Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

tranny issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 10:19 PM
Leediesel94
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tranny issues?

Ok quick question. I have a 94 7.3 4x4 auto. It's idi and turbo. And am looking to switch it to a 5speed transmission. I can get a good deal on one out of a 95 powerstroke. My concerns are. Will it work and what all will I need for this change. I'm a newbie in the diesel world. Any help and advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-03-2017, 08:23 AM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Leediesel94
Ok quick question. I have a 94 7.3 4x4 auto. It's idi and turbo. And am looking to switch it to a 5speed transmission. I can get a good deal on one out of a 95 powerstroke. My concerns are. Will it work and what all will I need for this change. I'm a newbie in the diesel world. Any help and advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Should work. You'll need the crossmember, front and rear driveshafts, pedal assembly from the same truck (NOT 87-91 they aren't the same), I got the dog house cover since it already has the hole for the shifter as well or you can cut your own. Shifter, boot, PRNDL cover (option, it's just cosmetic), flywheel, clutch, slave, clutch master, throw out bearing, fork, etc ( you can probably buy it all in a kit like I did) and the clutch hydraulic line coming from the master to the slave. I think i hit the big things I can't think of anything else on the top of my head I'm sure people will chime in as well! Good luck! It's not that difficult of a job, really.

edit: you can also switch the column out so that it doesn't have the auto shifter. Again it's only cosmetic. My truck still has the original auto shifter.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:24 AM
Herb Brooks
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmuenchow
Should work. You'll need the crossmember, front and rear driveshafts, pedal assembly from the same truck (NOT 87-91 they aren't the same), I got the dog house cover since it already has the hole for the shifter as well or you can cut your own. Shifter, boot, PRNDL cover (option, it's just cosmetic), flywheel, clutch, slave, clutch master, throw out bearing, fork, etc ( you can probably buy it all in a kit like I did) and the clutch hydraulic line coming from the master to the slave. I think i hit the big things I can't think of anything else on the top of my head I'm sure people will chime in as well! Good luck! It's not that difficult of a job, really.

edit: you can also switch the column out so that it doesn't have the auto shifter. Again it's only cosmetic. My truck still has the original auto shifter.
I have most of this stuff. lack cross member, drivelines, cover. Have clutch and flywheel from a 6.9. All for sale.
Doner truck is 94 F350 dually super cab. Working with another member on cab shell. But can you say BUNDLE. Btw have a zf5 to go with it. needed one with provision for mechanical speedo. This one reads from the rear axel same as yours. Can you say cheep.