Lacquer/Enamel/Urthane paints?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 12:18 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Lacquer/Enamel/Urthane paints?

Not have a clue when it comes to selecting types of paint? Looking at TCP Color Library found the Wimbledon White, and Sahara Beige comes in Acrylic Enamel, Acrylic Urethane, or Acrylic Lacquer and curious if one type is preferred over the other, and do they require a hardener, and reducer?

Old 02-28-2017, 01:40 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Lacquer.....

This was the oem standard up until the mid 60's......although Porsche, etc. continued with lacquer for many years after IIRR.....lacquer looks beautiful and is easy to repair but, it is very sift and scratches easy (even the acrylic)...... makes an excellent touch-up paint, but would not use this for any vehicle today...many states won't even allow you to receive it.

Enamels......the oem paint beginning in the mid 60's up through the 80's......a very good durable paint, looks nice but doesn't finish as nice as lacquer

Urethane......the best of the best....finishes as nice as lacquer, easy to repair, but is a very hard but flexible paint, meaning it doesn't scratch easily like lacquer but looks every bit of it!

All paints require reducer & hardner.....this should all be purchased at your local auto paint supplier IMHO......the reducer type is matched not only to the type/brand of paint but temp & humidity....hardners.....the paints today have Isocyianates....these are extremely deadly toxins that will absolutely damage your lungs, central nervous systems, kidneys, liver, bladder, etc.......there is no "good Exposure" as even one time inhalation, injestion, absorbsion or injection (via a cut) is more than enough to cause immediate illness (permanent) or long term...cancer.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:44 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Beechkid
Lacquer.....

Urethane......the best of the best....finishes as nice as lacquer, easy to repair, but is a very hard but flexible paint, meaning it doesn't scratch easily like lacquer but looks every bit of it!

All paints require reducer & hardner.....this should all be purchased at your local auto paint supplier IMHO......the reducer type is matched not only to the type/brand of paint but temp & humidity....hardners.....the paints today have Isocyianates....these are extremely deadly toxins that will absolutely damage your lungs, central nervous systems, kidneys, liver, bladder, etc.......there is no "good Exposure" as even one time inhalation, injestion, absorbsion or injection (via a cut) is more than enough to cause immediate illness (permanent) or long term...cancer.
I greatly appreciate the very helpful information. Decided rather than go thru TCP online, there are few local paint stores; contacted Finish Master Auto Paint Supplies few minutes ago, not familiar with them, but they said they can mix a batch of PPG 8378 Urethane in Wimbledon White, I will deny if asked, if the paint comes in a straight Urethane, or if I should order the Acrylic Urethane, or are they the same??

Again, I thank you, very helpful!!

Old 02-28-2017, 06:46 PM
Beechkid
FM is a very well known national supplier.....I use them too!!!! PPG is an excellent line of paint......and let them make the recommendations for the specific primers, fillers, paint line, reducer, hardner and guns for your needs....you will be very happy!

Old 02-28-2017, 06:51 PM
Beechkid
This was my previous truck...it was repainted by Ford (courtesy) about 10 years befor this pic was taken......this is PPG urethane basecoat/clearcoat

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...904a3e3a77.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...8b4c9711d0.jpg

Not the best pic, but this is my mustang......it is single stage PPG (back when it was known as Ditzler)....the paint is 30 years old and most painters don't realize it!

Old 02-28-2017, 06:55 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Beechkid
FM is a very well known national supplier.....I use them too!!!! PPG is an excellent line of paint......and let them make the recommendations for the specific primers, fillers, paint line, reducer, hardner and guns for your needs....you will be very happy!
I did purchase a couple of paint guns, item description should work well. After posting response realized paint supplier should provide specific reducer, hardener, primer, and filler to finish the task at hand.

Again, I be thanking U!!