1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Mid Fifty ABS Headliner has anyone used this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 09:50 AM
Don Vito
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mid Fifty ABS Headliner has anyone used this?

About to order one of these but does anyone have any experience with them or a pic of what one looks like installed? Sounds easy enough to install and plan on covering with leather or vinyl, but really would like to see if anyone has and pros or cons.
Don

Old 03-09-2017, 10:17 AM
The Outlaw
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have one and have put it in. Twice. And I would suggest you do the same.

It looks great and fits very well. It is NOT easy to put in though. I read a suggestion of putting in before covering it and making it nice looking. This way you learn some of the tricks of getting it in and don't ruin your new leather or vinyl.

I used alcantara on mine. I had to redo one half of it though. I had a half can of 3m heavy duty spray adhesive and half way through ran out and switched to the next level down of the 3m product. Both were listed as permanent. Can't recall the numbers now. Sorry. But the half that I did with the super heavy duty stuff stayed just fine. The second half detached and I needed to pull it off and redo it.

I'll be in my cab cleaning it out getting ready to weld up a few holes in the firewall later today. I'll take a few pics and post them up.

But I do recommend it as the roof liner solution. But trust me get a friend who you work well with to help. It was one of the most frustrating things I've done to my truck. LOL

Old 03-09-2017, 11:30 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Headliner

I can't comment on the Aftermarket headliner kit, but have read many posts on the difficulties in installing it.

I used A 5 mil PVC product called Komatex that I bought 4' x 8' sheet for $ 38.00. I made a template for the large centre section, then formed the side panels afterward. I used heat gun to form it to contour of cab. I covered the material with vinyl. You can see the uncovered material behind the seat and under the window. Also used it on interior of firewall.

I could have used an extra set of hands to install it. Used sound deadner and foil insulation behind it.

However you go, I know it will look great. Good luck.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:37 PM
89gtstang
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same response. Biggest pain in the A$$ to put in, especially by your self. I put some hard cardboard in the front clips to help slide them into the front part of the cab roof and then did the sides. Still was a pain. Then like mentioned I removed covered with Headliner material from a local fabric store (actually labeled auto headliner). Used some 3M spray on glue and yes get two cans! It's only been about a year and just sitting in the garage but so far still sticking.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:53 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
I put one in this morning and have to go out to do some more cursing this afternoon, so far the wife and I are still talking to each other but the day is not over...

Old 03-09-2017, 01:16 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
I bought one but not with the intention to install it in a truck. I have a 56 roof section that I removed from a cab that was otherwise junk. I am going to lay the roof over flat, pour in some expanding foam, and set the ABS headliner on top to form a mold for the foam. If all works as planned what I will end up with is a foam "pillow" that will be a perfect fit for the roof which has the underside shaped as a headliner. Once the foam insert is made all that is needed is to upholster the underside and use some contact cement to hold it to the underside of the roof. Instant headliner, thermal insulation, and sound absorber all in one easy to install item.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:21 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
what kind of expanding foam charlie

Old 03-09-2017, 01:38 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
I went to a workshop up in N. Hollywood a few years back, they do a lot of movie props there and use a number of products from a company named Smooth-On. I found that there are a number of grades of expanding foam all the way from down pillow soft to machinable hard. I intend to experiment with different grades till I get the one that works the best. All the foams are "self-skinning" which means that the outer surface is very smooth, not porous like it would be if you sliced it open. I want it to be flexible enough to bend it when you are installing it but firm enough to hold it's shape under the upholstery material. This is another one of those projects that is sitting in the queue patiently awaiting it's turn.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:34 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
gangstakr made his a copy of the hood 61-66 slick I don't know if it is formed or sculptured

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...d=187067&.jpg=

Old 03-09-2017, 03:39 PM
RingoRaintree
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i wrestled with it for 2 hours and still didn't get it clipped in. Next day tried again for an hour and couldn't get it to clip onto the pinch welds. 2 of the clips popped off! Said the hell with it, popped off the rest of the clips in a rage, put the Duo-Lock pieces on the center brace and popped it into place being held just by the Duo-lock. Fits great! No sag or spaces along the edge. If it does sag with time I'll use finishing screws or more Duo-lock but I will be damned if i will EVER put those damn clips back on! 3 hours I'll never get back and sore hands for a week. The side pieces did OK with the clips.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:06 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by schoo
gangstakr made his a copy of the hood 61-66 slick I don't know if it is formed or sculptured

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...d=187067&.jpg=
That is a fairly simple technique...cut out the raised section that you want from 1/4 inch (or thicker) foam and glue it to the foam insert prior to covering it with the fabric. It takes a bit of work/skill to get enough glue in and around the edges so that the design stays crisp and the fabric does not separate.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:07 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by RingoRaintree
i wrestled with it for 2 hours and still didn't get it clipped in. Next day tried again for an hour and couldn't get it to clip onto the pinch welds. 2 of the clips popped off! Said the hell with it, popped off the rest of the clips in a rage, put the Duo-Lock pieces on the center brace and popped it into place being held just by the Duo-lock. Fits great! No sag or spaces along the edge. If it does sag with time I'll use finishing screws or more Duo-lock but I will be damned if i will EVER put those damn clips back on! 3 hours I'll never get back and sore hands for a week. The side pieces did OK with the clips.
man I had the same day different project

Old 03-09-2017, 05:32 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Well I went back out this afternoon with the second attempt , only managed to get 2 of the clips over the pinch weld on the drivers side and the 2 on either side above the door frames. It doesn't fit 100% but I had enough of fighting it so called it good enough. Will take some pictures tomorrow and let the blue haze in the air a chance to clear. I'm beginning to understand why Rod Doors went out of business, likely because of all the obscene phone calls...lol

Old 03-09-2017, 07:29 PM
BTclassics
Senior User
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Good post! I've been debating about using the ABS Headliner as well. However, I don't know how well it would work for a chopped top. It has additional roof bracing that may interfere with the clips. Hard to spending over $300 for something that may or may not work!

Old 03-09-2017, 11:17 PM
DadOh1
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There must be something (anti-)magical about installing headliners. I only did a stock 'cardboard' one on mine ('54) and after using all the tips and tricks that the internet and FTE could provide, still ended up with 300 new cuss words learned in 3 hours, my wife not speaking to me, and a headliner more wrinkled than 47 prunes.

So, armed with that awesome experience, I foolishly helped a friend do an ABS one on his truck....I learned many more curses, some in another language, and discovered that the ABS headliner can actually be broken with screaming rage-punches!

"Installing a headliner" is now on my list of "Things I Will Never Ever Ever Do Again!"

Jerry

Quick Reply: Mid Fifty ABS Headliner has anyone used this?