2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Shocks, What Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 08:19 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,194 Likes on 573 Posts
Flavor of the week = shocks. Oil threads are so the beginning of March....

Old 03-20-2017, 08:27 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,680 Likes on 2,745 Posts
Let's see if this works...

Old 03-20-2017, 11:10 PM
f350ktm
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
If anyone has any illusion that the non-Rancho branded shocks are any better than their FX4 brothers, take a look at this photo. That's not Linex on that shock. 5,000 miles on my truck.

That looks very similar to my grandson's best attempt so far at roasting marsh mellows. Like me he gets distracted easily.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:39 PM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Ok, so it looks like these shocks don't like washboard, rough roads and heavy loads. Anybody had issues with them towing light (7000 pounds) with under a 1000 pounds in the bed with mainly in town and interstate driving?

Old 03-21-2017, 12:36 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassboatman
For those that say these new 2017's ride good...you guys must live on perfect asphalt roads. I have 12,000 miles on my 2017 F250 Platinum 4x4 regular box (no HD package or camper or snow plow prep), and this is the worse riding worst handling truck I have ever owned. Yes it is my first Ford and I am not a fan of a straight front axle so far. I installed a set of FOX 2.0 shocks and although it helped the constant bed chatter, now the truck feels sloppy handling especially when towing. I love the power, looks, features of my truck but the ride is unexceptable for a 75K vehicle. I am going to install a set of Sulastic Shackles to the rear leafs when they come out and if that doenst fix the rough ride, I'm going back to GMC Denali HD, my 2015 Denali HD rode 10 times better with the stock shocks.
Recently had an opportunity to ride in a new RAM 2500 Crew short bed Cummins 4x4, with coil spring rear suspension. I was amazed to realize my dually rides better.

The GM may well ride better, but most of the car mags that have reviewed the two say the Ford rides as well as the GM now...

Old 03-21-2017, 01:55 PM
EightySecond
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those pics are pretty crazy.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:07 PM
natpark
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just an update, my dealer is ordering new front shock and will put them on. I contacted the Rancho rep that is on this site and they tell me Rancho does not make the shocks and that sounds like what others are saying as well, so short answer is dealer and Ford will take care of it, and as my warranty runs out I will most likely upgrade to some Carli parts and Fox or King shocks. I am hesitant to do much to the truck till my warranty is over as it just sounds like any changes to anything the dealer can come back and say something like your adaptive steering failed because you leveled the front of the truck and changed out the shock and springs putting more stress on things. This is just not a fight I think I want right now. I love the truck otherwise and its a beast to tow with.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:46 PM
Oz97tj
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shocks can not legally be an excuse for some other part failing. By law, any part changed or modified has to be the cause of a parts failure and the burden is on the dealer to show that. Shocks would be a long shot. A lift or level (and larger tires) however could certainly be used as an excuse for various drive train related issues.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:38 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,194 Likes on 573 Posts
I agree. I'd have absolutely zero warranty worries changing shocks to a proper brand replacement.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:15 PM
reseehc_99
Tuned
Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Old 03-26-2017, 07:26 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Oz97tj
Shocks can not legally be an excuse for some other part failing. By law, any part changed or modified has to be the cause of a parts failure and the burden is on the dealer to show that. Shocks would be a long shot. A lift or level (and larger tires) however could certainly be used as an excuse for various drive train related issues.
The dealer has an out and they do not have to deny the warranty claim, they just have to say the rig is to modified for them to be able to work on.

Several years ago I too my Jeep Rubicon into the dealer because I was having fuel injection issues, one of the injectors was acting up.

Jeep was fully under warranty, but dealer stated tot he Zone Rep that the Jeep was to modified for them to work on...

Here is the Mod, different front bumper and front fenders, not sure wha that has to do with fuel injectors, but that was the dealers answer and the Zone Rep said they cannot overrule...

Old 03-26-2017, 08:09 PM
Oz97tj
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's when you go to a different dealer. I had a similar issue. Throw out bearing in my JK went bad. Was a known issue of the Era. Was replaced around 12k miles and started having issues again at around 30k. Dealer tried to say it was caused by my lift and tires and bumpers and everything else he could think of. If you know anything about what the throw out bearing does, that's complete ****. Went to a different dealer and had no problem. I ended up replacing it again another 10k miles later myself as its a cheap part but lots of work. I sold it shortly after for a JKU.

On the other hand, technically that's a winnable lawsuit all day long. The laws are clear on warranties and modifications. The mod has to cause the failure and the burden is on the manufacturer to prove. However, it isn't worth the time and hassle as you won't get compensated monetarily. You'll only get your vehicle fixed, but months or years later and they know this.

Even still, I've never heard of something as silly as shocks getting warranty coverage denied.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:24 AM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
The dealer has an out and they do not have to deny the warranty claim, they just have to say the rig is to modified for them to be able to work on.

Several years ago I too my Jeep Rubicon into the dealer because I was having fuel injection issues, one of the injectors was acting up.

Jeep was fully under warranty, but dealer stated tot he Zone Rep that the Jeep was to modified for them to work on...

Here is the Mod, different front bumper and front fenders, not sure wha that has to do with fuel injectors, but that was the dealers answer and the Zone Rep said they cannot overrule...

could driving the Jeep in a "vertical" fashion be the cause of fuel injector issue? lol

Old 06-06-2017, 07:25 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by LiquidSteam
could driving the Jeep in a "vertical" fashion be the cause of fuel injector issue? lol
Some dealers will use any excuse to deny warranty work. This was a 5 Star (Top) rated Jeep Dealer.

Later I got to know a guy who was a service writer there and he remembered the incident. He asked if when picked the Jeep up the next day if they took the paperwork back? I said yes. He told me that is how they developed their 5 Star rating (which comes from customers who rate the dealership). When the paperwork comes back to them because they asked then the tracking number is removed from the database, so the customer never gets a Satisfaction survey in the mail.

He told me he left because they are one of the most crooked dealers in Phoenix/Scottsdale.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:14 AM
pickerdd
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I was under my truck this weekend looking around (my first SD - I'm curious) and one of my Rancho branded shocks (I have the FX4 package) has developed an oil leak at 1300 miles. I'm putting together an order for the Fox shocks...

Quick Reply: Shocks, What Shocks?