Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Cleaned up lots of overdue wiring. Looking better already.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 03:11 AM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Cleaned up lots of overdue wiring. Looking better already.

On my IDI van, I have lots of accessories, which leads to a lot of wiring. For the last 3 years, I've just been adding them to a couple electrical hubs, and it was getting hideous. Wires all over the underside of the dash, and it was dangling into the where the driver's feet were. I knew I was tempting fate by someone accidentally kicking a wire loose, or a wire rubbing its protection off, or a fuse could blow and I'd have no clue how to track down the problem.

So I had enough and looked for some decent quality fuse panel hubs and got to work.

This panel got good reviews and was really sturdy.
Amazon Amazon
Blue Sea Systems ST Blade ATO/ATC Fuse Blocks No flimsy garbage on this project.

I should have taken a "before" picture to show you how bad it was getting.

Here's a picture from a few years ago, and it was already looking sketchy then.

I started pulling the rats nest apart and bundling the wires by type and function. Then organized them into the fuse array. I replaced relays and installed relay housings (I had just been using wire connectors jammed into the relay before).

Here's the current progress. I still have all the grounds now to clean up and bundle tomorrow, but it's much better. And now, each component h has its own fuse, so if I get an issue, it should just blow the dedicated fuse.

More to go, but it's already 1000x better. If you are curious why i have so many fuses, I got a lot of systems. CB, Auber Guages, pillar gauges, solar panel array, Various relays, Aux driving lights, aux horn, diesel e-pump, veg e-pump, various selector valves, gearvendor overdrive (and custom relays to shut down when going in reverse and other conditions), and so on.

The fuse panels have nifty covers so that I can close them off. I plan to use tek screw to mount them thru the plastic directly into the metal, but for now it'll be fine to have them mounted into the plastic. It's a little tight next to the e-brake, but if I tek screw them in, i think they can take an accidental kick or two without getting damaged.

Onward

Old 03-07-2017, 04:53 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks good. I know we hat you mean about the rats nest. I should do that to miine some day