2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Morimoto Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 10:01 AM
sawyer_dowell_3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Morimoto Fog Lights

Has anyone switched out their fog light to these? The fogs on these new trucks aren't bad but I was wondering if these could be better...and they would keep the stock look of the truck

2017 F250 & F350 Morimoto XB LED Replacement Projector Fog Lights 50373-F250

Old 03-09-2017, 05:57 PM
weedwacker4242
Senior User
I have ordered some and they are arriving tomorrow...then I just need the truck to get here! Hopefully next week.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:19 PM
sawyer_dowell_3
Junior User
Originally Posted by weedwacker4242
I have ordered some and they are arriving tomorrow...then I just need the truck to get here! Hopefully next week.
nice! Post some pics up when you get it! I'll be looking forward to hearing your comments on the lights.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:12 PM
weedwacker4242
Senior User
So, I installed these lights yesterday. Honestly, I didn't find anything really wrong with the OEM fog lights, but I had a gift card to blow and thought this looked like a fun little project. I pretty much followed the Stage 3 Motorsports video tutorial. Stage 3's 2017 F250 Super Duty Project Truck Step One Mind you, I don't have all the air tools, etc that they have. I pretty much made due with a socket set, short and stubby flathead screwdriver, 90 degree adapter for my power screwdriver/drill, and a work light. I was also able to do the project with the wheels and tires still in place and the truck on the ground. Just crank the wheel TOWARD the direction of the side you are working on. First light took about 30 minutes, the second about 15 minutes.

I did take before pics at night to compare the before and after, but it's raining tonight and i tried to take pics, but the rain on the lights and falling was distorting the pictures quite a bit. I also installed them during the daylight hours so I am finding that I need to raise the level of the left side a bit to even them out and go back to correct/stock height...which means tearing down through the rubber mat and then the plate again.

First, although very premature, impressions are that I'm not overly impressed. The rain may be playing tricks on me, but looking head on into the lights they don't seem as bright or necessarily as crisp. Again, I'm reserving judgment until its dry. I haven't driven with them either, but should get a grasp of that tomorrow morning on the way to work.

Hopefully get you pics tomorrow night and a little more of a review.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:33 PM
sawyer_dowell_3
Junior User
Originally Posted by weedwacker4242
So, I installed these lights yesterday. Honestly, I didn't find anything really wrong with the OEM fog lights, but I had a gift card to blow and thought this looked like a fun little project. I pretty much followed the Stage 3 Motorsports video tutorial. Stage 3's 2017 F250 Super Duty Project Truck Step One Mind you, I don't have all the air tools, etc that they have. I pretty much made due with a socket set, short and stubby flathead screwdriver, 90 degree adapter for my power screwdriver/drill, and a work light. I was also able to do the project with the wheels and tires still in place and the truck on the ground. Just crank the wheel TOWARD the direction of the side you are working on. First light took about 30 minutes, the second about 15 minutes.

I did take before pics at night to compare the before and after, but it's raining tonight and i tried to take pics, but the rain on the lights and falling was distorting the pictures quite a bit. I also installed them during the daylight hours so I am finding that I need to raise the level of the left side a bit to even them out and go back to correct/stock height...which means tearing down through the rubber mat and then the plate again.

First, although very premature, impressions are that I'm not overly impressed. The rain may be playing tricks on me, but looking head on into the lights they don't seem as bright or necessarily as crisp. Again, I'm reserving judgment until its dry. I haven't driven with them either, but should get a grasp of that tomorrow morning on the way to work.

Hopefully get you pics tomorrow night and a little more of a review.
Thanks for the review! kinda sucks that they're not much of a improvement from what you can tell... look forward to some pics though!

Old 04-03-2017, 09:35 PM
weedwacker4242
Senior User
Ok, I was able to get some better pictures. I think the lights are a little better than I thought, but still not leaps and bounds better at all. They appear better than last night which I attribute to the rain and water in the air and on the lenses. I re-watched the video and they seem to be making a comparison between the OEM Halogen lights and the Morimotos. In that case, I think this would be a vast improvement. But as far as I can tell, my fog lights on my F250 Platinum appear to be LEDs (although they look to be the same as the ones in the video). Maybe that's why I'm not "blown away" by the difference. I did measure the upper line of the lights cast on the wall from 25' away for aiming when the OEMs were installed and approximated the Morimotos to the same line for the upper level of the lights. Definitely do not see the same light cast downward in front of the truck after install.

As a funny aside, the technician in the video puts the metal plate back improperly in his reassembly. On the engine side, the plate is supposed to be placed BEHIND the bracket. I'm just being a jerk, but I almost made the same mistake.

OEM Lights

Morimoto XB LED Lights

OEM Lights. Should have turned on parking lights instead of full in retrospect. But look at the crisp line on the driveway.

OEM Lights. Closer view.

Morimoto lights. Note the ground lighting. It might be that these are a narrower band and need to be angled lower in comparison to OEM?

Morimoto closer view.

IMO, I don't think these are a great improvement. Maybe similar at best. If I have time this weekend, I think I will pop one of the Morimoto lights out and re-insert an OEM light and then take pics. Will also try to re-create the line of the light as in the OEM setup with both lights. I had planned to do that the first time, but ended up installing in the daytime and needed to get the project complete. Also, it was raining on the way to work this morning so didn't get much of an on road effect of the lights.

Wonder what the return policy is with Stage 3 Motor Sports????

Sorry for my amateur review. I'm sure there is probably a better way to objectively compare them. I'm open for suggestions, time permitting.

Ryan