First hookup with 5th wheel and Andersen hitch

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 04:21 PM
Flyct
Cargo Master
Received 629 Likes on 418 Posts
Originally Posted by REPO.
What brand of pucks are you using? It looks like they fit very well with the holes/Andersen.
Im using Ford Factory supplied pucks that came with the truck. These appear to be similar to Reese pucks designed for Ford OEM System https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...e/RP30134.html

Old 03-31-2017, 06:34 AM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by workingdan
I placed 3/4" tape across the pucks in a cross than I set the hitch on the ball and transferred the center lines with a straight edge to the hitch.I cut them 1 at a time checking after the first hole to make sure it fit properly. I used a 3" hole saw and cleaned up the hole with a half round file. They came out pretty close.
Great idea!

Old 03-31-2017, 10:04 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Siriustoo
I'm now strongly considering the AUH. Does anyone know if you can install the hitch on top of the Ford factory rubber bed mat?
I pull my mat out as I don't want holes in it.

I found this 1/4" thick rubber tread mat at a farm and ranch store for about $3 a foot.

It it works great and doesn't chew up the bed.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:51 AM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
To follow up on flipping the adapter, I tried it out this way and found that with the 6.75" box, the AUH in the "short bed position", and the adapter positioned so the pin is forward of the ball, the trailer can contact the rear glass now, but it would need to be a very tight turn to do so. Tighter than I think we would need to do in normal circumstances. I'm still able to back into the trailer with my tailgate down and can still swing the door open on the forward storage compartment. I like moving the trailer over the truck more, so I think I'll leave it this way and do my best to remember to not pop the rear window on that tight of a turn. It would be hard to miss the trailer corner being that close to the rear window.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:41 PM
whooboy
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is mine. I took the old hitch out, cut a hole for the goose-neck ball, and mounted the hitch. While I was at it, I climbed under and marked the aft puck holes with a Sharpie in case I wanted to cut holes for the chain anchors. After hooking up, I found I was going to have to mount the king-pin adapter with the ball to the rear to give me clearance in a tight turn. The pictures of the trailer hitched show it in about an 80 degree turn and it has plenty of room. Now I need to figure out where to hook up my break-away cable. Any ideas?

Old 04-02-2017, 08:52 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Good question. I have the steel rail mount. The base has handles and I used a carabiner to connect the safety cable to the handle. I am going to switch to the AUH like yours and it looks like I might have to drill a hole in the logo plate or use one of the safety chain loops somehow. Or a zip tie around one of the back legs with a carabiner. You could always call Andersen, but thousands have figured it out and maybe someone will respond with a good solution.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:38 AM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
I have a couple quick links attached to each corner tie down making it easier to connect to those with a bed liner and attach the break away to one of those.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:00 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,176 Likes on 1,069 Posts
I hook my B-A-W cable inside the pin that secures the ball to the correct height. Pull the pin hook the cable inside re-insert the pin. Works for me.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:30 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I have the lanyard looped around the a-arm and then a carribeaner that connects to a ring on the plastic clip baw.

ie I leave the lanyard on my hitch so I don't have to climb into the bed. When I'm not hitched up I just tie off the lanyard to the rear tie down on the truck box.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:14 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Pete, does your trailair pin box help?
I have the trailair, no airbags, that came on my 5er and was tempted to get one like yours but I am wondering if I need it on top of the AUH.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:18 PM
SecondChance
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ssunit1
Pete, does your trailair pin box help?
I have the trailair, no airbags, that came on my 5er and was tempted to get one like yours but I am wondering if I need it on top of the AUH.
We used a Demco Glide Ride pin box with our Andersen Ultimate (about 15K mils). It helped a LOT!

Ron

Old 04-04-2017, 11:03 PM
whooboy
Mountain Pass
The TrailAir really helps a lot. I used to have the Tri-Glide jaw on it but wore it out in Alaska and had to have it welded such that it didn't work like it was supposed to. The pin box air bag absorbs a lot of up and down jouncing. The Tri-Glide took care of a lot of the "chucking". Most pin box manufacturers make either the up-down motion damper (Lippert TrailAir, 5th Airborne) or a chucking damper (Demco, Morryde), but no one makes both. TrailAir has come out with a bottom jaw that has rubber in it to alleviate the chucking problem. I haven't gotten any feedback yet to see it it works. It is expensive. I've had this hitch for a long time--this is the second 5th wheel it's been on and it's an '09. I really like it.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:16 AM
cnm_mike
Senior User
question for those 2017 short bed owners. What is the distance between the Anderson ball and the back window?

Mike

Old 04-22-2017, 06:44 AM
Fentonjoe
Freshman User
[QUOTE=whooboy;17083796]Here is mine. I took the old hitch out, cut a hole for the goose-neck ball, and mounted the hitch. While I was at it, I climbed under and marked the aft puck holes with a Sharpie in case I wanted to cut holes for the chain anchors. After hooking up, I found I was going to have to mount the king-pin adapter with the ball to the rear to give me clearance in a tight turn. The pictures of the trailer hitched show it in about an 80 degree turn and it has plenty of room. Now I need to figure out where to hook up my break-away cable. Any ideas?

That's a nice Rv storage lot, wish we had one here in the mitten. Also wish I saw this thread before buying my companion hitch, about had a hernia taking out of the bed yesterday.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:11 PM
ZooDad
Received 663 Likes on 385 Posts
[QUOTE=Fentonjoe;17133696]
Originally Posted by whooboy
Here is mine. I took the old hitch out, cut a hole for the goose-neck ball, and mounted the hitch. While I was at it, I climbed under and marked the aft puck holes with a Sharpie in case I wanted to cut holes for the chain anchors. After hooking up, I found I was going to have to mount the king-pin adapter with the ball to the rear to give me clearance in a tight turn. The pictures of the trailer hitched show it in about an 80 degree turn and it has plenty of room. Now I need to figure out where to hook up my break-away cable. Any ideas?

That's a nice Rv storage lot, wish we had one here in the mitten. Also wish I saw this thread before buying my companion hitch, about had a hernia taking out of the bed yesterday.
I put my breakaway over the lockdown bolts. Works great.

Quick Reply: First hookup with 5th wheel and Andersen hitch