Headlight issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 08:19 PM
gvagolf
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight issue

Hello

I installed new headlights today and the headlight bulbs are not lighting. When I turn the headlight's on the high beam indicator remains lit no matter if the high beams are on or not. I should note that this style headlight has a separate bulb for low and high beams. I am skeptical that all four headlight bulbs are bad. Is it possible the wiring for the connector is not correct?

Has anyone had this issue before?

Thank you.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:43 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need some more information. What headlights, and year of your truck? No EX has separate high and low bulbs. What did the manufacture give you for wiring? are they supposed to be plug and play? I had some like that and they need to be wired separately from your current plug.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:27 AM
gvagolf
Junior User
They are from Spyderauto hoping this link will work.

http://www.spyderauto.com/m/chain.html#PageMakeModelYear

They are supposed to be plug and play. On the back of the light there is one headlight plug that splits into the two bulbs.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:55 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 874 Likes on 726 Posts
The link is useless, it's not what is needed. You'd need to provide the specific make and model/part number of what you bought.

You still need to identify YOUR vehicle, we are not able to read your mind.

FWIW, you should contact the manufacturer or seller of the product you bought. It's THEIR responsibility to support their product.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:09 AM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Well I just looked up the ones for my truck and they are what I used to have or very similar. The previous owner had them on there, but they were not plug and play. They had wires jumpered from the OEM harness to the harness on those lights. Could be my browser at work, but I do not see where they are plug and play. I did find this from another website..."Designed to be an exact replacement for your factory lights, however some electrical wiring work may be required; most lights come with detailed installation instructions"

Old 03-12-2017, 02:09 PM
gvagolf
Junior User
I have a 2000 Excursion limited diesel. The replacement headlights are Spyder Sonic
sku 5078452
part # pro-yd-ff25099-1p-g2-bsm

they are designedto be plug plug and play. The wiring refers to the angel eyes and led corner markers. I wired those and they work great.

I am am about to take one headlight out to show a picture of the back connectors. Here is a picture of them from the front.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:28 PM
gvagolf
Junior User
I have attached a photo of the rear of the light. You can hopefully see the blue connector. There are four wires coming from that connector. 2 black in the middle, a red on one side and a blue on the other side. One black wire goes to each of the two bulbs. One bulb is joined with the red and the other bulb is joined by the blue.

When the headlight is connected the dashboard high beam indicator is always lit whether or not high beams are on.

When the headlight is disconnected the high beam dash indicator operates properly.

The new lights have an H1 bulb for the high beam and a second H1 bulb for the low beam.

Greg

Old 03-12-2017, 02:46 PM
Futurerider103
Junior User
Unplug the headlights and take a multi meter or a test light test the factory headlight connection for voltage. There should be 1 ground and 2 for voltage.
If you look at the new headlights you will see 2 wires in the middle those are ground then you see 1 red and 1 blue. Those will be the positives for the high and low beams

1. Check your fuses
2. Test the factory headlight harness with low beam first and see which is the power for low then on the same plug see which is the power for high.
3. Take the ohm meter and measure if the 2 wires on the new light plug that aren't spliced together have any resistance. They should say OL. Do this for both new light harnesses and report back.

theoretically the positives will be on the outsides of the oem plug just like they are on the aftermarket one

Old 03-12-2017, 02:47 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Well two suggestions. Disconnect one headlight at a time and see if they will work, maybe one is bad. The other is maybe a headlight bulb is shorted causing the problem...

Old 03-12-2017, 02:57 PM
Futurerider103
Junior User
I'm willing to bet one of the aftermarket headlight harnesses when you ohm will show resistance and they shouldnt except the 2 black wires to each other

Old 03-12-2017, 03:13 PM
gvagolf
Junior User
I checked the fuses and they are fine.

I checked the factory connector with with lights on. With the locking connector facing up the low beam was on the right side. I tested bit low and high beams and have just under 12 volts on each (when high beams on).

I tested with the ohm meter. This is new for me so I may have screwed it up. I set the ohm meter to 200 ohms and put the black test probe on the center and the red on the left most connected. I got a reading of 1.0 that slowly drops to .8.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:17 PM
Futurerider103
Junior User
Setting the ohm meter doesn't matter what selection as long as it's ohms.
The red and blue wires should read OL when you have one test lead on the red and the other on the blue.
Then do that same test with 1 on the grounds and the other on the blue then do the same on the red.

****EDIT***
THE BLUE TO BLACK OR RED TO BLACK WILL READ OHMS.
Sorry was typing while watching my kids swim

Old 03-12-2017, 03:45 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 874 Likes on 726 Posts
Go inspect VERY CLOSELY the center (ground) conductors and pin for that add-on harness.

Your symptom is of an open ground circuit fr the main LED bulbs and the bulb in the cluster is providing the alternate path and getting lit.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:17 PM
gvagolf
Junior User
Thank you all. I ran a lead straight from the battery to the headlights and they worked. I inspected the connector on the car side and it looked fairly cruddy. I took a small flat head screwdriver and cleans out /roughed up the contact areas. Reconnected the lights and they now work.

Thanks again.
Greg

Old 03-12-2017, 04:30 PM
Futurerider103
Junior User
Good deal. I would buy some battery terminal cleaner and clean out that socket. It can end up being a much bigger problem if you don't neutralize the corrosion.

Quick Reply: Headlight issue