1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

appraisal knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 08:27 AM
rodc1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
appraisal knowledge

Im new to this forum so im wondering if its been discussed in detail already. I have been restoring a 51 f1 and im wondering what can be done for upgrades with out depreciating the end value. For example of a few upgrades i have been thinking about adding:
-wilwood booster and disks in the front.
-A t5 to flatty conversion
-either the toyota steering box or mustang ii front end
-perhaps a rear end out of a 72 and under for the lower gear ratio
-maybe changing the original color from the drab "Yosemite" olive green to something more appealing like medow green
-I have already smoothed out the firewall and plan on hiding the wires and really cleaning up the engine bay
I have the cab off and am about to paint the frame. Its basically gonna be a frame off replace the rusted bolts and do some upgrades kinda resto.
Basically im wondering what can or cant be done to take away from the value of the truck before i go any further. Im really ok with leaving it bone stock too but id like safety upgrades and want to cruise at highway speeds but if it knocks 15 g off the truck ill cruise at 55. Id appreciate any feedback and tips Thx

Old 03-18-2017, 08:33 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The dark side is calling you I can hear it

Old 03-18-2017, 08:45 AM
F1 coyote
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
Upgrades done right only increase the value in my opinion. The more safety and user friendly you can put into the truck the better.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:48 AM
rodc1
New User
Haha ya. I guess i figure im smarter than Hank Ford and his engineers. I suppose the deciding factor is my greed. lol. I have no plans to hack it up just a few minor tweaks. I have a 50 1/2 ton as well that can stay original but what fun is that. I just dont want to have a conversation after i paint it that my truck is now worthless after beca. I because of a little mod. I plan on driving it every where. I guess i just need to know how far i can go without pissing off the guys that love originality.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:51 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 257 Likes on 161 Posts
Welcome to the forum. IMO, the brake upgrade would add some value.
With a T5 conversion, powered by the flathead, you probably do not have enough torque to spin a lower gear ratio in the rear. T5 should get you to legal road speeds most places.
Foreign built steering box or Mustang front end? Stock is fine if in good condition. Cheaper, more cost effective to rebuild what is there. If you must have power steering, that is another situation. Most men have no problems with manual steering in these trucks. Keep the large diameter steering wheel.
The first thing I look at in a modified vehicle is quality of work done. If the vehicle has been hacked, slammed, I look elsewhere.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:53 AM
rodc1
New User
f1coyote Thats what im hoping to hear. A guys mind starts racing when he starts a build and can be overwhelming. Ive lurked on here for years and this place is the holy grail for info on this. A lot of great trucks. Wish i had more time and money to do all the things ive seen on here.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:07 AM
rodc1
New User
raytasch Ya the truck is light enough that its no prob to turn the tires on it even at a dead stop. welder series has a really nice front end and reasonably priced to boot. i was looking at that so i can add a nice steering wheel (flaming river...etc). My steering box is loose but i have a few more kickin around. Im just at the point of no return now so should probably figure out my final plan and stick with it. Thats why im askin for help. I can never make decisions. Ill post some pictures here this weekend sometime and a build thread. Thats what i love about this site.. takes ten minutes and already have a lot of great replys. Thx again

Old 03-18-2017, 09:46 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The best advice I got was forget about resale do what you can afford and most of all what you enjoy. I put a Jag front end on my F3 so my wife could drive it. She wouldn't do it as she felt she couldn't see out rear well enough to be comfortable. Disk are good but not really necessary if you get use to the original system, it is in good working order and you are careful. The trans is a very good idea just to make it more useful and easier. I think the rear end gears are also worth it if you are using on the highway. Seat belts are without a doubt worth it. If you stay original steering tires make a difference. Radials will be a bear to parallel park or turn at slow speeds. Bias ply will feel every bump at speeds so a trade off. So if you really want to be happy figure out what works for you. The guys and gals on here are terrific but also will support anything that is safe and keeps these old rigs on the road. So welcome- post lots of pictures - you will get even more responses if you do, put your location on your heading and most of all have fun

Old 03-18-2017, 09:50 AM
rdemilt
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rodc1
raytasch Ya the truck is light enough that its no prob to turn the tires on it even at a dead stop. welder series has a really nice front end and reasonably priced to boot. i was looking at that so i can add a nice steering wheel (flaming river...etc). My steering box is loose but i have a few more kickin around. Im just at the point of no return now so should probably figure out my final plan and stick with it. Thats why im askin for help. I can never make decisions. Ill post some pictures here this weekend sometime and a build thread. Thats what i love about this site.. takes ten minutes and already have a lot of great replys. Thx again
If you are referring to Welder Joe, I think that is Helix / Hoffman, do some research and check the reviews.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:54 PM
dcavan001
Senior User
I think unless you're going to keep it bone stock and can find the right buyer you really aren't going to get that much more for an "original" truck that has thousands of cousins running around out there. I believe up here in western Canada, where there are a lot of these trucks, the more driveable it is, the more you would get for it in resale. Then it becomes all about condition, rust and paint.

Dave

Old 03-18-2017, 06:14 PM
pbsdaddy
Hotshot

Received 971 Likes on 864 Posts
My humble opinion. Do what you like, the way you like it. Absolute, bone stock rebuilds are currently running somewhere near $20,000, (give or take). GOOD customs start around $22,500 and approach $50,000 and more.
As long as you don't get too individualized, and do a good job, (or have it professionally done) you probably won't loose anything. Stay away from "slamming". It, to me, just screams ugly. And you will have reduced your potential market to about 10% of those that might be interested. Chopping and channeling fall into the same group, in my opinion. A slight lowering, (3 inches or so), can look good.
For me, I am spending a lot of time on modernization, 12 volts, better audio, modern interior. The outside will remain in a near stock appearance.
The right T-5, against you flattie can produce a much more comfortable highway ride. Manual Toyota steering can be an improvement without being obvious.
In the end, it's your truck. Unless your original intent was to flip it, build it your way.....

Old 03-18-2017, 06:39 PM
rodc1
New User
Im keepin it the original look of it. Good to hear a lot of people share my thoughts. I was hoping for these responses. Any thing that gets done will be done right and not a rush job. Ive spent a hundred hours just trying to get the fenders welded back together and looking right. They were a mess. Of course it would of taken a more experienced welder probably half the time. Ill get my pictures in in the next couple days and everyone can steer me in the right direction. Like i said ive been lurking here for a couple years and have read most of the builds from the jag installs to the big blocks. So much knowledge. It really makes a guy who has mediocre at best skill and brainpower feel confident in what he's doing. Its an awesome resource. So today i think ive decided
-Flatty to t5 conversion
-Wilwood brakes and hydraulic clutch for t5 (unless any one has a better brand)
-Ive already filled in the fuel tank hole so its getting relocated
_ not sure on the other topics yet but im slowly getting stuff crossed of the list

Old 03-18-2017, 07:48 PM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas
Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
There are so many posts here with the same question and always a bunch of great answers and mixed answers.
I would say build it to your expectations of what you see in the build and than if you decide to sell, sell it and know that you enjoyed the build and are ready to move on.
Back to your question, I am not sure there is a specific answer to what you can do to help in the resale of a vehicle for cost and resale stability, because everybodies opinion will be a little different in how they approach the question.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:49 PM
rodc1
New User
I uploaded some photos to my album of the build if any one is curious. I was having some issues getting them in order. ill figure this site out eventually with any luck.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:03 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
If you are building your truck with an eye for resale you are in the wrong "hobby". Most people that restore vehicles never get out of them what they put into them just on parts alone. And if you are going to farm the work (labor) out then you better have deep pockets. I would suggest that you concentrate on building a vehicle that you will enjoy driving. The mods that you have listed seem to be pretty good. Your project plsn will probably change as you go forward particularly as you read and see what others have done here on FTE. These guys are a great bunch of enablers.