was the main killer of the truck in my pic. Poke the bottom of the rocker and see if it is soft. Make sure the 4x4 actually engages. The light will come on, but the front diff may not engage. It is usually an easy fix as it is a simple vacuum system, but a possible negotiation point. Another thing to check is if there is any exhaust leaks at the manifolds. Those are a real pain to deal with. Around me though, the crew cabs in that condition would like sell for a bit higher than 5k. Overall that is a pretty nice looking truck for that price.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:05 AM
jchandler11
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty much what everybody was saying. CHECK fluids and change accordingly. Can not stress that so much along with regular oil changes and tranny fluid changes at certain miles. I bought my 02 f150 XL 4.2 Auto with 117k miles on the clock and am now at 201k+ with no major issues but that was because I have kept up with everything. I have changed out alternator, outer tie rods/ball joints, rear diff oil, tranny fluid, brake fluid, power steering, coolant, etc on my truck. Everything else has been normal stuff to change like tires, alternator serpentine belt, battery, air filter. Also check for cracking belts, hoses, and gaskets for the age of the vehicle. Get underneath the vehicle and check for ANY leaks or discoloration as that could be a sign of something more. Good luck man and hope purchase goes thru for you.