Sponsored by:

9 inch conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 10:22 PM
bronco cam
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9 inch conversion

How hard would it be to get a ford 9inch rear end from a earlier full size bronco and put it in my 96? Does it bolt right on? Has anyone out there done this? How about a 10.25 sterling out of a f250 or 350?

Old 12-05-2002, 11:55 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
9 inch conversion

You can't put a 9" in, and there's really no reason to. The 8.8" is every bit as strong and MUCH easier to find parts for.
http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=offroadfordbroncolate&Numb er=898100&page=1&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&fpart=

The 10.25" is possible, but you'd have to do something with the front rims or carry 2 spares.

Old 12-06-2002, 07:54 AM
marriedguy1
Senior User
9 inch conversion

The 10.25 is an easier swap because the ABS sensor plugs right in. With the 9 inch you have to fab up a tone ring or buy a sensor that installs in the t-case in order to make ABS and the tranny work right.

Old 12-06-2002, 01:43 PM
tite4x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
9 inch conversion

hey bronco cam
The 9" rear-end is not set up for ABS. On your 96, you have the full four wheel ABS. To do away with the rear end sensor may create havoc with the rest of the abs and brake systems. The 8.8 has a tone ring that is bolted to the ring gear inside the housing and there is a magnetic pick up sensor that bolts through the housing just in line with this tone ring. I'm not sure about the 10.25", whether or not if it would bolt right up to the leaf springs. As far as the sensor pluging right into the 10.25", I'm not sure.

Old 12-06-2002, 05:34 PM
bronco cam
Senior User
9 inch conversion

Hey guys I dont know if i believe this but i was at a web page that said some broncos even up to 96 came with a ford 9 inch rearend. I have never seen a newer bronco with that rearend. This is the web site www.4wheeldrive.about.com.

Old 12-07-2002, 12:26 AM
steve83
Post Fiend
9 inch conversion

No. It's wrong if it says that. And the 10.25" uses a 120-tooth tone ring, where the 8.8's is 108-tooth. It'll throw off the speedo, tach, ABS, & transmission slightly until you recalibrate the speedo.

Old 12-07-2002, 01:03 AM
Boss_358
Posting Guru

9 inch conversion

The 9 inch was last seen in 1983 trucks. A 9 inch from an 80-83 would bolt right in but like many have already said there is the ABS issue. BTW, Last time I checked there were many more aftermarket parts and components being produced for the 9 inch over the 8.8 because of its reliability and the mass quantities that are available. Although I do think the 8.8 is catching up. The only thing that makes the 8.8 more prone to detonation are the C-clip axle retainers that like to give under high performance applications. I would imagine thats why C-clip eliminators are so popular for 8.8's. If you have a money tree in the back yard you could do the 10.25 and have some axles made to fit that carry the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern. Or gut all of the components out of an F-250's front Dana 50 and make your bronco 8 lug all around. Although if that were the case you could just flush the ABS down the toilet and throw in a couple of solid Dana 60's.

Old 12-07-2002, 11:05 AM
tite4x4
Senior User
9 inch conversion

As BOSS_358 states: The main problem with the 8.8" rears is the c-clip, especially under pressure. I've seen axles completely come out of housing, because the c-clip fell off or failed.
Another problem that I have noticed is the open differential w/spider gears. I haven't used the c-clip eliminators my self, but I've heard that they do work. I accually went several steps beyond that, though. My 8.8", originally from an 89 Bronco XLT, but now on my 90 E.B. was custom rebuilt to have rotors put on. I got rid of the c-clips all together. The housing flanges that hold the drums on were cut off and flanges from the 9"- rear were welded on. Put an Eaton limited slip differential, 410 gears, and Dutchman Motorsport Axles. Basically replaced everthing but the housing and tone ring. The brackets for the calipers are what holds the axles in place. If it wasn't for the ABS system, I would have went for the 9". I really haven't gone off-road much ,mainly because my rig has been down more often than I care to think about since May of 2001, when I bought it. That's sort of a long story. But finnally back up and running with averything prety much new or rebuilt except transfer case. Now I'm planning on trying to go to the Winter fun feist up in Auburn,CA, once again, part of long story.
anyways I hope this helps

Old 12-07-2002, 12:50 PM
bronco cam
Senior User
9 inch conversion

How hard would it be to do away with the antilock brake system? I would like to put a dana 60 in the front of my bronco with a sterling 10.25 in the back. I hope to get these out of a f350. I know this is a big job but I want my bronco bullet proof. Any of you guys heard of someone doing this conversion?

Old 12-07-2002, 01:28 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
9 inch conversion

All you have to do to disable the 4WABS is pull the relay, or pull the connector off the computer under the wiper reservoir, or pull the fuse, or pull the bulb out of the instrument cluster. Don't trash your axle or any of the other parts, though - someone will want it.

You'll want to bypass the 4WABS pump under the air filter, so plan on getting front brake lines for a pickup (they never had 4WABS).

Old 12-08-2002, 11:29 AM
tite4x4
Senior User
9 inch conversion

Hey bronco cam
Why do you want get rid of the ABS? It helps in NOT LOCKING the wheels in panic stops. Coming from experience the ABS works when really needed. I only wish I had the full 4 wheel ABS. On the freeway in L.A., doing 80mph, some lady cut me off and I had to floor my brake pedal. The front wheels locked up and the rear did not, because of the RABS. Ultimately ruined 2 new tires on the front, from skidding several hundred feet.

As far as doing the swap up front to a straight axleshouldn't be too bad. I've never done it myself. But, there have been postings regarding this on this sight. I don't remember where or when. I will try to find them.

The front ABS system has rings pressed into the front rotors and an ABS sensor mouted on the steering knuckles. If you accually keep the ABS and do the swap to straight axle just check to see if the rotors and steering knuckles couldmount to the straight axle.

Hope this helps

Old 12-08-2002, 11:57 AM
steve83
Post Fiend
9 inch conversion

9"s were still in use up to '86. I've seen 2 Broncos and 3 pickups with OE 9"s.

Old 12-08-2002, 12:19 PM
bronco cam
Senior User
9 inch conversion

A friend of mine has a 86 f150 with a 9 inch rear end ,he ordered it that way. I do not want to get rid of the abs but I might have to, to do a axle swap. It will be awhile before I do this swap anyway. The reason I am thinking about it is because I came across a totaled f350 that I might purchase.

Old 12-09-2002, 12:35 AM
rebelford
Senior User
9 inch conversion

Howdy all, as im not gonna post my info about the 9" swap, feel free to email me about it. I have dont the swap a few times and i can tell you just about everything you need to know to do so and what your getting your self in to. I converted to 9" from an 8.8 in my 95 Bronco. The Ford 9" is the strongest 1/2 axle to date and is most likely the easiest to work on. This is also the axle choice of most racers too, for its reliablity and parts avaliable. I currently have 32 splined shafts in to a full detroit, with 4.56 gears. there is some welding and custom fab to do if you are going for the cheapest way out(getting one from a salvage yard and rebuilding it). sure you can get a 9" from some places such as Currie and Randys Ring and Pinion, but expect to mortgage the house for it. haha well not tha much but you get the idea. With a rebuilt one, you only spend a few hundred dollars. and get the same quality as a new one. And as far as the speedo problem, a buddy and i custom designed a solution involving the 8.8 tone gear. If you want the whole break down of building one or heck, even want us to build you one, let me know. Its to long to post here on the forum, but there is absolutly no problem if you want to email me and ask me for them. Redwingtexan(No Email Addresses In Posts!) is where you can reach me.
Goodluck
Gary

Old 12-09-2002, 12:16 PM
Miketnf150
Senior User
9 inch conversion

Hey rebelford why don't you create a web page and post the converstion on the site....

Quick Reply: 9 inch conversion