Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 06:59 AM
lobo2051
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stereo Bezel/climate control upgrade

existing stereo/climate controls

new bezel/climate controls

Hello all, newbie to the forum. I'm replacing the stock stereo HU with an android tablet in my 2013 STX. I have the main guts of the tablet system functioning and tied into the truck speakers. Nav works, radio, media streaming, backup camera, etc... But to do a quality install that looks OEM, I'd really like to use the stereo bezel from an FX4 with the navigation. the opening in that bezel makes it very simple to install a tablet behind it.

However, from the images I've seen it appears the climate control plug is different. I think the FX4 climate control went through the touch screen interface - so it makes sense it would plug into the radio with the VOL/Tune **** from the bezel.

I'm notlooking for any automatic temperature controls - the **** and buttons on the dash givesufficient control capabilities for me. Does anyone have any experience withthis?

Please forgive my ignorance regarding forum etiquette and let me know if Ishould start a completely new thread on this.

Thanks, Lon

Old 02-15-2017, 07:26 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey Lon, first off, Welcome to the FTE .
I'm actually doing a stereo upgrade myself, and my new goodies are scheduled to be here today. My 2013 has the 4.2" screen so it's a different stereo than you have.
I'm getting a Maestro K150 dash kit that looks bone stock, right down to the color and texture, ***** and buttons for climate control.
It uses a Maestro idatalink that will give the stereo way more function that the truck even has, you see it in the youtube video I'm attaching.
And then I'm using a brand new reciever for 2017 through Kenwood, then DDX794, almost 7"s.
In the last stereo stuff that I returned to Crutchfield, the plug in for climate control was exactly the same as stock. But my truck does not, have dual climate control, maybe you do.
Let me know if I can help.

Unk Bob

Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2017, 09:37 AM
lobo2051
New User
Good to meet you Unk Bob. I do like the video on the Maestro link - that may be very helpful for me. And the prices on their link and harness are really reasonable. However, I just got off the phone with them and they are rather unwilling to get involved unless I'm going to use a head unit on their approved list.

What are you doing with your bezel and stereo? I do not have dual climate control, nor do I want it. What is really pushing me to use the FX4 dash bezel is it is the best solution to maintain OEM looking VOL/TUNE ****. The buttons and **** on yours are actually exactly what I'm looking for, but I need the bezel from the FX4 to mount my tablet.

My system is working fairly well right now, but I'm going through my stock stereo. I would like to get rid of sync all together, but if the maestro system allows the steering wheel control to bypass sync and go straight to the head unit controls - that might wind up being a simpler/cleaner way to get my system to work the way I want.

Any chance you'd be willing to donate your left overs?
Lon

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-15-2017, 09:47 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by lobo2051
Good to meet you Unk Bob. I do like the video on the Maestro link - that may be very helpful for me. And the prices on their link and harness are really reasonable. However, I just got off the phone with them and they are rather unwilling to get involved unless I'm going to use a head unit on their approved list.

What are you doing with your bezel and stereo? I do not have dual climate control, nor do I want it. What is really pushing me to use the FX4 dash bezel is it is the best solution to maintain OEM looking VOL/TUNE ****. The buttons and **** on yours are actually exactly what I'm looking for, but I need the bezel from the FX4 to mount my tablet.

My system is working fairly well right now, but I'm going through my stock stereo. I would like to get rid of sync all together, but if the maestro system allows the steering wheel control to bypass sync and go straight to the head unit controls - that might wind up being a simpler/cleaner way to get my system to work the way I want.

Any chance you'd be willing to donate your left overs?
Lon
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the stock stereo.
From what I've been told from the dealer I bought my stuff through is that Kenwood and the Maestro idatalink work really well together.
And yes when setting up the idatalink, there are downloads to do. There you can choose to keep the Sync, Steering Wheel controls, back up sensors etc.
I'm not keeping the Sync. The Kenwood's Mic will take place of the phone through Sync. And it works better than the Sync in my truck.
The idatalink will let me keep the steering wheel controls for the new stereo.

Unk Bob

Old 02-15-2017, 09:53 AM
lobo2051
New User
Just sent you a PM with my contact info. I'd be interested in taking your OEM stuff off your hands pending the $$$. I'm down in Savannah.
Lon

Old 02-15-2017, 10:04 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by lobo2051
Just sent you a PM with my contact info. I'd be interested in taking your OEM stuff off your hands pending the $$$. I'm down in Savannah.
Lon

I did get your PM.
I'll call you soon.

Unk Bob