2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Always hot upfitter switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 01:58 PM
CO Wapiti
Elder User
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Always hot upfitter switch

I remember reading in the Super Duty brochure that the two 40 amp upfitter switches were always hot. I just got done installing an Air Lift air bag system with the heavy duty remote compressor. I spent an hour dismantling the battery tray / coolant overflow to cut loose the upfitter wires and tested the the lead for #5 switch. It would only work with the key turned to accessory (I have an XLT with the Mykey). I never did check the other leads for an always hot circut. Has Ford changed their setup? Are any of them ALWAYS ot? By the way, the Air Lift system works great. I did purchase the Ultimate 5000 that has the jounce bumpers. One other member hated the jounce bumpers within the bags on this system but the truck seems to ride the same as stock unlkoaded with only 5 lbs of air in the bags though I havn't tested it with any weight yet.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:08 PM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 267 Likes on 207 Posts
Lightbulb

Check out this Ford "How To" video:

This bulletin may help as well.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Old 02-27-2017, 02:24 PM
CO Wapiti
Elder User
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey SDcrewzer, thank you very much. It would be nice if they put that in the owner's manual. This is the reason I love this forum. Also, I would have gone crazy looking for the wires if it weren't for this forum. Again, cheers to you SDcrewzer

Old 02-27-2017, 03:00 PM
silver_pilate
Tuned
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
It's indirectly in the owner's manual. It points you to the fleet Ford site when discussing the upfitter control module. Unfortunately, that site is less that intuitive to use. Here is the specific bulletin:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q-252.pdf

And here is the page will all the available bulletins:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/qvmp.html

--Nathan

Old 02-27-2017, 03:36 PM
Fishermanbb
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CO Wapiti
I remember reading in the Super Duty brochure that the two 40 amp upfitter switches were always hot. I just got done installing an Air Lift air bag system with the heavy duty remote compressor. I spent an hour dismantling the battery tray / coolant overflow to cut loose the upfitter wires and tested the the lead for #5 switch. It would only work with the key turned to accessory (I have an XLT with the Mykey). I never did check the other leads for an always hot circut. Has Ford changed their setup? Are any of them ALWAYS ot? By the way, the Air Lift system works great. I did purchase the Ultimate 5000 that has the jounce bumpers. One other member hated the jounce bumpers within the bags on this system but the truck seems to ride the same as stock unlkoaded with only 5 lbs of air in the bags though I havn't tested it with any weight yet.
CO Wapiti - If you don't mind me asking -

The heavy duty compressor you got from Airlift: Is that the one with dual (Separate) feeds for the airbags?

Where did you end up mounting the compressor and the relay?

Any thoughts about using the new 7500 series bags?

I am going to install the bags when I get my truck (Soon as it is waiting for shipping) and I want to install the system you have but I was concerned about finding a mounting position for the larger compressor.

Any info would be very helpful. Thanks!