Sponsored by: Moser

4x4 conversion, late model axles

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 08:33 PM
fordatic
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 conversion, late model axles

I am in middle of building one crewcab cummins project, which I used parts from five trucks to build the rolling chassis, the front section of frame, 6BT, eaton 5 speed and front suspension came from a UPS truck, the rear frame section came from another big box truck. the rear suspension/ srings is from a 1991 f250 with air bags. the axles are from a 2001 F350, the divorced t case is from a 77 f250, The cab is a 78 f250 crewcab , an old state truck, the cab was the best I could find and it has the typical roof rot. I sorta stalled on the project cause the cab is a bit rough, not that rust scares me, I've just dealt with it so much on some of the old mustangs i have built I just really didn't want to get into it on this truck. several other things have to be done and figured out on the build too, body mounts, steering, mounting t case, setting engine back etc. All that to say.

I recently acquired a much better condition and nearly complete 79 F350 ranger XLT Crewcab, that i initially thought would be a good cab to set on my chassis but now I'm thinking of just converting this truck to a 4x4. I know most will say its best to start with a 4x4 truck, but finding these in 4x4 is tough unless you are out west. I'm just looking for others that have done the conversion to get ideas. I'm thinking I prefer to go with late model axles from a 2005 and up with coil spring front, I was already thinking of changing the first project to coil spring front. I think it would be easier and the ride much better than leaf springs. I know the early vs late frame widths is an issue. I have fabrication and welding abilities so i'm not concerned with that. What have others done in converting their trucks to 4x4?

And by the way my first project is for sale, but i got so much in it, not sure I can get what I need for it. have considered parting it out.

Attached Images    
Old 02-27-2017, 09:03 PM
fordmotorsports1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't give up. I have watched your crew cab project on clist for quite sometime. I too have a 2wd f250 crew and eventually I am going to make it 4x4 with a 12v and manual transmission. I myself have too many projects and too little time.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:13 PM
Nerdy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordatic
I am in middle of building one crewcab cummins project, which I used parts from five trucks to build the rolling chassis, the front section of frame, 6BT, eaton 5 speed and front suspension came from a UPS truck, the rear frame section came from another big box truck. the rear suspension/ srings is from a 1991 f250 with air bags. the axles are from a 2001 F350, the divorced t case is from a 77 f250, The cab is a 78 f250 crewcab , an old state truck, the cab was the best I could find and it has the typical roof rot. I sorta stalled on the project cause the cab is a bit rough, not that rust scares me, I've just dealt with it so much on some of the old mustangs i have built I just really didn't want to get into it on this truck. several other things have to be done and figured out on the build too, body mounts, steering, mounting t case, setting engine back etc. All that to say.

I recently acquired a much better condition and nearly complete 79 F350 ranger XLT Crewcab, that i initially thought would be a good cab to set on my chassis but now I'm thinking of just converting this truck to a 4x4. I know most will say its best to start with a 4x4 truck, but finding these in 4x4 is tough unless you are out west. I'm just looking for others that have done the conversion to get ideas. I'm thinking I prefer to go with late model axles from a 2005 and up with coil spring front, I was already thinking of changing the first project to coil spring front. I think it would be easier and the ride much better than leaf springs. I know the early vs late frame widths is an issue. I have fabrication and welding abilities so i'm not concerned with that. What have others done in converting their trucks to 4x4?

And by the way my first project is for sale, but i got so much in it, not sure I can get what I need for it. have considered parting it out.
Interesting build. If you still want to sell it, I've sent a PM.