6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Idling time - warnings and risks

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 10:29 AM
steveg_nh
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just ordered that kit. Too slick to not have, even if I don't use it much. I like having a truck like this, with many ways to customize it! Tailgate assist goes in tonight, and Pop and Lock tailgate power lock soon.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:03 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Cool kit.

I couldn't justify the expense nor the need for an adjustable idle control. A $3 resistor and 3 butt connectors is all it cost me. I read here that a Ford Tech recommended a minimum of 1200rpm for high idle but don't remember why.

I just wish it worked with remote start so I didn't have to go outside and freeze first thing in the morning. The upfitter switches are inactive until the key is turned on.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:14 PM
doczenith1
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
To get an idea on the increased rpm's that the engine will do all by itself take a look at the rapid heat link in my signature. At 5 degrees F ambient temp it was idling at 1200 rpm. At 12 degrees F ambient temp it was idling at 950 rpm. In my experience with extended idling the truck will automatically raise the rpm to keep the engine oil temp around 150 degrees F. I noticed this after leaving the truck running while I was in a store. Came back and it was idling faster and the oil temp reading was around 150. It was around 190 degrees and idling at normal rpm when I went into the store.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:33 PM
steveg_nh
Senior User
Originally Posted by dirthawg
Cool kit.

I couldn't justify the expense nor the need for an adjustable idle control. A $3 resistor and 3 butt connectors is all it cost me. I read here that a Ford Tech recommended a minimum of 1200rpm for high idle but don't remember why.

I just wish it worked with remote start so I didn't have to go outside and freeze first thing in the morning. The upfitter switches are inactive until the key is turned on.
Ooh! You just made me think of something then. If remote start doesn't provide power to the upfitter switches, then your right, this won't work for that. That's not great. That's the primary reason I want it. I wonder if the kit, if not used with upfitter switches, gets power on remote start and would initiate high idle before the key is turned on...anyone know? This would be using the power lead at the kick panel per the instructions...

Old 03-07-2017, 01:36 PM
steveg_nh
Senior User
Originally Posted by doczenith1
To get an idea on the increased rpm's that the engine will do all by itself take a look at the rapid heat link in my signature. At 5 degrees F ambient temp it was idling at 1200 rpm. At 12 degrees F ambient temp it was idling at 950 rpm. In my experience with extended idling the truck will automatically raise the rpm to keep the engine oil temp around 150 degrees F. I noticed this after leaving the truck running while I was in a store. Came back and it was idling faster and the oil temp reading was around 150. It was around 190 degrees and idling at normal rpm when I went into the store.
So you're saying the built in high idle was self adjusting, in your belief?

Old 03-07-2017, 01:38 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by dirthawg
Cool kit.

Ya I have the same resistor for 1200 rpm and some butt connectors. Work fine. Mine had idled for a few hours ...... or .... 33 days LOL
(my truck is deleted tho)

Name:  20170307_122943_resized_zps23j7tw3j.jpg
Views: 17689
Size:  198.2 KB

Good luck, I am sure the kit will work great.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:41 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by steveg_nh
Not sure what exactly it is based on but yes it for sure is. Mine works just like doc says.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:52 PM
steveg_nh
Senior User
Originally Posted by darren32
Not sure what exactly it is based on but yes it for sure is. Mine works just like doc says.
Pretty cool data there!

I am continuing with the kit. I talked to the company BD Diesel, and he showed me right in the directions where it talks about how to wire for remote start, given that the ignition wire won't have power when on RS. It does mean I can't wire to the upfitter switch, but that's ok. I like the idea of using this at other times, than just when cold. For $65, no big deal. Install it and it's there if I want it.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:54 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Pretty cool data there!

I am continuing with the kit. I talked to the company BD Diesel, and he showed me right in the directions where it talks about how to wire for remote start, given that the ignition wire won't have power when on RS. It does mean I can't wire to the upfitter switch, but that's ok. I like the idea of using this at other times, than just when cold. For $65, no big deal. Install it and it's there if I want it.
That is awesome that it works on remote start. That makes it worth the $65 IMO.

Let us know how it works for you

Old 03-07-2017, 01:58 PM
steveg_nh
Senior User
Yup, just have to tie the yellow and red of the kit to the powered wire in the harness on the truck which is White/Brown Strip (I believe).

Old 03-07-2017, 02:03 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Yes, it does self adjust in a remote start. I have noticed that behavior multiple times...

If I remote start and it high idles up and gets the temp up, it will idle down, if the temp drops again, it will high idle back up. I've seen around 1500 rpm high idle, but that was when it was around -20F out. and it when up and down in rpm as the motor temp raised and fell. Motor cools off pretty quick in sub zero temps....

If you start it with a key, let it idle and walk away it will still high idle on it's own if the temp drops. (as long as the vehicle is in park). Here is where a high idle mod would help, with the key in, it does not seem to be as aggressive as a remote start in high idling.

It's why I say the high idle mod/kit isn't needed for your use.

High idle is use to prevent wet stacking... Higher rpms help to prevent that.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:11 PM
steveg_nh
Senior User
Got it. Thanks for the explanation. I have watched my truck on remote start in cold temps, after reading about this computer controlled temp senstiive high idle, and have never really seen my truck adjust...who know.

Like I said, the kit certainly doesn't hurt to have. Can always turn it off and then the truck is like it was before the kit. There are times, even with key in, that I would like to raise the idle after everything I've read. Especially when trailering my snowmobile trailer, and letting truck run with kids in truck (older kids, not young ones) in very cold temps, and for times of slightly extended idling with key in.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:25 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
No the kit is fine to have, it isn't a huge investment, especially if you base it on the cost the truck.

Darren - Wet stacking has been an issue with diesel way before DPFs and SCRs were invented, however, I do believe that a non-deleted truck can be hurt more by extended idling than a deleted one.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:10 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Dakster
Wet stacking has been an issue with diesel way before DPFs and SCRs were invented, however, I do believe that a non-deleted truck can be hurt more by extended idling than a deleted one.
Yeah, saturating the EGR cooler or DPF would be bad.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:22 AM
bayou barataria
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know how the high idle will affect engine temps in a hot climate? I would like to add the kit just for high electrical usage at idle, but don't want to overheat the engine. The summer temps average in the mid to upper 90's here.

Quick Reply: Idling time - warnings and risks