1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Lokar shifter

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 11:19 AM
edzakory
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just finished replacing the column shift which was cable operated to a new Lokar floor mounted shifter. However, I have a TH350 transmission.

The Lokar kit had three extension arms which allow for different mount places of the floor of the cab. I opted for the above floor mount version which allows you to install the floor shifter without transmission removal; I did not want to remove the transmission or the carpeting to remove the transmission floor cover.

Knowing where to cut the hole in the floor was problematic so I ended up removing the carpeting and transmission cover. I have a bench seat and was able to pick a spot that allowed for complete movement through the gear without hitting the bench seat or having to buy the bent shift arm version. I was able to align everything from above and was able to check all gear movements without binding. I had to buy the boot and mounting plate for an additional $50.

I already had a control unit and dash display which displays the gears. I was able to use it with the Lokar kit. Lokar sells different gear display versions and they are pricey at @ $200.

Lokar does not allow much distributor price variance. There are some minor deals on eBay but I ended up buying it through Amazon due to their outstanding customer service and return policy.

Last edited by edzakory; 03-16-2017 at 11:41 AM. Reason: above floor not below; corrected error
Old 03-16-2017, 11:33 AM
Outlaw56
Posting Guru
Thanks Ed, I will check Amazon out when I'm ready.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:44 AM
1956_F100
Elder User
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I've looked briefly at Lokar shifters. Mostly, because that looks like my best option as well. I'd say, if you have one that attaches to the trans then rod linkage is fine. If you have one that attaches to the floor of the cab then cable linkage is needed.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:52 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
I used the threaded rod also with my 4R70W. I didn't have to heat it to bend it. Used 2 bends like yamagrant. Had to shorten it when I moved the shifter location after I got the cab on. Easy enough to do.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:05 PM
Outlaw56
Posting Guru
I see there are lots of options (including Dakota Digital Dash Guage) that offer shift indicators. That's a nice feature! I may have missed it, but has anyone used the Lokar "Tail Mount Shifters" opposed to the over the hump versions in the photos above?

Old 03-16-2017, 12:10 PM
filthy6
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Outlaw56
Nice job on the photos. Clearance looks good. Is the engine mounted in its final resting place and have you set the pinion angle in the rear end?
YES and Yes. That was a long time ago and everything has moved and settled. I'm reluctant to check the angle again but hopeful that I can make the correction at the rear axle if needed.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:32 PM
RingoRaintree
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Filthy6- Yep, Thats the one.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:36 PM
RingoRaintree
Freshman User
Originally Posted by filthy6

Yamagrant and Ringo..Can you confirm that this is the model you used. More than one of their units uses the threaded rod. Also, do you remember how far forward on the mount you had to locate the shifter. I think if you go too far forward you have to buy more parts and it uses an additional threaded rod.Matt
That's the one! And the photo from Yamagrant is exactly how I bent the rod

Old 03-16-2017, 08:21 PM
filthy6
Elder User
Yamagrant... Can you measure from the back of the mount, where it bolts into the tail shaft, to the back opening of the transmission tunnel? I am farther back than you and will have to use your measurements to adjust. From your installation experience and the instructions can you tell how far forward YOU could move YOUR shifter if you needed to? I think too far forward qualifies as a " bell housing mount " and requires more parts...Thanks

Last edited by filthy6; 03-16-2017 at 08:22 PM. Reason: spelling and puctuation
Old 03-22-2017, 01:23 AM
rannaska
Mountain Pass
I have recently installed a lokar shifter like what fifty 6 posted on a C-6.
The shifter hits the factory bench seat.
I'm considering doing a small angle ( 2 to 3 Degrees ) bend in the shifter just behind the first (only) bend to have the shifter clear the seat. In the park position I'm about 12 inches from the dash.

Has any one bent the shifter before?

Old 03-22-2017, 06:24 AM
avf100
Fleet Mechanic
Received 400 Likes on 188 Posts
Originally Posted by rannaska
I'm considering doing a small angle ( 2 to 3 Degrees ) bend in the shifter just behind the first (only) bend to have the shifter clear the seat. In the park position I'm about 12 inches from the dash.

Did you adjust the tilt angle of the shifter? There is a "U" slot at the bottom of the shift lever bracket that allows you to adjust it. I tilted mine towards the dash for better seat clearance.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:48 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Wouldn't it be easier to just move it forward?

Old 03-22-2017, 09:09 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by avf100
Did you adjust the tilt angle of the shifter? There is a "U" slot at the bottom of the shift lever bracket that allows you to adjust it. I tilted mine towards the dash for better seat clearance.
I think I did this 3 or more times the first time it was hitting the dash

Old 03-22-2017, 10:59 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by filthy6
Yamagrant... Can you measure from the back of the mount, where it bolts into the tail shaft, to the back opening of the transmission tunnel? I am farther back than you and will have to use your measurements to adjust. From your installation experience and the instructions can you tell how far forward YOU could move YOUR shifter if you needed to? I think too far forward qualifies as a " bell housing mount " and requires more parts...Thanks
I can't measure for a while. My truck is in storage. I'll try to get at it this weekend.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:58 PM
filthy6
Elder User

I have not....YET. How tall is your shifter? Have you looked into the double bend or the bench bend shifter?

Quick Reply: Lokar shifter