6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Ford ESP - Should I extend it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 12:33 PM
Kafn8td
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford ESP - Should I extend it?

So I just got notice that the warranty will expire on my 2012 F-250 6.7L on April 30th or 75,000 which ever comes first. I only have 60,000 on it and drive it about 12,000 a year, mainly towing my toy hauler.

I haven't had any issues, has plenty of power and I like how quiet it runs. I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt to extend the coverage since I plan on keeping it. I have a call out to my dealer (who has always been great by the way), but their systems they are down and will get back to me once they are back on line.

So my question is, has anyone extended the warranty and if so any idea how much it costs. I also noticed there are several different levels available and not sure which level I should go with. Any advice?

Old 03-23-2017, 12:57 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Same boat

I am going skip the extending the ford extended warranty.
But, I would like to know what they can to extend it and what is the cost.
My 2012 has ran great and has given me know real problems. Pulls like a beast and is easy to drive. If I did another warranty I would really have to thing about a new truck. I would like the new front axle for better turning.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:25 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Curious as to the price to extend, because I thought I could only extended my extended warranty up until 3 years or 36k miles...

Old 03-23-2017, 02:23 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
When critical parts break on this truck, the 6.7L can be crazy expensive to get properly running again. I'd never own a 6.7L without an ESP plan or original warranty and a great local dealer.

I just don't want to be the FTE member with the new thread, "Why did my very expensive 6.7L truck just break and now it's going to cost 25K to get it running again." I would prefer to have the insurance plan just in case. Hope to never use it but the plan is always there. (this is the way most insurance works)

It's really up to you and your risk tolerance. Good luck!

bruce...

Old 03-23-2017, 04:44 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Bruce -- I couldn't said that any better... It used to be in 3 years I traded it in because Florida was insurance regulated and the policy I bought for ~$1300 in Alaska was ~$2650 in Florida... Flood Ford and the other online dealers that discount can't sell policies in Florida.

But I have a very very low risk tolerance to vehicles. Very nervous that a $5k bill will come and I don't have the $5k to pay it to stay on the road, and that rare $10k fuel system and $16k - $25k engine bill would totally kill me. I do it for piec of mind and usually when I buy insurance I don't get to use it, when I don't... Wish I had it... So even if the dealer pockets $1300 from me and nothing for 6 years happens, I still call that a win for me. (I have actually utilized extended warranty policies and been "ahead" in the end, but not always)

My other reason towards getting one is that when you bring it in for service, I get the first day rental car overage. It won't be a super duty, but at least I have SOMETHING to drive around in...

Of course all of this has a "value" to me and if the cost doesn't make sense I pass on it.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:13 PM
Doug913
Senior User
I just extended mine on my 2011. I already had the hpfp go out after 50k miles and I have no plans on selling the truck. If I knew I was going to get rid of it within 2 years I probably would have not renewed it. So if your keeping the truck I'd say look into extending. I did mine thru Troy Dietrich
4 yr / 36K - $1815.00. I'm only driving about 8k a year.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:24 AM
lynnmor
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug913
I just extended mine on my 2011. I already had the hpfp go out after 50k miles and I have no plans on selling the truck. If I knew I was going to get rid of it within 2 years I probably would have not renewed it. So if your keeping the truck I'd say look into extending. I did mine thru Troy Dietrich
4 yr / 36K - $1815.00. I'm only driving about 8k a year.
You were able to extend a Ford extended warranty? When checking online, I didn't find a way to do that. Is it indeed a warranty and not an after market plan?

Old 03-24-2017, 07:43 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by lynnmor
You were able to extend a Ford extended warranty? When checking online, I didn't find a way to do that. Is it indeed a warranty and not an after market plan?
On my 05 I was able to extend the esp once after the 1st original esp. That took me out to 10 years when Ford finally bought it back.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:28 AM
Kafn8td
Junior User
So this isn't an ESP from Ford they are offering one from "Easy Care". The Rep (female by the way) at the dealer I talked to was like a little greasy, and was trying all of the sales tricks. LOL

Total Care package - which covers everything from the key fob to tires, $4,967! for 3 years, 36,000 miles
Next plan was "Stated Care" $3,507. She was supposed to follow up with an email with all of the different packages available and cost, but so far she hasn't sent anything.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:33 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
For that amount of money, I couldn't justify it.

Personally, I do not like after market warranties - never had a good experience with them. Have had too many other people with bad experiences with them and some that had good. The recourse for a bad experience is tougher than with OEM and you know that OEM will pay the right rate to the dealer to fix it. Although my personal experience was 10 plus years ago, I did vow to NEVER go back to one. Just my own experience/observation.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:53 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
I'm on my 5th Superduty. ( 2000, 2003, 2006, 2011 and now 2015). I run about 100,000 miles each. My 2011 went 145,000 miles and I'm currently at 65,000 on my 2015.

I would not have used an extended warranty even if I had paid for it. I just have not had those kind of problems. These trucks are pretty dependable.

If I had paid $2000 for each extended warranty per truck or $10,000 over the past 17 years, that money would be gone. Since I've saved that money, I can justify if I have a failure that comes out of my pocket. So far I'm $10,000 ahead. My dealer gives me a Lifetime Unlimited Mileage warranty on anything Oil touches. So engine transmission and rear end are covered. Water pumps, fuel systems , electronics etc are not.

For me, I run out of mileage, long before I run out of years of ownership. For the OP who runs 12,000 miles a year. I can see, A/C, or window/mirror motors, Clock springs or who knows any of the myrid of electronics in these trucks that might fail because of age vs mileage and justify some repairs. But unless they give you enough years of protection. I personally think I'd rather self insure by saving the money and not buying the ESP.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:00 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've always purchased the Ford diesel care extended warranties and with my prior 2 trucks I came out way ahead so the warranties paid for themselves several times over.

But, I'd say that any year model from 2012-2016 is more reliable so it is a tough decision. My current truck has 150,000 on it and I haven't made any warranty claims yet.

I think it would be a good idea for you to investigate your home and aiuto insurance policies and options. Big repair bills seem to be related to bad fuel and/or vandalism nowadays. It is possible to have insurance coverage that covers you for things like bad fuel. I think it has been referred to as "catastrophic failure" coverage. Ask your agent "is my truck/engine covered if someone pours gas or water or some other contaminate into my fuel tank?"

Old 03-25-2017, 03:25 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
PH - I thought you had some items repaired that would have been warranty covered on your 2011 or was it that they broke after 120k miles?

Old 03-25-2017, 08:10 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
I had EGT 2 and EGT 4 sensors go out. ( 120k and 140K) $35-$40 parts and I still have a spare with a 13 mm wrench under the back seat.

I had the Turbo Coolant connector go out and the Turbo Oil connector. In the 130,000 mile range. Not very expensive parts, Just had to lift turbo off to replace them. I had Ford replace the Coolant connector and flush the tranny and I think my bill was $700, I had the Diesel Brothers mechanics change out the Oil connector it cost me just parts. I had them replace every gasket, seal and connector in the area and I was still less than $200

Front Bearings/Hubs went out about 105,000 and they cost $500 for new hubs.

So yes I spent $1500-$1800 or so after my 100,000 miles on small repairs. Fan belt, coolant flush, tranny flush that I doubt an extended warranty would cover.

I probably could of got my bearings fixed under the ESP. I would have had to purchased the Premium Care to get the EGT sensors covered ( and they really are not an issue with the newer trucks or the newer flash) And it looks like I'd need the Premium care also to cover gaskets and connectors.

Bottom line, I still saved money paying for these small things myself vs buying an ESP.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:36 PM
Doug913
Senior User
Originally Posted by lynnmor
It is a genuine ford premium care warrentee. I renewed thru Troy Dietrich the same people I originally purchased from. When they did repair my $9k fuel pump repair it was ford and not a third party. They do send out the ford stamped paper work. I originally contacted thru email but had to call to give cc info.

tdietrich@fd-warranty.com

For me the $1800 was a small price to pay for the piece of mind. Now if ford would have denied the repair I would have been willing to fight it to the end. However,since they have been doing all the service one would hope it never came to that, but in the end they fixed my truck.

Quick Reply: Ford ESP - Should I extend it?