2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

The answer to why Ford lost the TFL Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 05:46 PM
Jbair14
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The answer to why Ford lost the TFL Challenge

After reading the whole RAM vs. Chevy vs. Ford thread (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...y-vs-ford.html) I saw several people trying to come up with the reason to why the ford did not win the heavy pull challenge up the mountain.

I have the answer, and I'm 100% confident with it.

First a little history, I live in Colorado and pull this pass on a monthly basis with anything from a 2 place snowmobile trailer to a 38' 16k lb toy hauler. I bought my 2015 6.7 in the fall of 2014 and pulled over the passes with a 7k lb boat and about went back to the dealer to get my 6.4 I had just traded in due to the lack of power on long grades. I had 6.0's with a mild tune and no head studs that would pull a trailer over the passes better than the 6.7

Now for the answer, FORD HAS A MAJOR ISSUE WITH ENGINE OIL TEMPERATURES and once the truck reaches 247* it defuels and you lose 30%+ of your power. For me with my toy hauler I could get about 25% - 35% of the way up "IKE" before I hit high temps and lost power. It runs absolutely great and would hold speed up the grade until the defuel. I did several things on my '15 6.7 to get it so I could run 65MPH over Eisonhower with my toy hauler. I went to a MDP remote oil cooler system, and had custom tunes made to not defuel. I still saw 284* EOT on a pull up Floyd hill which is East of Ike but I finally had the power to maintain the speed limit and accelerate up the hill if I needed to.

I was really hoping ford would address this with the roll out of the '17's but just towing a 4 place open snowmobile trailer ~4k lbs or less over the passes a few weekends ago I saw 246* temps. Before I delete or add any power on my '17 I'm going to figure out a better cooling system. In talks with absolute performance he's looking at making a larger cooler to replace the factory cooler that still works with the factory cooling system, rather than a kit similar to the MDP that is all air cooled.

I know we all want our new trucks to be the very best and we've come up with a lot of reasons to why it maybe wasn't. At the end of the day Ford has really dropped the ball on the engine oil cooling systems for the 6.7. The engine oil temps and defuel is exactly why it will win a drag race, but over a long pull it will heat up and defuel.

I've started this thread so that at some point I hope someone from Ford sees this and goes to the engineers to address it.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:52 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,821 Likes on 2,777 Posts
Jbair14, this is not what I want to hear. I'll be pulling my toy hauler over the same passes that you are. Mine is lighter, but your experience with the snowmobiles is worrisome.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:00 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,431 Likes on 1,024 Posts
hmmm I don't think so. 248 does not defuel yet. I know because I have hit 248 over that and over Monarch pass with an easy 16K and no defuel.

I was able to maintain 55 mph with my 2013 over the Ike.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:09 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,675 Likes on 1,658 Posts
Originally Posted by Jbair14
After reading the whole RAM vs. Chevy vs. Ford thread (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...y-vs-ford.html) I saw several people trying to come up with the reason to why the ford did not win the heavy pull challenge up the mountain.

I have the answer, and I'm 100% confident with it.

First a little history, I live in Colorado and pull this pass on a monthly basis with anything from a 2 place snowmobile trailer to a 38' 16k lb toy hauler. I bought my 2015 6.7 in the fall of 2014 and pulled over the passes with a 7k lb boat and about went back to the dealer to get my 6.4 I had just traded in due to the lack of power on long grades. I had 6.0's with a mild tune and no head studs that would pull a trailer over the passes better than the 6.7

Now for the answer, FORD HAS A MAJOR ISSUE WITH ENGINE OIL TEMPERATURES and once the truck reaches 247* it defuels and you lose 30%+ of your power. For me with my toy hauler I could get about 25% - 35% of the way up "IKE" before I hit high temps and lost power. It runs absolutely great and would hold speed up the grade until the defuel. I did several things on my '15 6.7 to get it so I could run 65MPH over Eisonhower with my toy hauler. I went to a MDP remote oil cooler system, and had custom tunes made to not defuel. I still saw 284* EOT on a pull up Floyd hill which is East of Ike but I finally had the power to maintain the speed limit and accelerate up the hill if I needed to.

I was really hoping ford would address this with the roll out of the '17's but just towing a 4 place open snowmobile trailer ~4k lbs or less over the passes a few weekends ago I saw 246* temps. Before I delete or add any power on my '17 I'm going to figure out a better cooling system. In talks with absolute performance he's looking at making a larger cooler to replace the factory cooler that still works with the factory cooling system, rather than a kit similar to the MDP that is all air cooled.

I know we all want our new trucks to be the very best and we've come up with a lot of reasons to why it maybe wasn't. At the end of the day Ford has really dropped the ball on the engine oil cooling systems for the 6.7. The engine oil temps and defuel is exactly why it will win a drag race, but over a long pull it will heat up and defuel.

I've started this thread so that at some point I hope someone from Ford sees this and goes to the engineers to address it.

Well, for me, last summer, going west on I-70 in Utah, pulling my Raptor, I was going up the hill west of Green River @ 108*F, cruise set at 67 and I saw 248-and matbe even 250 EOT with NO reduction in power, speed probably dropped down to 62-63, coolant temp came up a little on the stock gauge, but nothing to worry about.
And the last time I was on the "Davis Dam Hill", I had my 38' gooseneck hooked up with my RZR and some tools in it.....around 10K trailer weight.... I started half way up the hill and a late model Dodge pulling a bumper pull camper passed me as I was at the stop sign. I pulled out behind him,,,,,passed him before he reached the top the hill!!! Was he standing on it??? I don't know?? But, there have been damn few rigs pulling big that have ever passed me out here in the mountain west!! Regardless of what all the "tests" show. I am happy, and that my friend, is what counts in the end!

Old 03-06-2017, 06:31 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Geez. You're talking 15 seconds in a 10+ minute long rung.

Unless your prostate is sealed shut, you will never miss that 15 seconds.

Do you like your truck? Then just friggin' drive it.

Would ANY of you, even after seeing this video, buy the Chevy or the Ram?

Let it go.

No wonder people have trouble sleeping at night.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:43 PM
LOWRPMTORQUE
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jschira

Let it go.

Yep, a whooping 1 mph avg. difference. Also, if the Powerstroke did defuel it could have been caused by EGT. It seems like I remember new regulations were going into effect in 2017. The reason GM put the cold air intake on the hood of the 2017 trucks wasn't to add more power, it was to control induction temps/EGT pulling long grades. There are very tight perameters to control emissions on these trucks, egt must be controlled to keep emissions in check.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:48 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
15 seconds at 50 mph is like 900-1000 feet.

Unless you had some bad Mexican, 1000 feet really does not matter.

How many times are you going to hit a 7% grade 8 miles long in the average trip?

Old 03-06-2017, 06:49 PM
theboom
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Then how did the f450 towing 7k more + the extra weight of the 450 itself clime the hill only about 50 seconds slower and beat the ram towing the same amount by over a minute?

Old 03-06-2017, 09:47 PM
The Ace of Spades
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jschira

Let it go.

​​​​​​​okay, cool, you don't care, but is it okay with you if the rest of us chat about it? I mean, this is a forum right?

Old 03-06-2017, 09:56 PM
The Ace of Spades
More Turbo
Originally Posted by theboom
Then how did the f450 towing 7k more + the extra weight of the 450 itself clime the hill only about 50 seconds slower and beat the ram towing the same amount by over a minute?
yeah, this is very interesting indeed.
i'm interested to see if they run this same test with the SRW trucks. Of course it'll be a different weight, but I'd like to see this test again with different trucks.
That dually could have de-fueled, but if I had to guess I'd say it went into a passive regen. That's all it would take for a truck to fall behind in those conditions.
​​​​​​​i mean, it was sluggish from the start, they said as much, so I doubt it de-fueled that quickly.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:02 PM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by The Ace of Spades
yeah, this is very interesting indeed.
i'm interested to see if they run this same test with the SRW trucks. Of course it'll be a different weight, but I'd like to see this test again with different trucks.
That dually could have de-fueled, but if I had to guess I'd say it went into a passive regen. That's all it would take for a truck to fall behind in those conditions.
​​​​​​​i mean, it was sluggish from the start, they said as much, so I doubt it de-fueled that quickly.
As said in prior thread, regen is out as they did 2 Ike hauls w the SD, and chances of regens in both hauls quite unlikely.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:21 AM
JT_Guitar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15 seconds slower and -.2 mpg in a smoother, quieter, better looking, and more technologically advanced truck... Ford for the win.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:20 AM
The Ace of Spades
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Top_Speed1
As said in prior thread, regen is out as they did 2 Ike hauls w the SD, and chances of regens in both hauls quite unlikely.
​​​​​​​I guess I missed where they said they ran it twice. Where did you see that?

Old 03-07-2017, 05:24 AM
bronc71
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Ace of Spades
​​​​​​​I guess I missed where they said they ran it twice. Where did you see that?
It's on tfl truck web site Andre said they were shocked with the outcome of the Ford as well and did two runs and published the best of the two runs

Old 03-07-2017, 05:24 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,431 Likes on 1,024 Posts
in the readers comments section it was asked if there was a regen and they mention no and that they ran it twice to verify the results.

Quick Reply: The answer to why Ford lost the TFL Challenge