Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M5od r1 vs r2 shifters.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 09:52 PM
brandonf150
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M5od r1 vs r2 shifters.

I've looked all over does anyone know 100% of the shifter are the same? I'm trying to find a short throw shifter and hear the r1 in the r2 would about 25% shorter shift. I want to see some proof or try it myself. Anyone tried or done it yet?

Old 02-28-2017, 09:57 AM
Motorhead351
Posting Guru
Are you asking whether a stock r1 ranger shifter, will have a shorter throw than a stock f150 r2? I think theres no mechanical difference but the handle length is shorter.
I've seen mention that the short shifter, intended for an r1 and r2 of similar year, ranger/f150 should interchange. The shifter handle is shorter for the ranger r1, and replacement handles aren't cheap, new or used.
I became tired of waiting for an original Hurst unit to pop up in the used market, so I bought the core-hurst m5r2 piece, this way the handle length/ placement, is near stock. They have a website, but sell through eBay.
It cut the shift throw significantly.
I measured the following travel distance(s) before and after.
First to second. Stock 4.5". Hurst 3.5"
Second to fifth. Stock 7.5". Hurst 4"
First to fifth. Stock 3.5". Hurst 1.75"
https://core-shifters.com/collections/shifters-for-f150

Old 02-28-2017, 10:02 AM
brandonf150
Freshman User
Did you look anywhere to see about the r1 Shifter? Any info on that? I can possibly get one being I have access to accounts the parts stores do and can find things for their cost. Lol

Old 02-28-2017, 10:16 AM
Motorhead351
Posting Guru
I understand but the Hurst r1 piece is intended for a ranger and the handle that comes with it, will likely be too short, and replacement handles are not cheap, new or used, I've checked, as I too thought about picking up a Hurst unit for a ranger, used, but guys were still wanting $200+ for used pieces and replacement/ longer handles are $50+, so it might be as effective to just bite the bullet and get the core-hurst r2 piece. But that's my opinion. All I can tell you, is a guy told me directly, he bought an r1 ranger short shifter and it went right into his r2 f150. I also read on a ranger forum, that guys had interchanged the two. The only real difference is around 98 the shifter base on the trans, both r1 and r2 was taller, in turn the stub on the shifter is longer. So you'll want an r1 piece intended for a similar year as your truck. If your buying at a local parts house, I'd see if they allow returns on that item, try it, return if it doesn't work, but I'm fairly confident it should.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:19 AM
brandonf150
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Motorhead351
I understand but the Hurst r1 piece is intended for a ranger and the handle that comes with it, will likely be too short, and replacement handles are not cheap, new or used, I've checked, as I too thought about picking up a Hurst unit for a ranger, used, but guys were still wanting $200+ for used pieces and replacement/ longer handles are $50+, so it might be as effective to just bite the bullet and get the core-hurst r2 piece.

But that's my opinion. All I can tell you, is a guy told me he bought an r1 shirt shifter and it went right into his r2 f150. I also read on a ranger forum, that guys had interchanged the two. The only real difference is around 98 the shifter base on the trans, both r1 and r2 was taller, in turn the stub on the shifter is longer. So you'll want an r1 piece intended for a similar year as your truck. If your buying at a local parts house, I'd see if they allow returns on that item, try it, return if it doesn't work.
may get it just to try it then give some answers and return it just to see some differences in the Hurst and the r1 swap. Cause I'd like it to be shorter. But for that much it's questioning it's worth. Lol

Old 02-28-2017, 10:32 AM
Motorhead351
Posting Guru
It is alot to spend on something that's not really needed. I'm cheap and I felt some buyers remorse after I purchased mine but, once that settled, I honestly don't regret getting it.
​​​The stock shifter was like swinging a boat oar compared to this thing.
The only negative, and it's minor, but these short shifter setups have little in the way of noise dampening built in, so all the mechanical movement inside the trans, becomes a constant noise, much like white noise or the sound you get when a radio is set on a bad channel, that will emit from the shifter handle, constantly, in my case it's not too bad but it's definitely noticable on cool days with the windows up and radio off. So like most things, there's always a trade off.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:36 AM
brandonf150
Freshman User
I understand but the Hurst r1 piece is intended for a ranger and the handle that comes with it, will likely be too short, and replacement handles are not cheap, new or used, I've checked, as I too thought about picking up a Hurst unit for a ranger, used, but guys were still wanting $200+ for used pieces and replacement/ longer handles are $50+, so it might be as effective to just bite the bullet and get the core-hurst r2 piece. But that's my opinion. All I can tell you, is a guy told me directly, he bought an r1 ranger short shifter and it went right into his r2 f150. I also read on a ranger forum, that guys had interchanged the two. The only real difference is around 98 the shifter base on the trans, both r1 and r2 was taller, in turn the stub on the shifter is longer. So you'll want an r1 piece intended for a similar year as your truck. If your buying at a local parts house, I'd see if they allow returns on that item, try it, return if it doesn't work, but I'm fairly confident it should.
It is alot to spend on something that's not really needed. I'm cheap and I felt some buyers remorse after I purchased mine but, once that settled, I honestly don't regret getting it.
​​​The stock shifter was like swinging a boat oar compared to this thing.
The only negative, and it's minor, but these short shifter setups have little in the way of noise dampening built in, so all the mechanical movement inside the trans, becomes a constant noise, much like white noise or the sound you get when a radio is set on a bad channel, that will emit from the shifter handle, constantly, in my case it's not too bad but it's definitely noticable on cool days with the windows up and radio off. So like most things, there's always a trade off.
I found the r1 shifter but it's cost is the same so I might as well go that route. If i were to try the stock r1 shifter then I'd probably be getting it from junkyard and be disappointed. So looks like I'll be forking up the cash for the r2 one when I decide it'd be nice to have. It won't be just yet but when I do I'll also post some before and after numbers from it to see what can be done with it. Thanks for the input and link to buy for sure.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:35 PM
Motorhead351
Posting Guru
Yep. Sounds like a plan.