6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 12:00 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I really think after 3 winters here that studded tires are a requirement... Unless you live in the flatter areas of town and don't want to leave that area.

JS139 - Watch for sales and such as the legislature wants to up the tax per tire on studs from $5 to $50-$75... That's quite a tax increase.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:14 PM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I love the BFGoodrich bfg's the old design lasted forever the new ones are called BFG ko 2 they have more siphoning they seem to grab the ice. I also have them in 35 inch 13 inches wide and the truck plows in two wheel drive without a problem. I can't imagine how they wouldn't go better in a normal size 275 70 18 or if you're at the 20 I'm not quite sure what the factory size is but I'd imagine they go great. I do a lot more plowing now that I'm semi-retired as I said love them don't know if they'll last as good as the originals maybe 30,000 dead but the price of a softer rubber take care

Old 03-04-2017, 12:25 PM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Dakster
I really think after 3 winters here that studded tires are a requirement... Unless you live in the flatter areas of town and don't want to leave that area.

JS139 - Watch for sales and such as the legislature wants to up the tax per tire on studs from $5 to $50-$75... That's quite a tax increase.
I heard about the increase too. I'd think the tire dealerships would see a run on studded tires before the increase goes into effect. I wouldn't wait until that time as they'll run out of stock and take a couple weeks for a restock shipment probably.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:27 PM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
Forgot to say that those sucky winter Anchorage streets really do demand studded tires. They are terrible once winter really sets in.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:35 PM
camping nut
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Radium I also like my KO2s for the winter use but they are soft, they are wearing fast.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:06 PM
js139
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by radium
I love the BFGoodrich bfg's the old design lasted forever the new ones are called BFG ko 2 they have more siphoning they seem to grab the ice. I also have them in 35 inch 13 inches wide and the truck plows in two wheel drive without a problem. I can't imagine how they wouldn't go better in a normal size 275 70 18 or if you're at the 20 I'm not quite sure what the factory size is but I'd imagine they go great. I do a lot more plowing now that I'm semi-retired as I said love them don't know if they'll last as good as the originals maybe 30,000 dead but the price of a softer rubber take care
Those are probably the best all terrain tire i've seen. If those were studdable, I'd put a set of those on my truck in a second. Matter of fact, I love those tires so much, that is why I am thinking about a set of General Grabber AT2sm because they are similar. That said, I also agree with other on here that studded tires are pretty important here in Anchorage. I live up on a hill, so I have a bigger need for them then other people since alot of people don't have to mess with the hills in the winter.

I've been reading on the general grabbers and they are rated really well in the snow/ice. I am strongly considering them and will be talking to a tire shop in the next week or so. Would rather get them on before that $75/tire tax gets passed.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:07 PM
js139
Senior User

Why would we expect that they would reduce their salaries and/or per diem when they can just tax people for using studded tires in Alaska? Makes perfect sense to government officials.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:10 PM
js139
Senior User
Originally Posted by KodiakF250
Forgot to say that those sucky winter Anchorage streets really do demand studded tires. They are terrible once winter really sets in.
I totally agree. I was on a side street this last week and was rolling up to a stop sign. Didn't think about the ice as that stop sign is usually well sanded. I slid 20' right into the intersection and barely missed a mini van. A small investment in studs on a truck I'm going to keep for a long time seems well worth the price.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:29 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Been there, done that with the stop signs/lights... Usually end up steering towards the ditch. Luckily the few times I caught some snow on the side and it stopped me before entering the intersection or ending up in the ditch. Sometimes that "snow" isn't there though!

I also wait to make sure I see everyone actually stopping/stopped before I pull out at traffic lights... It has saved me from being t-boned a couple of times. (Of course, not only in the winter, but the summer as well)

Old 03-04-2017, 09:24 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,694 Likes on 2,750 Posts
I find the tax on studded tires interesting. There are so many knuckleheads here in Colorado that run their studded tires well into June. The studs can't be good for the streets.

True ice/snow tires are very soft. I burned through the driver's rear on my Titan when towing a trailer over a pass and back. The wear compared to the other three tires was incredible. Because of that I would swap to my load range "D" towing tires instead of the ice/snow tires when I was towing my regular trailer.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:29 PM
js139
Senior User
Been there, done that with the stop signs/lights... Usually end up steering towards the ditch. Luckily the few times I caught some snow on the side and it stopped me before entering the intersection or ending up in the ditch. Sometimes that "snow" isn't there though!

I also wait to make sure I see everyone actually stopping/stopped before I pull out at traffic lights... It has saved me from being t-boned a couple of times. (Of course, not only in the winter, but the summer as well)
i drive pretty conservative and I was going pretty slow. Last thing I was thinking by about. There was nothing anywhere to hook up to to stop. The truck wasn't going to turn or stop. It was just going to keep going.

I I watch for it now myself, both for me and other people. Got lucky I didn't have to test my big bumper.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:04 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Glad you didn't have to test your big bumper as I am sure the other person was too!

What I have done, if I am in 4wd and sliding, is turn the wheel and give it a little throttle and use it to move me towards the side of the road. I had to do that when I looked at a house in Bear Valley. There was a turn in the road (the end of the road was off a cliff) and I started sliding. (large pucker factor) However, I spotted a triangle of snow in the road where the cars don't normally run over, and it was "uphill" slightly so I aimed for it. Then I hit the "brakes" again. When I hit the snow came to a sudden stop.
Funny thing, the next day I brought my wife to look at it and they plowed the streets and removed my safety area of snow.... I made sure to go REALLY stupid slow leaving that day...

I have any other pointers - I am all ears. Certainly no expert on this at all... Next winter, we will have studded tires.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:38 AM
MJR777
Senior User
The latest compounding on the Bridgestone Blizzak tires is pretty amazing...They work very well down to -40C after that they become very hard, but still softer than an A/T type tire.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:30 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Not too much stays pliable at or lower than -40 C/F... (C and F are the same at -40)

Old 03-10-2017, 01:01 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
I run Nokian Hakkapeliitta AT2's. I have run both studded and non-studded versions of this tire on my Super Duty trucks. I have run this same tire on all 5 of them. I find the non-studded to be every bit as good as with the studs, and that's what I put on my new dually. These tires tend to kick out studs pretty easily, so I decided to go non-studded.

Quick Reply: Winter tires