2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Kubota's Modifications thread, w/ chit chat

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 03:23 PM
Sleeper73
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Following for weight loss also

Old 01-05-2018, 07:06 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,472 Likes on 960 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigdflyer
Sorry I never got back to reply last month, busy holidays and a new puppy keeping me busy! Corrected for my 35’s with forescan. Still love the look of those wheels/tires! Wondering, have you looked into painting or powdercoating the rear hubs? Might go that direction on wheels down the road. Having a lot of fun with this truck!
Thank you! I have not i iust couldnt afford the down time to powdercoat. Im debating putting the centercaps on the rear i just havent gotten around to it yet. I personally kind of like the utilitaian look of the full float hubs sticking out. Last week i re adjusted my steering wheel center and put the front mud flaps back on and got them trimmed so tires dont rub them. Ive put close to 3000 miles on these tires and im shocked how well they are wearing! Even towing in the mountains included i can literally barely see any wear on the tread.

Originally Posted by Becorum
I just read this whole thread over the past couple days, great information. I actually found one of your old threads that got hijacked, was trying to find information about tunes, programmers, parts falling off, etc. Anyway I do have a couple questions for you. Have you still not heard anything about the trans tunes from PPEI? Also I know you still have the stock resonator and tail pipe so what kit did you use exatly for the exhaust?
Awesome, no problem. At the time there was hardly any info out there so i wanted to try and do my part to get something out.
I have not hesrd anything else, im going to follow up again shortly . Last i heard tunes were done but ez lynk/ auto agent was working on the capability to flash the tcm. Im ready, i hate the stock slushy power wasting heat building shifts. I used a flo pro pipe and i was dissappointed with the fit. It took some time with a welder and torch to modify and add a few hangers to get it properly secured in order to prevent drone and to get the tail section positioned close to stock. I would like to think they have this corrected now. But i would highly reccomend keeping the stock tail and resonator if you dont want to hear drone in the cab. The weight, vibration damper and stock resonator are all there for a reason, and thats why i have no drone.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:25 AM
Becorum
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76
Awesome, no problem. At the time there was hardly any info out there so i wanted to try and do my part to get something out.
I have not hesrd anything else, im going to follow up again shortly . Last i heard tunes were done but ez lynk/ auto agent was working on the capability to flash the tcm. Im ready, i hate the stock slushy power wasting heat building shifts. I used a flo pro pipe and i was dissappointed with the fit. It took some time with a welder and torch to modify and add a few hangers to get it properly secured in order to prevent drone and to get the tail section positioned close to stock. I would like to think they have this corrected now. But i would highly reccomend keeping the stock tail and resonator if you dont want to hear drone in the cab. The weight, vibration damper and stock resonator are all there for a reason, and thats why i have no drone.
I will try to prevent things from falling off while I still have a warranty. However I am trying to see the best route to go as far as exhaust, programmers, tunes, etc. I am in between a rock and a hard spot becasue I do not want a drone but I also hate the stock fake dual pipe tip... Sucks that Fro Pro doesnt fit properly, anyway thanks for all the info!

Old 01-08-2018, 06:41 AM
Bigdflyer
Freshman User
Becorum - I’ve been thinking of running my setup like Kubota’s also(thanks for the great info btw!) but maybe cut the dual tip off and add something better looking. I dont think that should affect sound much at all. Haven’t looked into the availability of a part that would fit though, maybe someone could weigh in on that.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:05 AM
Becorum
Junior User
Originally Posted by Bigdflyer
Becorum - I’ve been thinking of running my setup like Kubota’s also(thanks for the great info btw!) but maybe cut the dual tip off and add something better looking. I dont think that should affect sound much at all. Haven’t looked into the availability of a part that would fit though, maybe someone could weigh in on that.
This might be a dumb question but what size pipe is the stock exhaust on these 2017 6.7 trucks?

Old 01-08-2018, 07:11 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Looks like 3.5" to me on the over the axle section, i will verify. Not sure if the tip affects sound or not, i bet it has some small effect. Not sure on the affect of drone, I do know it doesnt take much.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:41 AM
Becorum
Junior User
Looks like 3.5" to me on the over the axle section, i will verify. Not sure if the tip affects sound or not, i bet it has some small effect. Not sure on the affect of drone, I do know it doesnt take much.
3.5" is what I was thinking, I do know a tip has a pretty big impact of how they sound at WOT. I had stock exhasut on my 6.0 with cat and muffler deleted and a 6 inch tip and it was loud. I replaced it with full 4" straight piped MBRP with no tip and it was more quiet than the other setup. I put another 6" tip in the full straight pipe and the volume was back to loud. Just my .02

Old 01-08-2018, 07:55 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
makes total sense, its all about some word i cant think of to do with tuning sound like instruments, lol

Old 01-08-2018, 08:03 AM
swlakingranch
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Kubota,
Jorge Consigs from EZ Lynk posted this morning that tcm flash capabilities should be available at some point this week.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:15 AM
ACK3000
Junior User
4" full Flo Pro is what I'm running. Fit perfectly. I'm now adding a "Twister" resonator to eliminate the little bit of drone.

Also considering adding a muffler. Last cold start you'd thought an airplane was about to take off. Im sure my neighbors love it. Much louder than my 2011 with 4" AFE exhaust.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:30 AM
Becorum
Junior User
Originally Posted by ACK3000
4" full Flo Pro is what I'm running. Fit perfectly. I'm now adding a "Twister" resonator to eliminate the little bit of drone.

Also considering adding a muffler. Last cold start you'd thought an airplane was about to take off. Im sure my neighbors love it. Much louder than my 2011 with 4" AFE exhaust.

https://youtu.be/pZ80oq-zzCE
Great information! I will not be running a muffler unless absolutely necessary to stop the drone.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:40 AM
ACK3000
Junior User
From Flo Pro - the “twister has been a great success with 0 complaints when it comes to eliminating drone”The muffler will not help with drone, just cut down on the overall noise. My 4” sounded like a 5” when it was all done. Don’t get me wrong, it sounded nice..but didn’t want to be that guy in the neighborhood that rumbles up and down the street.
Originally Posted by Becorum
Great information! I will not be running a muffler unless absolutely necessary to stop the drone.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:42 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Originally Posted by swlakingranch
Kubota,
Jorge Consigs from EZ Lynk posted this morning that tcm flash capabilities should be available at some point this week.
Man, fingers crossed thats gonna be a game changer. I HATE the way this thing shifts!

In all the exhausts i have built on gassers and diesels (probably 20 or so), i have learned alot of time drone is solved by stopping the pipe reverberating or vibration at certain rpm, more so in longer runs of pipe. This can be accomplished by adding dampers or additional hangers. Also you can use the method alot of car makers are using in mufflers not and actually weld a calculated length of pipe to the outside exhaust tubing to stop the drone. 90 it off and run parallel with pipe. Look at the new f150 muffler on the 5.0. Its straight through with a series of small pipe welded to the straight thru section tuned just right to have no drone but max flow.

Ive also always had great luck with Donaldson mufflers at stopping drone for a simple approach.

i had a 40" on a few trucks, which is straight through with a chamber, this one lets the exhaust talk, turbo whistle but no drone, and can be had fairly cheap from any truck dealer.
The Donaldson resonator does something similar but on a lesser scale and is cheaper.
the Straight thru version of the 51" Donaldson will make it almost sound stock with a VVT but will still flow everything a 4" or 5" pipe will throw at it.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:08 PM
jnuechte
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

37x12.50 toyo rt on method "standard" 20x9 18mm offset

See previous in this thread for pictures
Kubota,

You say you have 37x12.5 RT's on 20x9 +18 offset, this is the EXACT setup I want to use with a 2.5" carli front level. However I am very afraid it will rub on the radius arms and swaybar. I started a thread on this and had two people say they have this setup and theirs rubs:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ffset-rub.html

Are you 100% sure you have no rubbing anywhere? I am trying to gain confidence on the +18 offset, as I want to avoid 0mm offset as I think it sticks out a bit too much for me.

Your help is appreciated!!

Old 01-10-2018, 06:32 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!

Originally Posted by jnuechte
Kubota,

You say you have 37x12.5 RT's on 20x9 +18 offset, this is the EXACT setup I want to use with a 2.5" carli front level. However I am very afraid it will rub on the radius arms and swaybar. I started a thread on this and had two people say they have this setup and theirs rubs:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ffset-rub.html

Are you 100% sure you have no rubbing anywhere? I am trying to gain confidence on the +18 offset, as I want to avoid 0mm offset as I think it sticks out a bit too much for me.

Your help is appreciated!!
Took these for you, ive put about 3000 miles on the truck with these tires. Looks like radius arms may have been touched a time or two? not really sure. I do know i have never felt anything rub. The ford mud flaps on the other hand is a different story, Its taken quite a bit of tirimming to keep the tires off of them. I wanted to keep them to help keep road spray under control.

The last time i trimmed the mud flaps i did do some testing twisting up the suspension trying to make them rub, could be where radius arms got touched? who knows.

On another note word is on the street the ez lynk tcm flashing is working for the beta testers and is up for release any time? fingers crossed and expectations lowered

Quick Reply: Kubota's Modifications thread, w/ chit chat