1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Mid Fifty ABS Headliner has anyone used this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 07:45 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
The problem that I found with ABS shaping is that there is a "sweet spot" when the plastic is warm enough to move but not so warm that it loses it's shape completely. To heat the ABS evenly to achieve this sweet spot across a large area is next to impossible, at least with the heat gun I was using...I even bought a new gun just like the upholstery shop uses. This stuff works great as a truck bed mat...better than Rhino Lining.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:58 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by petemcl
If the cab was upside down it might be easier?
This is my plan

F1 cab had rotted A pillar from spot light
Heat gun to form the abs I too have tried to form abs and pvc with a heat gun with the same experience as Charlie very hard to find the right temperature. Or maybe use the roof

Old 03-20-2017, 09:10 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by schoo
This is my plan. Heat gun to form the abs I too have tried to form abs and pvc with a heat gun with the same experience as Charlie very hard to find the right temperature. Or maybe use the roof
Yes, that is what I was thinking too. Let us know how it works.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:36 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
l am a long time from that point on my truck

Old 03-20-2017, 10:25 AM
emay
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would not heat the liner. You will end up creating more problems and its most times unknowingly. Just a little heat in the right spot can net an unwanted sag in the worst place possible.

While they are hard to get in, once you have done the test fit, removed for covering and then come back to final install - all the little tweaks are figured out. Even with a set of extra hands plan on 30 minutes to set it in just because of caution to the paint on the pillers and along the upper door line.

This is a black suede job, I did not cover myself - wanted it to hold forever and thus I paid on that part and simply did the grunt work:

Name:  F100headliner1of1_zpsd891958a.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  91.9 KB

Old 03-20-2017, 05:23 PM
Don Vito
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone see a problem with taking off the clips and instead using chrome upholstery screws ? I tried fitting it but it is a nightmare with the clips, and I imagine once I have it upholstered it'll be harder to get into place seems like the upholstery screws idea is a no brainer? any thoughts.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:07 AM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by schoo
gangstakr made his a copy of the hood 61-66 slick I don't know if it is formed or sculptured

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...d=187067&.jpg=
That is really cool, Getting sidetracked though, I would like to incorporate an over head console for neat stuff.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:09 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
A friend had a console fabricated from aluminum...I was really disappointed that he had it upholstered because it covered up the really nice workmanship. Anyway, here is the console and headliner in his truck. If the colors look familiar, this is the same truck that I have posted photos of the seat. Now that I am thinking about it I may have to go over to the shop that did this upholstery and ask them how they did this headliner...that was the guy who told me how to heat the ABS. I notice on this headliner that there is no smooth transition in the curves...maybe that heat bending wasn't as doable as he put on.

Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2017, 12:05 AM
BTclassics
Senior User
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
I came across a video where they used an EVA foam mat to make three dimensional molded props/ costumes. I immediately thought of its headliner potential. It is light weight, cuts with razor, glues with contact cement, holds its shape after forming with a heat gun, and apparently can seal/ paint. I've never worked foam before. I know CharlieLed mentioned trying expanding foam and das54 mentioned 1.5 inch memory foam, but would .50 inch EVA be a viable product? Any downsides?

Old 05-02-2017, 08:38 AM
Justboy
More Turbo
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
It seems like a good option to me but it needs somebody to have a go and see what it's like trying to shape a big surface area.
I have seen another method when they were doing Chip Foose's F100 on Overhaulin' years ago. I think Midfifty do the kit and it uses a wire frame to suspend the fabric kind of like a tent. No idea what they are like to do but I've never heard it mentioned on here.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:46 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by BTclassics
I came across a video where they used an EVA foam mat to make three dimensional molded props/ costumes.
Can you post that link BT?

Old 05-02-2017, 09:26 AM
Don Vito
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got mine installed with no problem, got rid of the clips and used upholstery screws. Unless you are going to have an upholstery shop build and install the headliner I'd do the ABS all day long! Once upholstered it went in in less than an hours and looks great.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:50 AM
Justboy
More Turbo
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I think one of the problems with the ABS and cardboard is paying carriage on it if you live outside the States.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:36 AM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've stalled out on my idea using memory foam. My idea was to use contact cement and glue it directly to the sheet metal but I'm uncertain where the due point will be and how corrosive is the combination of moisture and the foam. the PO of my truck used regular foam rubber in some of the roof area's and the channel / pinch seam above the rear window was badly rusted (from the inside). And enough 2" memory foam is almost $100 so might as well buy the ABS liner.

maybe I should take a road trip to ElCajon. I wonder what Charley's friend paid for that gray headliner but without the console?

Old 05-02-2017, 08:03 PM
BTclassics
Senior User
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
So this is the one I stumbled across - "Working with EVA Foam for Beginners":
I wanted to know how well it would bend and keep its shape - "How to Heat Form foam":

There are a ton of videos on Youtube. I watched a few more on shaping, gluing, filling and painting. I was thinking of using the interlocking foam tiles so you could work in one section at a time and join them together at the end. Then I'd cover with headliner material. Walmart has a 25 sq. ft. pack for about $11.

Don Vito - Besides the cost/shipping issue, I'm concerned whether the ABS one will work because my top has been heavily chopped/ sectioned. Plus, the factory roof braces are gone. I've never worked with a truck headliner or a chopped vehicle before so it is a learning process.

das54 - My roof and back cab wall have a foil-lined butyl product that is supposed to prevent corrosion. The closed cell foam over it is waterproof. This combination should help instead of putting foam directly on metal. I was wondering cost of that headliner/ console build as well - it looks beautiful!

Quick Reply: Mid Fifty ABS Headliner has anyone used this?