LT tires on fifth wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 02:35 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LT tires on fifth wheel

Anybody else running commercial rated LT tires on their trailers?

I did run the stock ST tires that came with two separate trailers that I've owned, one tow behind trailer and one fifth wheel trailer. On the fifth wheel trailer I currently have, I actually had it long enough for the stock ST tires to reach the age recommended for replacement at the 6 year mark. After reading all of the horror stories about Chinese ST tires exploding and damaging RVs, I broke down and invested in some load range E Michelin XPS Ribs commercial rated tires. The ST tires I took off looked like the sidewalls were beginning to show some fatigue, i.e. cracking and wobbly sidewall surfaces. The tread was pretty good, but were starting to do a little uneven cupping in spots.

Now that my Michelin tires have been on the trailer for almost 6 years now (actually closer to 5 so far), I was preparing to start shopping for new tires, though not really looking forward to purchasing Michelins again as they are quite pricy. I'm now retired so that investment is not as easy as it once was. Being that my current Michelin XPS Ribs are looking pretty darned good still, and the fact that the tread is still so deep and true, I was hesitant to replace them at the customary recommended interval of 6 years.

I called Michelin and explained my application for their tires on my fifth wheel and how good they looked, asking about how often they should be replaced. The rep told me that they are warrantied for 6 years, but that as long as I have them inspected annually after the 6 year mark that Michelin recommends a 10 year replacement. WOW! That was great news. I suppose the upgrade to these commercial LTs was worth the money!

Just wondering if anyone else has done the upgrade to LTs.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:02 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
I have Goodyear G614s on mine and will never run ST tires again. I've had the 614a on my last 3 campers without any problems. If the cost of the GY keep rising, I will put the Sailun S637 tires on this one then. They are the ONLY "ST" tire I will put on my trailer. I know several who are running them, most at my recommendation, and love them. The Sailuns started out not having the "ST" stamp on the tire, as I have friends with the tires without it, but it is the same tire. You can get them at various tire dealers for around $150 each which is half the cost of the 614s, which is why people are going with them now. So far, they have a great track record.
Now, what Sailun will not do is pay for your trailer the way that GY will IF you have a blowout and it damages your trailer!!!
Along these lines, Goodyear just launched an ALL AMERICAN MADE tire called the Endurance line. They are D and E rated ST tires that are for 5ers. They have an increased weight capacity per tire AND an new speed rating "N" to keep you at highway speeds without worrying about the tires coming apart. They are available now at Tredit Tire. Hope this helps.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:15 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Thanks for the tip on the American made Good Year ST tires. Awesome! Sounds like they might be a winner. Confidence in my Michelins is high, but my pocket book has become limited lately, or at least more conservatively opened these days. Like you, I will avoid Chinese ST tires at all cost, however.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:44 PM
bbronco66
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have run Michelin XPS Ribs on my last two 5th wheels with no issue. They are expensive compared to the ST tires, but the piece of mind while towing is well worth it.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:56 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
I agree. The feeling of security while heading down the road on vacation is priceless. Not to mention that while on vacation, the last thing I want to do is mess with broken trailers, broken tow vehicles and tire issues. I value my uninterrupted vacation enjoyment to the point where I have also invested in tire pressure monitors for both truck and trailer. My hope is that if there every should be a problem with my tires I will have time to get to a safe place to deal with it, rather than finding myself on a tight shoulder or center divider on a busy interstate at rush hour, and the side of my trailer blown apart from a disintegrating tire.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:09 PM
blkout50
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have Michelin XPS Ribs on my current 5th Wheel also. Very happy with them. Thanks for information on annual inspections after 6yrs an replacement at 10yrs.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:15 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
You betcha. Not sure if the inspection would entail removing the tire and looking at the interior or not, but that's what I'm going to do. Got my tires at Costco so I'll just tell them what the Rep from Michelin said and I'm sure they'll stand behind the tires and do the inspection for me.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:18 PM
WK15
More Turbo
Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts
Running BF Goodrich Commericals. Love them.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:32 PM
brickman
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Baby Got New Shoes!

Just put a set of these on today. 4 new Bridgestone Duravis 500HD's. Now I have to get some decent weather to give her a bath

Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2017, 08:59 PM
cyncwby
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow those are REALLY close together....... anywho I put Sailun S637's on our 5th wheel right after we bought it '13. These tires are BEASTS and they don't cost a months wages. You can find them on ebay for about $190 or so. Best tire I've ever had on a trailer and I swear the sidewall is 1" thick ........at least.

Attached Images   
Old 03-08-2017, 10:16 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by brickman
Just put a set of these on today. 4 new Bridgestone Duravis 500HD's. Now I have to get some decent weather to give her a bath

Those tires are REALLY CLOSE, how much size difference was there between the stockers and those new Duravis 500HDs?

Originally Posted by cyncwby
Wow those are REALLY close together....... anywho I put Sailun S637's on our 5th wheel right after we bought it '13. These tires are BEASTS and they don't cost a months wages. You can find them on ebay for about $190 or so. Best tire I've ever had on a trailer and I swear the sidewall is 1" thick ........at least.

I just mounted new Sailun S637s on our TT (with the same rims as you have), my local tire guy could not get them through any of the 7 regional distributors he deals with so I found them online. ST235/80R16 LRG 14 PR Sailun S637 Radial Trailer Tire listed for $165 each and my wife found a 16% coupon code that brought them down to $138.60 per with free shipping. All 5 have late Nov '16 build dates. We will be giving them their maiden voyage on Friday, Philly to Nashville.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:30 AM
brickman
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
That was my concern too but there is just under an inch gap between them, the tire guys said they were good, but I might look into seeing if there is someway of spreading the axles a bit. The Duravis ran $170 cdn each. The size is one up from the old tires which were 235/80r16 ST these are 235/85r16 LT I didn't want to go wider with them as there isn't a lot of room in the wheelwells for fatter tires.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:51 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I've been using General Grabbers on the current and last 5er with no problems to date since I couldn't afford the usual Michelin or Bridgestone rib tires. The last set had only about 10K miles while the current set has about 18K including the desert temps of the West. Sailun's weren't as widely accepted tire as they have become but would probably be my first choice now if my wheels are rated for 110 psig. I'll not be a guinea pig for US made Goodyear's until they have proven their worth over several years

Old 03-09-2017, 10:15 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,502 Likes on 1,307 Posts
I read these threads about guys upgrading to a higher load carrying capacity tire which also at times mean going from 80 psi to 110 psi pressure. How do you tell if the aluminum rim can take the larger pressure or are you just putting them on because someone said it will handle it.

I have Michelin xps on the rig but after scaling the rig 2 days ago I'm over by 572# on the trailer tires. The xps's are rated for 3042# × 4= 12,168#. Scale weight on the trailer axles was 12,740.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:27 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
pull the tire off the trailer and look on the inside of the rim for a stamp.

I don't know if you actually have to dismount the tire off the rim and it would be stamped on the inside, perhaps.

Quick Reply: LT tires on fifth wheel