Sponsored by: DP Tuner

My first diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 01:19 PM
malibusnyder
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first diesel

Hi all, my first diesel, and second 2002 f250. I picked up my 7.3 4x4 automatic CCSB last week. 202k on the odometer. I need to change the air filter but idk what to use. I don't think it's stock. The side of the air box says aFe. Anyone know what the part number for the filter is? I don't see one on the filter anywhere.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:41 PM
malibusnyder
New User
So i was doing some more digging, and i guess these are lifetime filters that are washable. Gonna order the recommended cleaning solution and oil from aFe and clean her up.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:53 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,466 Likes on 2,855 Posts
Get a dry filter if you can. The 7.3 tends to not like the oiled filters.

Based on the picture of your engine bay I didn't see anything obvious that would have raised a red flag. the only thing I would suggest is maybe look into swapping out the CAC boots and clamps for better ones that don't bleed as much oil.

Also, take the intake tube off the turbo and have a look at the blades of the wheel. They should be somewhat crisp and sharp and not jagged and beat up.

Congrats on the diesel. I bought mine about 3 years ago now and it has been one of the best purchases I have ever made.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:08 PM
malibusnyder
New User
Originally Posted by Sous
Get a dry filter if you can. The 7.3 tends to not like the oiled filters.

Based on the picture of your engine bay I didn't see anything obvious that would have raised a red flag. the only thing I would suggest is maybe look into swapping out the CAC boots and clamps for better ones that don't bleed as much oil.

Also, take the intake tube off the turbo and have a look at the blades of the wheel. They should be somewhat crisp and sharp and not jagged and beat up.

Congrats on the diesel. I bought mine about 3 years ago now and it has been one of the best purchases I have ever made.
Thanks for the info! I'll look to see if i can find a dry filter that'll fit in there. I'll definitely look into the CAC boots and clamps. I meant to look at the turbo before i purchased, but totally for got, then test drove it and it was too hot by the time i fell in love with the truck haha. I'll check it out tomorrow after work! Thanks again!

Old 03-27-2017, 04:45 PM
GEugeneS
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by malibusnyder
Thanks for the info! I'll look to see if i can find a dry filter that'll fit in there. I'll definitely look into the CAC boots and clamps. I meant to look at the turbo before i purchased, but totally for got, then test drove it and it was too hot by the time i fell in love with the truck haha. I'll check it out tomorrow after work! Thanks again!
Nice looking truck! I was a little nervous with my truck (first diesel) in 2007 when I bought it, but I sure do love it. Pulls so much better than my 460 gasser, and almost twice the mpg.

I'll add my 2 cents here: pain in the rear to check the water in the driver side battery, but don't get lazy. Also, I was told (on this forum) that the anti foam additive in the "gold" ford coolant wears out and should be replaced by 100K. If not, micro bubbles formed around the cylinders will start to wear away at the cylinder walls. I don't know how you would check to see if the coolant is old, but it might be worth checking. Actually, all the fluids should probably be replaced if they are very old.

But that's true for any purchase of a used vehicle. I'm pretty sure you will enjoy the truck, and probably be back looking at modding it in the future.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:58 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Change belt and tensioner, renew all fluids and start a really clean log so you have a benchmark.

The rest of the story will be told to you.

Enjoy !

Denny

Old 03-27-2017, 06:29 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Just a note on the coolant. The additives that were mentioned prevent silicates in conventional coolant from precipitating out and creating the "sand" that many refer to. The best remedy is to switch to an ELC type coolant that is CAT EC-1 rated. I have read recently that there is a new (to me at least) type out there now as well but I am not familiar with it. If you do elect to go that route look up Gooches flush procedure to get it done correctly.