1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Let's see if I can get a better response here!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 11:19 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tormentedfaith
it has an airaid intake, full 4inch exhaust turbo back. And a tuner (edge) mostly just for gauges I've never put it on anything more than the tow tune.
not entirely sure about aor raid, thank you for the love of God, it does not have a K&N intake…your trip sounds about as normal as a 7.3 L That acts like a rattle in the babies crib, I would be more concerned if the truck was dead quiet as that wpulse indicate an issue

I know you may not know me from a sign post and that I am not sure what mods (or gauges if any) but I would suggest if you want to use your truck as a daily or even a work/tow pig you get exhaust gauge(s) yes I suggest two as the preferred way, but one is better than none, also would suggest fuel pressure gauge, the rest can be monitored using Torque pro with a droid candy tablet (4.4 or later recommended) and a Bluetooth adapter like the OBDLink MX (what me and Tuggly use) I will post a picture of my updated set up later today when I return from work.

i also suggest looking into the hutch and harpoon mods (fuel tank mods)

Old 03-30-2017, 06:36 PM
tormentedfaith
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andym
Don't put anything in the crank case but oil.

If you have 321k on the original injectors, they've lead a good long life. Some people get more out of them, but just to get them that far you've got to change the oil regularly and keep up on all the maintenance. That says a lot for the condition of the motor.

Mine had 185k on it when I put new injectors in mine. The o-rings were torn up on most of them, and I had at least one cup that wasn't installed right. Yours probably isn't in as good of shape as mine because of the miles.

It would be helpful to know what work has been done on it, especially related to the injectors though.
rebuilt trans with in the last month. Hpop repaired with a repair kit in the last two years. New radiator. New alternator. New batteries. Suspension has been over hauled. Break pads calipers rotors. I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff. But it also has receipts for 5 years of oil changes every 3k miles. Interior is about as clean as you can get there isn't a stain anywhere on the carpet. The two front seats show a little age but don't have any rips, the center console is the only issue the plastic around the cup holders is peeling from sun. So I think it was pretty well taken care of.

and the miss that it's having is so slight. And it didn't start until after I added the two stroke oil. So that could be a cause.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:01 PM
tormentedfaith
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Jaime74656
not entirely sure about aor raid, thank you for the love of God, it does not have a K&N intake…your trip sounds about as normal as a 7.3 L That acts like a rattle in the babies crib, I would be more concerned if the truck was dead quiet as that wpulse indicate an issue

I know you may not know me from a sign post and that I am not sure what mods (or gauges if any) but I would suggest if you want to use your truck as a daily or even a work/tow pig you get exhaust gauge(s) yes I suggest two as the preferred way, but one is better than none, also would suggest fuel pressure gauge, the rest can be monitored using Torque pro with a droid candy tablet (4.4 or later recommended) and a Bluetooth adapter like the OBDLink MX (what me and Tuggly use) I will post a picture of my updated set up later today when I return from work.

thats what worries me about about airaid I'm pretty sure they're owned by k&n

Old 03-30-2017, 07:06 PM
tormentedfaith
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Jaime74656

also i have the edge cts so I have some gauges not egt or fuel pressure as of yet. I've been looking into the torque app and blue tooth obd tool but then I would not be able to run my cts. But I can also get the adapter to run my egt and fuel pressure on my cts. It's just a matter of getting them. Egt doesn't really bother me as of now. I have a little car I drive to work I work 4on 4off so the pickup only gets driven on my days off and it's not driven hard either. But we got the pickup to get a bigger camper. Before I pull it I will get an egt adapter to monitor that.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:06 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Engine sounds pretty normal to me too. Could be a tired or loose injector adding to it, but nothing awful. These things can make unsettling noises and run just fine.

For the recent oil change, did you use synthetic oil? Tired injectors respond well to that. If you removed synth and put in dino tired injectors will show themselves. Hard cold starts, more noise, etc.

Adding the EGT and fuel pressure sensors to the CTS sounds like a good deal. CTS reads codes?

Old 03-31-2017, 01:48 AM
tormentedfaith
Freshman User
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
Engine sounds pretty normal to me too. Could be a tired or loose injector adding to it, but nothing awful. These things can make unsettling noises and run just fine.

For the recent oil change, did you use synthetic oil? Tired injectors respond well to that. If you removed synth and put in dino tired injectors will show themselves. Hard cold starts, more noise, etc.

Adding the EGT and fuel pressure sensors to the CTS sounds like a good deal. CTS reads codes?
yeah the cts reads codes. And also I put rotella 15-40 in it. I'm fairly certain that the "knock" is injectors. Now I just have to find a misfire that I'm getting.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:12 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 588 Likes on 319 Posts
This may sound goofy - but do you know what kind of oil the previous owner used? Have you checked your oil, to make sure it's full? 7.3's do strange things with the wrong and or not enough oil..

Old 03-31-2017, 06:19 AM
tormentedfaith
Freshman User
Originally Posted by SDElwood
This may sound goofy - but do you know what kind of oil the previous owner used? Have you checked your oil, to make sure it's full? 7.3's do strange things with the wrong and or not enough oil..

last owner used rotella 10/30, I just did an oil change on it and replaced it with 15/40 rotella and it's full slightly over full to be honest haha.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:26 AM
tormentedfaith
Freshman User
I'm not sure if he used synthetic or not though.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:32 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
10/30? Yikes.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:34 AM
tormentedfaith
Freshman User
10/30? Yikes.

yeah im assuming he did it for winter starts. We're in Colorado and was close to the mountains lol.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:43 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Proper synthetic diesel oil is 5-40 - which I run all year. 10-30 is not the right stuff for our atomic bond-shearing HPOP and our HEUI injectors.

I'd hold off on any injector chasing until after another oil change. It takes a while to flush that stuff out.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:49 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Right on, Rich!

Old 03-31-2017, 07:57 AM
tormentedfaith
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Tugly
Proper synthetic diesel oil is 5-40 - which I run all year. 10-30 is not the right stuff for our atomic bond-shearing HPOP and our HEUI injectors.

I'd hold off on any injector chasing until after another oil change. It takes a while to flush that stuff out.
yeah, I'll do that too then. Have you ever heard of 2 stroke oil in fuel causing any issues? I've read on one forum that someone had issues with it I'll be doing a buzz test a contribution test and possibly a compression test tomorrow. I just have a little slight skip or miss at idle that started a few days ago only thing I changed was put some two stroke oil in my fuel. (Supposed to be good for lubrication) I mean it's so slight you can hardly tell. you can hear and feel it skip and then pick up and then a couple seconds it'll do it again.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:04 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
You mean it does this?

I've heard ashless two-stroke oil works well as a lubricant. Washington state uses 5% bio in our diesel, which automatically helps with the lubricity. I still use an additive for lubricity and the Cetane rating (another important part of the fuel for our legacy engines). All the brands I've tried work about the same, so use which ever one has the most impressive label or the best price.

HEUI injectors solved a power issue at the time of their introduction, and they delivered in spades. Well... that was 1/4 century ago, and things have changed since then. While the HEUI still rocks our antiquated Superduties, they lack precision. You won't get the perfect idle that my Prius gets... but you can carry the Prius in the bed.

Quick Reply: Let's see if I can get a better response here!