1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

dana 60 knuckles

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 04:20 PM
Matt Newby
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dana 60 knuckles

I was wondering if anyone knew of a place to buy a passenger side dana 60 knuckle for a 97 f350. I have looked quite a bit and found alot of places that will do the machine work for high steer but they don't have any core knuckles to exchange with. This presents the problem that my truck is my daily driver and I can't afford to be with out it for 2 or 3 weeks. It seems the machine work is cheap but the time to ship machine and ship back is a killer. If anyone has any leads on where to find one that would be awesome. There is nothing wrong with the knuckle on my truck I am just hoping to get one to send off for machining and then swap it when it gets back.

Any help would be great,

Thanks

Old 02-19-2017, 10:05 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Very interested in watching your progress as I have considered a high steer to eliminate the goofy factory steering that makes tie rod roll a part of its steering function.

For what it is worth, I have a set of '94 knuckles (with slide brake calipers rather than the '95-'97 bolt-on brake calipers) that I can't use. I need the newer style. If, somehow, these can be converted to bolt-on style, or they are otherwise useful in your endeavor, I can front you a knuckle.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:02 AM
Matt Newby
Junior User
Wow thanks I really do appreciate the offer, however I am like you stuck needing the bolt on caliper style.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:24 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Who does the machining and what steering pieces does this use or reuse?

I'll keep my eyes open. I have a '94 D60 with 4.10 gears that I need to convert to the newer brake style. I will likely just move knuckles from one axle to the other and replace my ball joints too. But, I have a few dollars worth of interest in finding someone to swap complete axles (with 4.10 and bolt-on brake calipers) or just the knuckles and do all of this in advance.

If we found an extra set somehow, affordably, you could use its knuckle for your core/exchange.

Also, if it is worth the work, you could install my old knuckle assembly while yours is being machined? Might not be worth the extra parts needed though. Just a thought...

Old 02-20-2017, 12:06 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep in mind any bolt on caliper knuckle for a dana 50 TTb axle is a direct swap. I used to pull the knuckles, calipers, and spindles and toss the rest to the scrap yard. I'm am almost positive this goes for the dodges as well. Its a direct swap. I'd have to double check but I am 99.9% positive, and they will be much easier to find even if its off a 30 or 35 spline outer axle.

Keep in mind not to confuse this with a super duty knuckle. They also swap between 50/60, but are not usable going to an OBS axle.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:05 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by nossliw
Keep in mind any bolt on caliper knuckle for a dana 50 TTb axle is a direct swap.
Really? This would be awesome if true as I still have the '96 TTB....

Old 02-20-2017, 01:11 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LeoJr
Really? This would be awesome if true as I still have the '96 TTB....
I'd go take a look then... like I said I am almost positive but don't want to lead you down the wrong path. I know the hub, and caliper are if bolt on 95+, hence I'm not sure what would change minus the steering linkage counter bore, but you are going to hi-steer and boring out so I would not think twice about it.

I believe the spindles are different though, the Spindles off a 50 when swapped to a 60 will not engage into the knuckle... the index is different, I know this is true on a pre 94, however I have not compared a 50 post 95 to a post 95 d60 bj axles, and I think they do swap right accross. the 95+ bolt on caliper was an upgrade over the stupid bushin pin calipers of the past. I have seen fellas go from old to new, and this makes me think its completely possible to go either way when having both axles sitting there and all the parts to swap.

Let me know if you get a chance to follow up....

Old 02-20-2017, 02:04 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
If this is correct, I also have most of my '97 TTB if someone needs a set of knuckles.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:42 PM
Matt Newby
Junior User
the places that do the machine work are called SKY Manufacturing and 4 wheel supply. the prices are really very good for the amount of work they are doing. how ever as far as the dana 50 knuckles fitting i wish that would work but i was looking at the ball joints and while the top joints share the same part number the bottom joints have totally different numbers. i am by no means an expert and i could be way off base.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:08 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
I won't be able to wrestle mine side-by-side for awhile so I'll google some images, but am not hopeful.

Are you going to be lifting the 6" minimum Sky says is needed?

Old 02-20-2017, 08:21 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
The two are D50, the single is a D60.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:42 PM
Matt Newby
Junior User
I have read multiple times in other threads and forums that the stated 6 inch lift is not needed. Others have done it using as little as a leveling kit. So I guess I will play that part by ear.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:56 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
D50 and D60 knuckles are not the same. Neither are the spindles.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:03 AM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
That's what I thought. I knew the spindles were different and was pretty sure about the knuckles too.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:52 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
When I get my front leafs sorted out I may used this guy's front steering pieces. I find the website really hard to navigate, but it looks like a good product. Genuine Bullet Proof Steering Systems, Track Bar Kits, Pitman & Steering Arms

Quick Reply: dana 60 knuckles